Menu

Help with Phonics Curriculum

jeri

One of my dds came to us a year and a half ago speaking no English. She is 9 but reading about a 1st grade level. This year I am using AAS with her and some of the Pathway reading books. I really need a phonics program that she can work on independently since I have a number of other kids to work with too. So what phonics program is low teacher intensive and is workbook based?

Would Plaid Phonics fit the bill? Do you really need the teacher manual?

I really liked the look of McRuffy but the price was high. Also, it looks very teacher intensive.

PP or OPGTTR would be very teacher intensive!

Thanks.

jeri

I don't want to discourage you, but if dd truly needs help with phonics, I think you need to be involved. PP would actually be a good choice because the program is nothing more than the book. If you made a commitment to work with her on a daily basis, I don't think it should take more than 10 min a day. I know it is used even for adults learning English as a second language.

If you want to provide an opportunity for her to practice her knowledge, I think the Explode the Code series would be good for that. That will also require a bit of teacher involvement. I'm not sure which book she would start with, though.

I hope you find a resource that works for you and your dd.

Do you have any older kids that could work with her? If so, I would suggest http://www.3rsplus.com for reading. These books teach the sounds in a systematic way and have the kids USE them in their reading right away. She could move through these as rapidly as she can, or as slow as she needs to.

Then for Spelling, look at Apples and Pears spelling. This could be "taught" by a child reading at a 4th grade level or above as it is all scripted and they would just have to read the directions to her. Doing 1/2 level a day would take about 15 minutes.

You have to be there and hear her read because she isn't going to know if she is pronouncing the words right or not. I use McRuffy and love it. It really is short and sweet. There are games. You don't have to use them, but you could get her to play them with an older sibling instead. Also I picked mine up used for a really good price, so you could keep an eye out for it on the used boards. I use PP with my student that I tutor. It is great for the tutoring situation, but it is dull compared to McRuffy.

We do read, a lot, together. And she does know phonics since we used SWR all of last year. She's just very slow and the vocab holds her back as well. This year we are going to use AAS, Pathway readers, other easy readers I have hanging around, read alouds, FLL and WWE. I know, it's ambitious and I'm working out an every-other-day schedule. But what I really need is, well, busywork, independent work, something that just continues to cement phonics into her brain.

Ottakee, what you mentioned looked good for readers, but I didn't get the actual phonics instruction. I *did* like the look of headsprouts (not egglayers, or whatever it's called, mostly because I think the Aussie/NZ accents will throw her off), and I'd completely forgotten about ETC! I actually used the first couple books of ETC with my first child, 8 years ago. But now that it's on line as well, that might be a big help!

The problem with PP (which I've used with 4 other children) and OPGTTR (which I bought and then sold a couple of years ago) is that they are very tedious and it's hard to keep her motivated as is.

Anyway, I think you have given me a good idea (ETC online) and I may buy the MCP plaid phonics as well. So, thank you for all your ideas!!

Jeri

The I See Sam readers USE the phonics and introduce the new sounds in the beginning of each book. They don't teach all of the rules per say though as those can really confused kids.

I will just say that with my special needs daughter, this method is working well. She can't recite a single phonics rule but using these books she is not reading and decoding easy chapter books so it works.

The phonics rules come in more in the Apples and Pears spelling.

I tutor Chinese first language students in English, (it's my afterschooling job as well as homeschool my two youngest) and I know what you mean about keeping them motivated. There is a built in frustration factor and my students are 9 and 16. For the 16 year old, I had to follow her curricula from her private hs but I needed to go through every sentence with her and give her the definition of at least one word in the sentence. For the 9 year old-I choose books younger than his reading level and we spend three hours a week reading to each other. Then I buy him a shake after we finish a book to celebrate.

I haven't cared for the ETC with my children that are ELL. My girls came home 2 yrs ago from Ethiopia at ages 5 and 6 1/2. While I had always loved the ETC with my other kids, I ended up doing a lot of explaining and rewording because the picture was unclear or they just didn't have the vocabulary to answer some of the questions. I would look into the MCP phonics or Phonics Tutor which is Alpha Phonics on computer. It teaches the sounds, uses dictation and is a really good program for reinforcing phonics. The kids can easily use this independently. Rainbow Resource sells it.

I like Adventures in Phonics by Christian Liberty Press . Very comprehensive and my child is doing it almost independently . I just explain him the spelling&reading rules . A lot of writing but this helps him with spelling. He is working at 2-3 grades ahead , I believe because of AIP.

I also have MCP Phonics and while it looks fun and colorful , it is not a complete phonics curriculum.

AIP can be used without the TM but I do recommend the phonics readers for more reading practice or any other readers would work.

My daughter really enjoyed Read, Write, Type. If she doesn't know what a picture is, she can click on it and it will tell her (my daughter did it at age 4, so she had problems similar to what an ESL student would--sometimes she couldn't figure out that the picture was a shirt and not a top or something like that.)

It's a bit expensive, but you can get it and the follow on program for not much more than just the Read, Write, Type. (We didn't get the second one at the time, but it's supposed to be good, too.) You can download a free demo to see if it will be worth the money:

http://www.talkingfingers.com/

It took my daughter months to figure out that it was educational and not just a game!

Also, she could watch my phonics lessons when she finishes that. They are not much fun, but she could do them independently. She could pause halfway through each movie and take a break for the ones that are over 15 minutes.

Finally, I would recommend that you work through Webster's Speller with her once she completes my phonics lessons. My ESL students have really benefited from it, the 2+ syllable words are arranged by accent pattern. I had not realized how accent dependent English was until I started using Webster's Speller with my daughter and then ESL students. It is quite helpful for allowing a young student who has not heard the word before or an ESL student to learn how to pronounce multi-syllable words, most multi-syllable words in English schwa in the unaccented syllables, learning them in tables with similar accent pattern really makes the light go on.