Menu

"3rd party" school options

By that I mean some other entity that you have to somehow "report" to for the child's school stuff. Off the top of my head I can think of BJU's Academy of Home Education. What other options are there?

I'm sort of considering this for a couple of my kids, to help clue them in that it's NOT "Mom being mean" who comes up with these assignments, so I think at least for a while it might be helpful for some other authority besides ME telling them they have to do it.

Hence why I'm in the info.-gathering stage.:D

Not sure if this is the kind of thing that you are looking for, but I am currently exploring Clonlara for high school. I was kind of thinking along the same lines (ie. it's good that THEY require speech and community service). That's a fringe benefit, though, not the reason I'd use them (NCAA reasons). But, I don't imagine that you would want to spend the $$$ to not be the mean mom. Then again, ya never know. :D

I don't know if your state has these, but California public school districts often offer independent study programs. Some are charters, some are from the offices of education, etc. They vary widely, but often give you money for school supplies and books, or lend you the books the local district uses. They might offer optional weekly classes in various subjects. I think they all have supervising teachers that come and check your progress every few weeks, with varying levels of detail.

• 1 month later...
I don't know if your state has these, but California public school districts often offer independent study programs. Some are charters, some are from the offices of education, etc. They vary widely, but often give you money for school supplies and books, or lend you the books the local district uses. They might offer optional weekly classes in various subjects. I think they all have supervising teachers that come and check your progress every few weeks, with varying levels of detail.

Spefically, the Cal. Ed. Code allows for independent study to be set up by a county, by a school district, or by an individual school--even for a single student who might be out for vacation.l In some cases the ISPs are campus-based and are for children who are at risk; in some cases they are non-campus based and only enroll children who are taught at home by their parents, who are accountable to the ISP for attendance, testing, and more. Students are legally public school students, not private school students (i.e., homeschoolers).

Charter schools have a completely different set-up, with more oversight by the state (charter schools are obligated to follow their charters regarding curriculum, goals, etc.). They may also be campus-based or home-based; they don't have to follow the Ed. Code exactly, but their students are still public school students and subject to some of the compulsory education laws, as well as the requirements of the charter schools themselves.

Both ISPs and charter schools provide textbooks/other materials and other services.