Menu

Virginia Curriculum Description

I am trying to get my curriculum description in for VA. CAn any of you check and tell me if this is enough? Our curriculum for @@ and ** is based on interdisciplinary, love of learning lifestyle. Their course of study will involve a combination of formal instruction, independent study, unit studies, and project-based learning, using textbooks, computer-based correspondence coursework, the public library, multimedia materials, and various community and family resources.

For 11th grade,@@ will be studying British Literature, Writing, Biology, Algebra 2, US Government, Economics, Spanish, and Field Geology.

For 7th grade,** will be studying Literature, Grammar, Writing, Spelling, Vocabulary, Pre-Algebra, Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science, World History, Geography, Spanish, and Physical Education.

Among the textbooks that will be used are Lightning Literature, Rosetta Stone Spanish, Houghton Mifflin, BJU Press, and National Geographic.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I am trying to get my curriculum description in for VA. CAn any of you check and tell me if this is enough? Our curriculum for @@ and ** is based on interdisciplinary, love of learning lifestyle. Their course of study will involve a combination of formal instruction, independent study, unit studies, and project-based learning, using textbooks, computer-based correspondence coursework, the public library, multimedia materials, and various community and family resources.

For 11th grade,@@ will be studying British Literature, Writing, Biology, Algebra 2, US Government, Economics, Spanish, and Field Geology.

For 7th grade,** will be studying Literature, Grammar, Writing, Spelling, Vocabulary, Pre-Algebra, Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science, World History, Geography, Spanish, and Physical Education.

Among the textbooks that will be used are Lightning Literature, Rosetta Stone Spanish, Houghton Mifflin, BJU Press, and National Geographic.

Here is what I have done for the last 17 years:

(one page for each child)

M--- G---- Program of Study for 2009

Language Arts:

I. Grammar- Text, Author, Publisher

II. Spelling- Text, Author, Publisher

III. Handwriting- Text, Author Publisher

IV. Classic children's literature

V. (any other resources)

Scope: Daily reading assignments, grammar, and handwriting practice.

Writing assignments which include.....(you get the picture)

Math:

I. Text, Author, Publisher

Scope: Meeting or exceeding Virginia Standards of learning in ....

(basically the table of contents of any math resources.)

You do NOT need to tell them anything else, not your philosophy or method of schooling or any other subject areas, just Language Arts and Math.

I've never been questioned.

The law doesn't require you to describe the methods by which your dc will be learning; IOW, the school superintendant doesn't need to know that "Their course of study will involve a combination of formal instruction, independent study, unit studies, and project-based learning, using textbooks, computer-based correspondence coursework, the public library, multimedia materials, and various community and family resources." TMI. Never provide information not required by law.

Your curriculum would be something like this:

English: British literature [you could add the authors/titles of works, if you wish]; grammar as necessary; composition [you could list the kinds of writing that your dc will be doing]; vocabulary and spelling.

World history: ancient civilizations [you could specify which ones], geography appropriate to the civilization being studied

Science: [publishers' descriptions of content of texts]

Math: [chapter titles, if they specify concepts taught, or other description of content]

You could check out the SOL for each subject and use some of that language.

If you are going to be under the provision that requires you to test, just send them a digital photo of your diploma/degree, and a list of what you are going to have your kids study.

Honestly, I've never had our super or any dept ever contact me needing more info than the subjects we are studying. I don't send publisher/textbook/curriculum names at all.

Which reminds me--I need to send my own letter of intent! lol

My description doesn't even list grades or levels. I give each child's name, birthday and list what we are using for Language Arts & Math (all you are required to report prior to high school.)

So mine looks something like this:

Yacko: DOB, Math: CLE Language Arts: CLE

Wacko: DOB, Math: CLE Language Arts: CLE

Dot: DOB, Math: CLE Language Arts: CLE

We will also cover history, science, foriegn language, art and music.

I need to do this now and I don't have a detailed list of what they will study. I have come down with periorbital cellulitis and can you tell I HATe the homeschooling laws of this state. It is none of their business. I know the oldest will do British Lit but it will be my design. I just copied an accepted one that someone else had on a site and changed names and subjects. I will include birthdates because I remember they sent it back with that request last year.

Christina,

Seriously you don't need all that.

I would just list their names, birthdate and the subjects you will teach them. For math I tend to add the name of the text I have chosen but that's as far as I go.

I don't list the TOC or anything like that. I've never had them question anything I've sent.

This is what I have sent in for the last 3 years.....without a problem:

Learning is a lifestyle in our home and every moment is an opportunity for learning. In addition to this lifestyle of learning, Jacob will be doing 3rd grade coursework in the following subjects: Math, Language Arts, Geography, Handwriting, History, Science, Spelling, and Spanish. In his studies we will make use of the library, field trips, videos, computer curriculum, and other resources that we deem useful.