Menu

Looking Forward To When Homeschooling Isn't Merely An 'Option'

Grrrr.

I had a nurse to the house yesterday am. She was here to assess what could be put in place to help me with managing my disability, what services and devices might be offered to me.

She mentioned that I might be told to put Diva in school, that homeschooling was 'a nice option' but she was concerned that with having RSD, it was simply too much for me. She also pushed hard for me to accept some child care hours, so that I might nap in the afternoon.

I told her that homeschooling wasn't merely an option for us. It is what our family is doing, its also a faith based issue, as well as being for Diva's best education possible. I also refused the child care, as its a matter of faith for us that our children aren't in daily care, or with a sitter. Once in a while, after they're in bed we've had a sitter so we can go out, and SpecialMama is willing to mind our monsters, but frankly, SpecialMama has crossed the line of 'friend' into 'family'.

I really freaking hate it, and frustrates the crap out of me that homeschool is viewed merely as an 'option'. Nobody would tell a public school parent that its a 'nice option' but they had to homeschool or put their kid in private.

On the good side, I apparently am entitled to 3 hrs a week of house cleaning. Looking forward to that at least! :lol:

Sometimes they just have to learn to see it another way. I know my therapist was concerned about our homeschooling (I have an anxiety disorder, with severe panic attacks, and have been seeing him since our oldest was a baby.) His concern was that it would put too much stress on me. I was able to point out all the stress involved in getting kids off to school in the morning (sitting in the car line would have been a MAJOR panic point for me!), and school schedules, and all that. Plus the positive side that, at that time, I was having my worst troubles in the morning and at night ... the only times my kids would see me if they were in PS all the time. Once he thought about it from that perspective, my therapist agreed that homeschooling really was a good option for us. And he's been very supportive, as long as I keep taking care of myself.

So sometimes the medical professionals just have to be told why homeschool is beneficial for your health, to help them understand. :)

Id be thrilled about the housecleaning help :D

Id also be annoyed at the homeschooling comment, even though it was probably meant well. Me personally, Id consider having someone come over in the afternoon and play with the kids.....I have some health issues and can't do some things that I used to do and I think it would be fun for the kids to have someone from the local college come out for play time (kind of like a mother's helper....no day care though because you'd still be there and be in charge)