Menu

Can you substitute a bucket balance for math balance in Rightstart?

Rainbows

Rainbows, what level of RS will you be doing? In the lower levels, you'll use it quite a bit. Some kids really gravitate to it and find it makes the concepts click. For instance, in levels A and B you'll use it to show things that make 10, things that make 15. You can use it again when you do other subjects like chemistry. We've used ours quite a bit to do science demonstrations in our BJU science. My 10 month old LOVES the balance; it's one of his favorite things to do during high chair time for school! So yes, I'd get the balance, absolutely. Of course you don't need it in the upper levels like D. It's predominantly for the lower levels. Oh, and boys especially love the balance. When I worked the booth for RS, boys could never keep their hands off it. :)

And no, a bucket balance won't do for the way RS uses it. You're not merely showing that 8 tokens plus 2 tokens on one side balance out 10 on the other. Instead it's the numbers on the line. So with only 2 weights on one side and 1 weight on the other (at the 10), you can show that 9+1=10, 8+2=10, etc. Or you could put weights and 10 and 5 on one side and move tokens on the other to see what makes 15. They start to see the patterns this way. It's just very hands-on, a method that makes things click for some kids.

Edited by OhElizabeth

No, you can't use a bucket balance, for the reasons OhElizabeth explained. The balance is not used very much, but I got mine from Rainbow Resource for around $13, and it has been very valuable for explaining the concepts it's used for.

Tara