Menu

What incorrect stereotypes persist about your area?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw you guys, you are shattering my illusions left, right and centre :rofl:

New Zealand:

Is not part of Australia

You don't get to it by driving over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or via Helicopter from Sydney.

It's also not in Europe

It's not full of sheep

The landscapes may be clean and green, that's all the rain. I don't find the attitudes quite so green.

And a bit of trivia: as far as I can work out, it was the first country to allow women to vote in national as well as local elections.

Australia:

The spiders are not as bad as folks make out, nor are the snakes. I've yet to see a snake.

It's not all hot and dry, in fact right now it's really cold where I live. It's dry where I live too, but up north it rains a lot. In fact Australia is almost as big as continental USA so it's climates are very varied.

Like someone else said; Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin are not representative of your average Australian male. And people don't go around saying "crikey" unless they are quoting Steve Irwin.

I live in Orange County Ca.

A lot of people think its like the t.v. shows Laguna Beach or the Hills.

I've never seen these shows, but I did go to high school in Laguna, if the basic story line shows how awful the girls act, then YES it's all true!! :)

People also think that everyone has plastic surgery, small dogs in their purse, and a rich old husband. Sure there are people like that, but most of Orange County is full of regular folks.

This year I took a little trip to Indiana, when I flew home into John Wayne (our little airport here) the whole terminal was empty, except for this lady who was probably in her 60s. Massive amounts of plastic surgery, the little dog in a crystal encrusted dog carrier, and a g-string hanging out the back end of her jeans.

I have to admit, after the initial shudder, I had to smile. There's no place like home!

Edited by helena

Which exit?

This is the stereotype of New Jersey (Mid-Atlantic region, USA), that it is only an ugly, treeless, pot-holed, industry-riddled road -- The Garden State Parkway -- and everyone lives near some exit. Not true. Why are we called "The Garden State?" We do have farms here, folks! Just off Exit 157 South, turn right at the second chemical refinery....

P.S. The part about the pot-holes in the road is true. :auto:

Which exit?

This is the stereotype of New Jersey (Mid-Atlantic region, USA), that it is only an ugly, treeless, pot-holed, industry-riddled road -- The Garden State Parkway -- and everyone lives near some exit. Not true. Why are we called "The Garden State?" We do have farms here, folks! Just off Exit 157 South, turn right at the second chemical refinery....

P.S. The part about the pot-holes in the road is true. :auto:

And don't forget about it being the state of no left turns :glare:

:D