Menu

1 year old gagging herself

My daughter has gone through several phases where she gags herself, and she's at it again. She's often done it enough to throw up. She just turned one, and I'm at a loss of what to do. On the one hand, I don't want her to get a reaction out of me for it. On the other, it drives me nutty, especially when she actually throws up. Any suggestions on how to make her stop it?

My younger ds did that, mostly in the carseat. I don't think he ever actually threw up, but he came way to close for my comfort. I seriously do not do vomit.

As I recall, I would scream something like, "Stop gagging yourself! If you throw up, Mommy is going to be really mad!" Not the most graceful way of dealing with it, but it worked.

My younger son did this, and still does at times. It might be a palate issue, so if you're going to the doctor for something else sometime, you might mention it to them.

We just tried to monitor his food intake more closely and insure that he didn't put too large bites in his mouth, or stuff his mouth too full of food. Do you notice particular types of food causing this? A mouthful of melted cheese will still do it for my son (think cheese enchiladas).

As they get older, you can also talk to them about it and ask questions that might help you better figure out triggers. Mine could never eat two differing textures at mixed together, like a pudding that contained nuts or raisins, or yogurt with large fruit pieces in it, etc.

My third child does this as well! :001_huh: He would gag easily as a baby, but it got especially bad when he was 1 year old. The incidences do seem to go in waves...he just recently got over a bunch....I have heard that they eventually grow out of it...I'm thinking I have at least another year of it! When he is angry or crying he especially is vulnerable to throwing-up! I always get the nearest bucket ready, but then again when he sees the bucket then he actually does throw-up!:glare: Sometimes though, I can calm him down enough and tell him not to throw-up!

I haven't had this issue but a thought came to mind. You may want to brush her teeth afterwards to remove the acid. If it is happening often, the acid can be very bad for her teeth. Baby teeth are already a bit weak, and I can't imagine they would hold up against the acid for long without allowing cavities to start.

I haven't had this issue but a thought came to mind. You may want to brush her teeth afterwards to remove the acid. If it is happening often, the acid can be very bad for her teeth. Baby teeth are already a bit weak, and I can't imagine they would hold up against the acid for long without allowing cavities to start.

Uh-oh.... I would say... No, don't brush the teeth. Rinse the mouth well but the enamel is softened by the acids from the stomach & brushing is very abrasive. Rinsing gets acids out but doesn't harm the surface of the teeth.

Since these are conflicting views... you may want to ask a dentist.

My son had a lot of trouble with gagging on certain foods & when riding in the car. He struggled with car sickness (heave & gagging) for several years. With some kids, it is just to experiment with this NEW THING that they can do.

However, you can be stern & correct the behavior. You really don't have to "let him grow out ot it". That is how some kids develop bad habits. You, as the parent, need to show him the proper or appropriate behavior.... cold shower was good idea... smelly clothes for a little while.... scolding/teaching (not in anger). You can find what gets his attention & help him move onto some other amazing aspect of development and growing up!;)

Uh-oh.... I would say... No, don't brush the teeth. Rinse the mouth well but the enamel is softened by the acids from the stomach & brushing is very abrasive. Rinsing gets acids out but doesn't harm the surface of the teeth.

Since these are conflicting views... you may want to ask a dentist.

My son had a lot of trouble with gagging on certain foods & when riding in the car. He struggled with car sickness (heave & gagging) for several years. With some kids, it is just to experiment with this NEW THING that they can do.

However, you can be stern & correct the behavior. You really don't have to "let him grow out ot it". That is how some kids develop bad habits. You, as the parent, need to show him the proper or appropriate behavior.... cold shower was good idea... smelly clothes for a little while.... scolding/teaching (not in anger). You can find what gets his attention & help him move onto some other amazing aspect of development and growing up!;)

I have never heard a problem with using soft baby toothbrushes and baby toothpaste on 1yos. Are they problematic? I know not everything designed for children is appropriate, but our dentists/health care professionals have always suggested brushing/wiping the teeth.

Wow. And here I was thinking that ours was the only child who did this. Really. Never read about it in any "What to Expect..." type books, never heard my Dr. mention it. I figured it was just a weird thing my dd did. She grew out of it (we discouraged it with mild scoldings, but she rarely actually threw up, so it wasn't a huge deal.)

Just nice to know it is fairly common. (Not nice for you of course--I hope you get some advice that works for you!) :001_smile:

My ds did this--my pediatrician said to ignore it, give it no attention at all, and if it caused him to throw up to quietly and calmly clean him up and go about your business, not a shred of attention to it.

We did this and it stopped pretty abruptly.

Good luck!

I have never heard a problem with using soft baby toothbrushes and baby toothpaste on 1yos. Are they problematic? I know not everything designed for children is appropriate, but our dentists/health care professionals have always suggested brushing/wiping the teeth.

I am not sure. I just have always been told to not brush. Since it is confusing, I added the check with her dentist. You do have to get it off... just not sure how abrasive a soft brush is. It could vary well depend on the texture of the brush.