Menu

For chicken - best to boil or bake if I'm making a pot pie and chicken salad?

I always roast chicken parts....it just tastes better and the texture is better.....brush with olive oil and salt....roast at 400....

This is exactly what I do for chicken salad, pot pie, or other casserole-type things. Lovely flavor, and less mess since I never manage to poach chicken without it boiling over and making a really bad mess all over my stovetop.

Astrid

Definitely bake it, and with bones is much better than boneless. I just started buying big packs of chicken breasts with bones and skin, then put tarragon, salt, & pepper on them. Bake at 350 for an hour or so. They get nice and brown, very juicy, smell wonderful. I use a couple, then refrigerate or freeze the rest for another couple of meals. I usually get quite a bit of juice and of course save that too. Oh, I use my big blue roasting pan with the lid off.

I have often baked it first and then cook the bones a second time around for broth. I usually think it's a waste not to get broth out of a chicken and have found this works great.

ITA!!! I have to have my broth to can ans save for a later date.

I throw mine in the crockpot on low for about

8 hours after seasoning it. Works out great!

excellent idea! I have never thought about that. do you set it on a "shelf" in the crockpot or just put it right in?

excellent idea! I have never thought about that. do you set it on a "shelf" in the crockpot or just put it right in?

I just put it right in. Season it up with salt, pepper, sometimes Lawry's and that's all. I like to have shredded chicken frozen in the freezer so I'll do a few of these and stock my freezer.