Menu

lego homeschool kits

mamapjama

Any one use them? I can't believe there aren't too many reviews out there on these kits. I really want to buy one but as they are so expensive, I want to make sure it is worth it and that I get the right kit for my son.

Anyone have experience with these? My son is going in to grade 2 this year BTW.

I'm not sure. I guess in particular I was looking at the simple machines kit. But to be honest that one doesn't look really exciting - though it would fit in perfectly with this years program. There is another kit that is another level up I think called mechanics and mechanisms. And then there is the WeDo first kit. Which does look good but from what I understand I need to buy the kit for 140 Cdn, then the Activity kit for a similar price, and then the $50 software. You likely don't need the activity kit and could buy it later but it is still pricey.

My son is very good at building lego on his own. He received the 3 in 1 motorized ferris wheel, crane, bridge kit for Christmas and did it entirely on his own within a number of hours.

If you have any of the kits I mentioned above, or could recommend one I would really appreciate it. I know Knex has some good kits too and they are cheaper but he loves his lego kits more than the Knex kits.

We participate in Lego League. They use these kits and allow the kids to work together and have a class of sorts as well.

Well, I should say the youngers use these kits.

My older boys are now in the older LL and do the robotics.

Dawn

the LEGO education kits are less about the building than the are about the science. None of the builds are difficult - you just follow the directions and shortly you're done.

We don't have any WeDO kits. We already own LEGO MINDSTORMs robotics. WeDO is a scaled down version of the MINDSTORMS. I haven't priced it so I don't know if it's good for the price or not.

I bought my LEGO ed kits several years ago when many of them were $20-30 cheaper. They are pricey but my boys love LEGOs and science so they are a good fit for our family.

I have the motorized simple machines kit. You definitely want motors. I also have the MOtorized Mechanisms kit. I'm short on time right now but one thing I remember from the Motorized Mechanisms kit is building a fishing pole. You then lift a weight with no pulleys, then 1 pulley (not hooked up), then 1 pulley hooked up properly, then 2 pulleys. The kids get to see first hand how pulleys work and allow you to lift heavy loads. In another, you build a dragster. You alter the gear ratio to see how that affects the distance the dragster will travel.

I'm just looking through one of my books we haven't used yet. You build a rack and pinion car. You then build a front wheel drive car and an all wheel drive car and then a transmission. Ok, we have got to do this one today!

The k'nex kits are similar. I think at the time I bought the K'nex teacher's guide that the K'nex material was written at a slightly higher level. At that time, my oldest found K'nex harder to build b/c of finger strength.

If you're in Texas you can visit the one and only LEGO Education store in the US. Also, go to LEGOEducation.com and see who your LEGO education representative is. Give him or her a call and see how close you are. Maybe you can look at the kits for yourself before you buy. My LEGO Ed rep is very nice and informative.

I see someone posted about JFLL/FLL. Yes, JFLL for the past 2 years has used the Mechanisms kit as the base kit for the challenge. That's how i initially got into LEGO education products!

Well my ds8 LOVES Legos. He plays with legos exclusively. With that said we splurged last christmas and bought him the mindstorms set. It was like 300$. Needless to say it was his only gift. I was NOT impressed. I know he was on the low side for age appropriateness listed but my DH and I couldn't even figure the thing out. It is an entire robotics packet but the problem is you have to use your computer to program everything in then transfer it. We never figured it out and I don't have the time/patience to call Lego CS to talk to them about how to program the thing. So he built this small little one that hardly does anything. It was more geared towards a HS techy if you ask me. Just my experience.

Now in Atlanta they had regular "homeschool" Lego kits we saw but they wanted 300$ for those too, they seemed a little easier to operate but I already wasted 300$ I wasn't going to do it again. They were def geared more towards science. They had some that worked based on a little solar panel, when you turned a light on they started up. It was neat to see but Lego needs to drop their prices based on todays economy, I think.

I've seen them at www.legoeducation.com and have been wondering about them for a year since last we were covering physics w/ ds1 in 4th. I couldn't decide but I think they can go up thru jr. high level in physics and engineering area so I might make a jump sometime. Focus of these sets are more on science and how things work, not so much on building a model, just like Capt_Uhura has posted. I'm personally going to wait until I know some of our dss are ready for advanced physics and engineering concepts, then purchacing a more advanced set.

I'm sorry you had that experience w/ LEGO Mindstorms. Is there a class your DS can take? We found the robotics really fun and have done quite a bit with it. We've done science experiments where you monitor the temperature of snow as the air temp warms up and graphed the data. DS used the kit for his science project. He wanted to know if hot water cooled down at the same rate that cold water heats up to room temperature. It was a great learning experience for him. We've built several of the models that roam around the house autonomously.

Also, did you look at any of the books on the market? There's a fun one called LEGO Mindostorms Zoo where you build animals and program them to have very life-like behaviour and mannerisms. There's another one titled Mayan Adventure which has a story that goes with it - you're excavating a Mayan temple. You use boxes to make the temple wall and have to build and program a robot to navigate the temple.

All that being said, many people buy the robotics kit when the kids are too young. It really needs more adult input.

If you go to http://www.nxtprograms.com/ there are some really kid friendly models to build AND you can simply download the programs. then it's fun to alter the programs so you and DC can learn how the programming language works.

Now, if you decide to sell your NXT brick and motors, let me know. :001_smile:

We bought the homeschool NXT Mindstorm homeschool set for our oldest son's 11th birthday. He loved it and has built a different robot just about every week since. He even bought another NXT off ebay to use as a remote control. He programs it on the school computer and I couldn't tell you how he does it. For him it was well worth the $$ but he is really into robotics. I know others whose kits just sit on the shelf.

We have not participated in Lego League mainly because we live so far from everywhere but he has participated in rcx programs. I have not pushed any type of specific curriculum or such with it because he is so motivated on his own. He also gets into the pneumatics and gears which just makes his mechanical engineer mother pleased as punch.

Just so you know, I got an email yesterday that Lego Education is offering free shipping on their Mindstorms packs.

Captain Uhura,

Just wanted to mention again that YOU ROCK!

I'm looking at the Homeschool Simple Machines Pack for a 7.5 yr old. Maybe we would wait till he turns 8 at the end of the calendar yr. I don't get the idea that this kit is motorized.

So your basic recommend would be to upgrade to the motorized pack?

Homeschool Introduction to Simple and Motorized Mechanisms Pack: http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?CategoryID=160&pl=6&ID=1732&c=0&t=0&l=0

motorized would make some sense for us as long as the basic lessons didn't jump into the electricity component too early. Can you tell if the CD-ROM is Mac compatible too? (and if it's too much trouble to find it I can call them too....)

ugh, this is tough. because then if I"m inclined to shell out that kind of money, maybe the beginning WeDo would make sense for us being techies and all. Can anyone else weigh in on whether the WeDo Robotics Homeschool kit is as organized into a curriculum as the others? or would I have to do a bit of extra work to enhance the activities?

http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?pl=6&ID=1736&c=0&t=0&l=0

Thanks!

ugh, this is tough. because then if I"m inclined to shell out that kind of money, maybe the beginning WeDo would make sense for us being techies and all. Can anyone else weigh in on whether the WeDo Robotics Homeschool kit is as organized into a curriculum as the others? or would I have to do a bit of extra work to enhance the activities?

http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?pl=6&ID=1736&c=0&t=0&l=0

Thanks!

I got the WeDo kit for my son for this year (but he won't know it until about Thanksgiving, so I haven't tried out any of the activities). The kit itself is really pretty small. The software and activities look pretty good. It seems pretty organized from my cursory looks when it arrived. I don't think it'll last anywhere as long as the Mindstorm stuff, but we wanted to start small, see how things go, and then go with Mindstorm at about 4th grade instead of 2nd.

Also, did you look at any of the books on the market? There's a fun one called LEGO Mindostorms Zoo where you build animals and program them to have very life-like behaviour and mannerisms. There's another one titled Mayan Adventure which has a story that goes with it - you're excavating a Mayan temple. You use boxes to make the temple wall and have to build and program a robot to navigate the temple.

All that being said, many people buy the robotics kit when the kids are too young. It really needs more adult input.

:iagree:It's sooo true. Our ds1 was 9 last year when he did his First Lego League and he was quite capable there, so we bought him NXT set. Well, he can build robots just fine but programming and tweaking definitely needs adult help. Even my dh was scratching his head and he's an engineer who has many programming languages under his belt. Having guide books on top of what comes w/ the kit helps too. It seems like there's so much potential in the kit w/ all the available components like different sensors, etc.

Well, this discussion makes want to try a different set to add on:D

Ok, for anyone wanting info on LEGO Mindstorms...your first stop should be http://www.thenxtstep.blogspot.com/ You can't beat this blog for info on everything robotics. There is also a forum for posting your questions and issues.

Check out this link: http://www.marshall.edu/LEGO/Tufts/71ThingsToDoWithDataLogging.html

Here is an archived post about WeDO http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html ....scroll down near the bottom. I don't have the WeDO so I can't comment on it first hand. It seems to me, and commented in the comments to the archived post I linked to above, WeDO is good for 7-9yrs old. WeDO remains tethered to the computer. For my boys, they love to see the robots move about the room. I guess it depends on your personality. Are you OK w/ buying something that you may need to upgrade in a few years? I tend to like to grow into toys rather than buying something with a limited life-span. I think the WeDO market is aimed at classrooms that have limited money and can't afford NXTs. Also the WeDO helps schools to get technology into the hands of younger kids - and I'm sure it's less intimidating to teachers. When I bought my NXT, I got it for $200. NXT now sells for $300 so it's a larger investment should DC not get into it. But you can sell them quite easily though. OH OUCH I see the WeDo is selling for $200 - I had thought it was closer to $100 so the price difference is less. Hmmm tough choice...knowing how versatile the NXT, I hesitate to recommend the WeDO (keeping in mind I've not laid hands on it).

Jill - to answer your question re: motorized kit. Yes, I do recommend the motors. It's so much more fun to have movement in your creations! Have you seen the Teacher's guides that goes w/ the kit? I highly recommend those for explaining the science behind the creations.

Capt_Uhura

Thank you Capt_Uhura for your insight. It has helped me make up my mind to go ahead and purchase the motorized mechanisms kit. Though my son would LOVE and could likely make the Mindstorms things I think the programming part would be more of a "mommy help me do this part" instead of something to challenge and engage him. The motorized mechanisms kit should also give him a good understanding of how simple machine and motor work.

Thank you again!

Mamapjama - the Motorized Mechanisms kit will be a great intro to building w/ LEGO Technic which is what MINDSTORMS is based on, if your DS is not already skilled at using Technic pieces.

Let me know how you like the kit. I think I noticed on LEGO education that it was backordered. Give you LEGO Education rep a call and see what he/she can do for you. :001_smile:

I'm considering these down the road as well. I just wanted to let everyone know that homeschool buyers coop just finished a coop for Lego kits but they are hoping to do another one. I think the group discount was 47% the last time they did one.

HTH

Jesi

• 3 months later...
Guest shankar_roy

Can you suggest between

Non Motorized Simple Machines Set - ID W979630

http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?CategoryID=160&by=9&ID=343&c=1&t=0&l=0

$75/-

and

Simple and Motorized Mechanisms Set - ID W779686

http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?CategoryID=186&by=9&ID=1667&c=1&t=0&l=0'>http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?CategoryID=186&by=9&ID=1667&c=1&t=0&l=0

My son is in 2nd grade and they started the Simple machines now.

Also between

Simple and Motorized Mechanisms Set - ID W779686

http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?CategoryID=186&by=9&ID=1667&c=1&t=0&l=0

plus

Pneumatics Add on Set - ID W979641

http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?CategoryID=186&by=9&ID=1572&c=1&t=0&l=0

$135+$55 = $190/-

VS

Homeschool Introduction to Simple and Motorized Mechanism Pack - ID W991526

http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?CategoryID=186&by=9&ID=1732&c=1&t=0&l=0

Pneumatic Expansion pack - ID W991462

http://www.legoeducation.us/store/detail.aspx?CategoryID=186&by=9&ID=1733&c=1&t=0&l=0

$200+$95=$295

Which will be better?

Does the activity CD worth the extra $105/-?

I've posted a few times on this board about them. If you search on my username, you'll likely find them, I'm not a prolific poster.

Which kit are you thinking of buying? I probably own it lol and can tell you my thoughts on it.

Capt_Uhura

I'd go for the Simple and Motorized kit. Motors will liven things up! Fun to hook to gears and pulleys.

We've worked a bit w/ the pneumatics and it is a fun extension to the kit.

You're asking whether the activity guide is worth the extra money? I can't answer that question for you. It depends on what your science/physics background is.

FOr example: one exercise is to build a fishing pole. Can you talk about why use a reel and rachet? Can you discuss about the use of pulleys and what difference does the extra pulley make? In another activity, you build a trundle wheel. You will get building instructions for it but that's it, without the guide. In the guide it walks you through calibrating the disc, gives activities to do measuring things, and relates it to Leonardo's drawing of the human body. It gives worksheets you photocopy and give to the kids to record their data. Sometimes you change the size of a wheel and then measure the speed/distance a car makes. If you're good at coming up w/ this on your own, then you don't need the guide. I for one, needed the guide to get the most science out of the kit. So it also goes into recording data, making changes, retesting, and drawing conclusions.

hth,

Capt_Uhura

And Lego Mechanics lessons are also available through Homeschool Link, a nationwide organization that supports local homeschool classes (not a co-op)

another place is IMACS which is VERY pricey but worth it if you are clueless about computers and math and want to let dc soar in that area.

My dh does MindStorms with our 7 year old. You either have to have a much older tech saavy kid (maybe 11) or a technical parent to help out.

I might put my son in the LINK class next year as it is very reasonably priced.

HTH