Menu

ANOTHER Kitchenaid mixer Q -- artisian with a funky colour or 600 professional series

So many helpful WTMers answered my last question and most said buy a Kitchenaid mixer with a funky colour. I just realized that those colours only come in the artisian style.

I was seriously considering the 6 quart 600 professional series, but the colours are not as fun (red TOTALLY does not match with my 80s rose coloured counter).

What are the pros and cons of each mixer? If you have one, which style did you choose, and why?

Note: I'm not buying this mixer to make bread...maybe pizza dough, for sure cookies, cakes, icing, etc. I want to make multiple batches.

I have a pro 600. It's white. My Artisan was white, too. I make a lot of breads and wanted more volume in the bowl.

Here's the thing: If you want to mix really stiff doughs, you want one with the tilt head and screw-base bowl. I find it annoying when I'm kneading and the bowl - suspended on the lift arms, with a little clip in the back - starts to rock. Not enough to replace it, mind you, but irritating nonetheless.

Cookie dough, even huge batches, isn't a problem.

However, Whirlpool now owns KitchenAid and their customer service is abysmal. My next mixer will be a Hobart.

Not to be an enabler, but QVC.com sells these in a pretty wide range of colors, so even if you go with a pro model, you could still have pistacchio.

I have the one where the bowl lifts up, but I wish I had gone with the tilt back one. When I put the bowl back down, the beater is still hanging there, and I have to twist it and pull it down back into the dough to get it off, which is aggravating.

Is pizza dough considered really stiff dough? I can see myself making a double batch of it, but probably not bread. Thoughts?

Nah. I mean, it's bread dough with fully developed gluten and all that, but pizza dough recipes are usually smaller than a standard 2 loaf bread recipe, so even if you double it, it's not an extraordinary amount of dough in the bowl. Plus, it's a little softer than a loaf dough, more like pita.

Stiff (in my mind anyway) would be a big, dense whole grain batch, or challah or pannetone (though I think that's just more a sticky issue - a whole other set of issues with the dough hook there).

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Ok (lol), NOT to be pushing it, but what about only one loaf of challah...I *could* see myself making that. Could both mixers handle that?

Btw...to another poster...I appreciate the comment about the bowl-lift being a drag to get the beater out. I had thought of that when I watched a demonstration online.

Huh...interesting how different things annoy different people. My new mixer, the bowl lifts up...doesn't bother me a bit to have to take the beater off when the bowl is full of dough/batter. :p Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these models. Don't forget to check Sam's Club! That's where I got mine!

As in food processors, with stand mixers, bigger IS better. I would go for substance over style, but that's just me. Costco always has a smokin' deal on the big one including a ton of accessories. I have even seen a beautiful satin pewter color at Costco.com that would be okay with the 80's rose-colored countertop :)

I have the tilt-head and have made bread, pizza dough, cookie dough, etc with no issues at all. The only time I've had some concerns was doing pasta dough, so I'd turn the machine off for a bit and let it cool before starting back up.

EX has the lift bowl model and wishes he had the tilt head model. He bakes more than I do and prefers the beater to come out of the bowl.

Not to be an enabler, but QVC.com sells these in a pretty wide range of colors, so even if you go with a pro model, you could still have pistacchio.

I have the one where the bowl lifts up, but I wish I had gone with the tilt back one. When I put the bowl back down, the beater is still hanging there, and I have to twist it and pull it down back into the dough to get it off, which is aggravating.

I am 100% in agreement with this. I find it incredibly irritating to have to dip my beater back in the dough in order to get the bowl off.

Mine is the Professional and I brought my mom's Ultra over here after she passed away. (I think the Ultra must pre-date the Artisan, but it looks the same and has the tilting head.)

I usually double the recipe if I'm making something like banana bread so that I can freeze a loaf, and I use the Professional to make sure all the batter stays in the bowl. If you like to double recipes I'd go with the mixer with the biggest bowl. I keep the smaller mixer so my dc can use grandma's mixer when they bake with "Aunt Betty". ;)

IIRC, my dh got my mixer at Bed, Bath, and Beyond with a coupon savings.