Menu

Algebra woes....

I would very much like to have your suggestions on which math to use. My son is 11th grade. He did very well in pre-algebra, but we have never really seemed to get very far with Algebra I.

I have a complete set of Videotext A-F (VHS) and Lial's Intro & Lial's Interm Algebra books w/dvts (my oldest son used Lial when he had to take developmental math at college, so I saved them). As you can see, another son who didn't do so well in math at home.

We used Teaching Textbooks for prealgebra, and it worked fine. When we tried TT for algebra I, it didn't work so well. I started tyring to work in videotext and lial for the remainder of the year and quickly noticed, these two have different teaching techniques (ex. add a negative as opposed to just saying subtract from both sides, etc). I am wanting to start at the beginning of either Videotext or Lial introductory. However, I don't know which one. I want the one that gives the best explanation and easiest to understand, since I don't feel he ever really grasped the concepts from the start. I am in no way a math person...I see things I like and dislike in both programs. I am totally confused and tired of switching in the middle of the year. As it stands now, my son says he doesn't want to go to college, BUT I do want him to take the SAT or ACT. We only have 2 years left and if nothing else, I would want him to have at least a good foundation in algebra I. Sorry this is so long.

Thanks for your help,

Connie

I am a HUGE fan of Math Relief. I know you've invested a lot already, & I don't know what to say about that. But Math Relief is a teacher just plain gifted in making Algebra simple. Other programs are teaching a whole range of math & even if they're good, they're not going to be truly gifted in teaching every single math topic.

Julie

Both of the programs you already have are good.

I use Lial with my online classes (and my own dds) so I'm more familiar with it.

In 90% of struggling Algebra student cases it all comes down to a few MINOR concepts that the programs do not address... think of it as more of a learning style issue. Once these errors in logic are addressed and remediated the student can move on. With independent programs the student does not have a way of asking their own questions as they build their logical reasoning... video supplements can help--but in casess like your son a 'real' teacher/tutor with experience can observe how your son attempts problems and can SEE where he needs assistance/practice.

My oldest graduated this year with 2 high school math credits--and I'm a math teacher! Some students are just not math people... My dd worked Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 with each taking 2 years. My dd did just fine with the CC placement test and is THRILLED that all she needs is one more semester of math for her degree/certification!!!

Ditto what Jann said -- is it at all possible for you to find someone to tutor? If money is an issue, and you're near a university, you could call the math department and ask for recommendations -- at my undergrad, people (sometimes homeschoolers, sometimes not) would do so quite frequently and be directed to the most reliable of the upperclassmen. They were quite a lot cheaper and (IMO, self-promoting :)) did an adequate job.

Edited by kiana
typos

If you use a math tutor, make sure it is one who is good with people who aren't math people. Most people who become math tutors do so because they are great in math. In fact, they are so good in math that they may not understand what your child is having problems in. I remember when in sixth grade, a nun decided that since I was good in math, I should teach a girl who wasn't any good in math about decimals. To me, decimals were extremely easy. I couldn't wrap my head around what her problem was. I am just warning that there are tutors out there who are great at tutoring advanced kids but would not be a good fit for struggling learners.

Connie,

I second Jann's advice. However, if finding a tutor or some other form of outsourcing isn't feasible I suggest that you choose between Lial's and VT based on the one you find easiest to understand. If you can't outsource and your son is struggling he's going to need some help. Here's a brief outline of what I used several years ago based on some excellent advice from Jann and some of the other mathy folks who post here.

1. Watch the video component and read the lesson explanation (Lial's) or coursenotes (VT)

2. Work a couple of practice problems for your own review.

3. Use the solutions manual to analyze daily work, quizzes, and exams. (My son graded his own daily work. We discussed the problems he'd missed. If he made careless errors, I assigned more problems. If he didn't understand a concept we repeated a lesson and sometimes used another math book for reference.)

I don't know how much time you have available, but we used VT and I usually spent 30-40 minutes a day.

HTH,

Martha

P.S. I'm not a mathy person and it had been decades since I'd done algebra.

Edited by Martha in NM
add information

I have one child that struggles with Algebra. I have found that they best way to help him is to actually sit with him and watch him work out the problems. This way I can "see" his thought process and we can correct any misconceptions early. I also have to briefly review with him at the beginning of the lesson, what we learned the day before, so he can see where we are going with the new concept. Using different colored pens too help him visualize different steps ( Iearned this from Jann). We spend about 45 mins or an hour. The Lial's book would work very well, I think.

I should've read the other posts first....sorry, if I'm not much help.

Edited by langfam
Read other posts