Menu

Where are the roly polies?

Does anyone have suggestions for finding roly polies?

We usually have plenty of them. Today, because I needed them for science, they've all gone away. Not one roly poly. Not one. And we looked, truly we did. We looked under rocks, bricks, cinder blocks, tires, bags of mulch, logs, sticks, near trees, away from trees, near water, away from water. We looked hard.

If you don't have suggestions for finding roly polies, do you have suggestions for what to do to recover when the science lesson depended on the absent roly polies?

Perhaps it is just been to dry or wet in your area. Can you go for a walk and check near vacant fields, etc....

I have found when it is hot/dry they are hard to locate. When that is the case, I check dense groundcover or ivy covered areas versus looking under rocks.

Happy bug hunting!

We have a gazillion in our backyard. Want me to send you some? :o) Try moistening the ground and putting old leaves under a big rock. They like dead or decaying things.

If no polies come to your project rescue, I'd skip it until I saw some and then, QUICK!, get out that experiment!

We could not find any when we were at that point in science either. We checked out books and looked some up online and skipped the experiment. 2 months later, we went to my cousin's graduation party and here come the kids, covered in mud, large grins, "Look mom, roly polies." So dress your kids up and they will find mud and roly polies. :D

Did anyone else here make it to adulthood without realizing that rolie polies (pillbugs) are actually in the crustacean family? The girls and I were classifying bugs and of course we have 5 million in our yard so that's where we started. And they aren't even real bugs! Anyway, anywhere moist because they use gills to breathe. Can't survive when it's too dry.

Good hunting!

Don't forget the ones in the garden! I cut a head of summer lettuce today that was home to a couple of dozen pillbugs/sowbugs.

Sigh, if anyone knows how to get rid of them in the garden without using poisons, please let me know.

GardenMom

I was just going to say if she can't find any roly polys this year it's because they're all in my garden eating my beans!

I would love to know how to get rid of them too, but I'm guessing I'm just dreaming. They aren't as bad as they were last year when we were experiencing a drought and they migrated to my garden for the moist soil.

Did anyone else here make it to adulthood without realizing that rolie polies (pillbugs) are actually in the crustacean family? The girls and I were classifying bugs and of course we have 5 million in our yard so that's where we started. And they aren't even real bugs! Anyway, anywhere moist because they use gills to breathe. Can't survive when it's too dry.

Good hunting!

I learned that when we were studying science as well. How did we miss that in school?!

It looks like I need to travel to Utah, Virginia or California to find the roly polies. Since that's not happening tomorrow, maybe I'll try the suggestion to dress the kids up and take them out to play. We are going to give it another try, hitting some nearby parks on our way to the science museum tomorrow.

I'm using the book Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method by Sally Kneidel right now. Roly polies looked like a safe bet, easy catch, no slime, easy to feed. Who knew they'd all be on vacation in Utah, Virginia and California?!

I use to teach science to 120 teenagers a day. Now I can't seem to pull together a science lesson for four! What is going on?!