Menu

My new favorite "homeschool howler" !

Orthodox6

DD and I started back to school today. (She has two more weeks of swim lessons in August, so we went ahead, knowing that there would be those interruptions.)

At one point this morning, DD said something which sent me into laughter so loud and prolonged, that the other children rushed to the dining room, concerned that I was in dire need of help. They said that my face had turned bright red from laughing so hard.

The story:

Every school subject has its own planner pages, with the work broken down into daily assignments for the entire 36 weeks. Each school day, my student(s) receives an assignment list of all the work projected to be completed for that day. The names of recurring textbooks are abbreviated, to reduce the writing required.

DD (10 yrs.) asked what the abbreviation WWE stood for. I replied, "It stands for Writing with Ease."

In certifiable, genuine innocence, DD enquired, "Why would there be an entire book about writing with Es ?"

I don't know when last I have "lost it" so fast, so hard !

That's darling! I would have cracked up too! My howler of today was my 8 yo.

We were driving around in the car doing errands and she was entertaining herself in the backseat. At one point she curled one hand up kind of like a claw and said, "Hey doesn't this look like Cindy?" I looked in the rearview mirror at the hand she was showing to me. Huh? She said, "See, look at my fingers!," pointing with her other hand at the way she'd curled her fingers up. "It looks like Cindy!" I had no clue what she was talking about! She got exasperated at my slowness, and said, "Mommy, it looks like that place in Cindy! You know the Cindy Opera House!" Then it hit me she was referring to the Sidney Opera House in Australia! We live in Virginia! I have no idea she even knew about the Sidney Opera House. And yes, her hand did look kinda like the arches of that Opera house.

That is so funny ! You have a clever daughter ! :)

(Have you watched any television program which featured the Opera House ?)

That's darling! I would have cracked up too! My howler of today was my 8 yo.

We were driving around in the car doing errands and she was entertaining herself in the backseat. At one point she curled one hand up kind of like a claw and said, "Hey doesn't this look like Cindy?" I looked in the rearview mirror at the hand she was showing to me. Huh? She said, "See, look at my fingers!," pointing with her other hand at the way she'd curled her fingers up. "It looks like Cindy!" I had no clue what she was talking about! She got exasperated at my slowness, and said, "Mommy, it looks like that place in Cindy! You know the Cindy Opera House!" Then it hit me she was referring to the Sidney Opera House in Australia! We live in Virginia! I have no idea she even knew about the Sidney Opera House. And yes, her hand did look kinda like the arches of that Opera house.

As long as we are sharing--my favorite was out of the mouth of my 5 yo ds. It may be one of those you had to be there kind of things, but we laughed for days.

My ds has been talking about being a "homeschooler" for years. It is one of those random pieces of information that he shares with everyone he meets. One day we were in the car and he started talking about what he would be when he grows up. He came up with a few of the basics, like firefighter and teacher, then he said "AHHH HAAAA...I know I am going to be a homeworker." It was hilarious to us. My dh and I looked at each other and thought "now that is one good idea." I wish we could all be homeworkers.

I'm so glad that others are sharing their family "funnies" !

As long as we are sharing--my favorite was out of the mouth of my 5 yo ds. It may be one of those you had to be there kind of things, but we laughed for days.

My ds has been talking about being a "homeschooler" for years. It is one of those random pieces of information that he shares with everyone he meets. One day we were in the car and he started talking about what he would be when he grows up. He came up with a few of the basics, like firefighter and teacher, then he said "AHHH HAAAA...I know I am going to be a homeworker." It was hilarious to us. My dh and I looked at each other and thought "now that is one good idea." I wish we could all be homeworkers.

"Why would there be an entire book about writing with Es ?"

I don't know when last I have "lost it" so fast, so hard !

Maybe it's a commentary on our curriculum obsession. She knows how we homeschoolers buy really specific books for every subject. ha, ha, ha, ha

I can see half of us now, navigating away from your post and trying to find the website for "Writing With E's"

:smilielol5:

These are all so good.

We started today too and although it wasn't a rip roaring kind of comment it was funny to us.

I started RSO Chemistry 1 with my older two kids today, one of the questions on their labsheet was

"Name 2 chemicals that are dangerous" The book was going for things like bleach, lighter fluid etc.

They both were thinking pretty hard while my little one colored, so I clarified a bit. Here's the conversation

ME: "Think of 2 things that mommy tells you not to touch"

Older DS: "Cleaners, like from the kitchen"

DD: "Soap from the laundry"

Youngest DS:"MARKERS, you always say no markers for Luka"

We couldn't help but laugh because he so desperately wants markers but they've been banned from his use unless I'm right by him since he had a fun day coloring on our couch with some he found in dd's room. Luckily those were washable crayolas.

I was reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you Hear to DS2, with DD6 in the room. At the end, there's a teacher and a classroom full of kids. DD6 informed me that the kids shouldn't be in school - they should be homeschooled.

When I told DW about that, she said "well, we're indoctrinating her properly" :D