Menu

At what age did you start Explode the code book 1?

Euromom

We started with the Get Ready for the Code books for pre-k and moved to book 1 for K but my ds is a bit older for his "grade" because of December birthday. Right now at 6 1/2 and about to start 1st grade he is working through book 2. I think that with a 5 yo who knows all of his letters and their sounds, I would start with book 1. There isn't that much writing in it.

I have had several use these books. I would start with the primers and advance to book 1. He may just fly through the primers, but it really helps them to pick the sounds out of a word and match things up correctly before they start the basic spelling.

There's less writing in them and more emphasis on the sounds of the letters. The amount of writing in the ETC books goes up through the 1-6 sequence. If you use the books now, you may find you have to stop because his fine motor skills aren't there yet.

I used ETC1 successfully with 1st graders.

My DS will be 4 in November and we are starting with the Explode the Code primers right now. He has known his letters, etc for quite a while, so it was a natural progression to move to these...so to answer the question, he will likely start Book 1 when he is 5, since we will work through all 3 primers during this 'school year' and then will move onto the series itself next year.

You could always give it a shot with Book 1 and if, as you go along, you realize he's not quite ready, just step back and work on the primers for now. I think he would be fine going straight to it though if he knows the letter sounds already ;)

My dd was 5 when I did books 1-3. She would tell me what to write and I would write it in highlighter and she would then trace the answer.

Sometimes I would write out the answers on little strips of paper and my dd would paste the strips on the correct answer.

I started oldest DS (now 9) on Book 1 when he was just-turned-5 (we never did the primer books). He knew letters and sounds at that point, and hated writing. We did Books 1-3 that year and for the most part, I wrote for him as he dictated. It worked great, he ended up loving to read (if he had had to write his answers, I doubt that would be so), and he writes fine now.

If you feel he is ready to read, I would try to separate the "reading" element from the "writing" element where possible.