Menu

Any good ocean/beach themed read-alouds

InHisGrip

Here's a new blog based on marine biology that looks really good. Lots of links. Also, I notice they are reading Carry On, Mr Bowditch which is an excellent book that your 6th grader will probably enjoy. Some other books off the top of my head: Treasure Island (we did a pirate unit study one summer at the beach), Moominpappa at Sea by Tove Jansson, We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea by Arthur Ransome, The Voyage of the Frog by Gary Paulsen, Island of the Blue Dolphin by O'Dell. Some of these are more appropriate for your 3rd grader and others for your 6th grader. You could do a unit on lighthouses too. Keep the Lighthouse Burning, Abbey is a short book for your 3rd grader.

Have fun! It sound so idyllic!

When my older boys were grammar age, we read The Lion's Paw by Robb White one summer. It is set in Florida and we were about to start a unit on state history (lived in Florida at the time). It is about a boat trip around the coast involving runaways and an orphan. They still bring up that book every now and then.

It was out of print, but I believe it is back in print now. You can read about it here http://www.thelionspaw.org/

Wow - I've had a chance to look over some of your recommendations and, Faithr, that Lapaz link is awesome. I just wish I had the patience to tweak it a little as it is geared for high school (and I'd need to cut the length of it down quite a bit). But, I will still use the games & other links she provided. I get amazed when I see these detailed plans that moms just come up with for their kids. That is soooo not me.

Also, Susie and Brittney, I love both of the unit studies you suggested.

I still haven't had a chance to look into each book suggested, but have looked at some. The Exploratopia book looks good and the suggestion for Keep the Lights Burning, Abbey is great as I have an Abby (just spelled differently).

Thanks again...