Menu

Share with me your experience changing your lifestyle to more natural products...

I mainly mean the everyday stuff, like shampoo, cosmetics, soaps, cleaning products, etc. I would specifically like to know how you do it affordably. Do you see a big difference in your total grocery budget? I'm pulled more and more to going more natural in everything we use, but on a limited budget, I'm anxious. Also, what brand of products do you like that do a good job? I would love to hear your experience with natural products and a list of your faves would be great. :)

I've been using Method cleaning products and air fresheners (available at Target and other places), but I'm moving toward making my own cleaners. I've been experimenting with placing branches of lavender in spray bottles filled with vinegar and just letting them sit and steep until I need them. The lavender cuts the sharpness of the vinegar and gives it a better smell plus has disinfecting properties in its own right. I am moving toward using essential oils, however.

I've moved toward using Bar Tender's Friend or other non-chlorine cleaners in place of Comet, but am now moving toward using just baking soda to clean toilets, etc.

I've been using a non-chlorine whitener in my laundry, but have not attempted to switch over my detergent yet, as I've only been able to use a single brand of detergent for many years due to skin sensitivities (so I'm a little afraid to change). The whitener I've used for the past year or two is Seventh Generation chlorine free bleach. It's primarily hydrogen peroxide and you really could probably just use this straight (might be cheaper, too).

For shampoos and liquid soaps, etc., you really have to be careful. Many claim to be organic but then still contain Sodium Laureth, etc. Some brands, such as Burt's Bees, Kiss My Face, Avalon Organics, etc. have taken a pledge not to include these dangerous chemicals in any of their products.

I like Burt's Bees shampoos/conditioners, as well as some others. However, much as I like a Nature's Gate conditioner I recently got, I picked up a liquid soap by them and got home to find out that Sodium Laureth is the top ingredient in it, after water, so I won't be buying any product line without checking labels on everything from now on.

My local Wal-mart has been carrying Burt's Bees products, as well as some Tom's of Maine products this past year. I also shop sales at my food coop when I want to try new products.

I used to like a Devita crystal mist spray for deodorant, but my coop stopped carrying it and I had to go with a Thai brand, instead. It has worked fine for me, too. I can't tell you the troubles I had before I switched to this. My body was having severe reactions to other deodorants that resulted in causing horrid smells to pour off of me! Yuck! I didn't even have to be hot and sweaty for it to happen! The spray-on deodorants (all types I tried) just reacted badly with my body chemistry. Now that I use this natural product, I never have a problem with odor, even when I'm out in VERY hot and sweaty circumstances during the summer! It's amazing what a change it's made for me. I have auto-immune problems, so making these changes is becoming essential for me as I get older (as I've been having more and more problems with standard sorts of products).

I've found an Alba Botanica hair gel I like.

I use Tom's of Maine liquid soaps, toothepastes, mouth rinses.

And there are lots of other things I've switched, but I don't have time right now to list them all!

Plastic wrap and waxed paper, all sorts of food products (moving more toward bulk, whole foods), Method window cleaner (now moving toward just using vinegar); just bought a natural dishwashing detergent and product to brighten dishes in the dishwasher on sale last week (I forget the brands and haven't used them enough yet to say if I'll like them); and I just spent yesterday reading labels on other natural products as I try to decide what I'll try next.

Just do one thing at a time, get used to it and add another. It's been a process of about a year for me to switch over to all the things I use and I'm still continuing to switch to simpler and simpler things (but I sure do LOVE the smell of those Method products, LOL, don't know if even essential oils will win me over against those.....)

The easiest changes I made were to start using vinegar for cleaning and using cloth napkins instead of paper. I keep spray bottles full of vinegar and use it on everything. If something is particular stubborn, I sprinkle on some baking soda, squirt with the vinegar, and scrub. It works quite well and is non-toxic. With regard to cloth napkins, I have found it easy to just toss in the wash. We don't miss paper napkins at all.

A lot of the cost is personal choice.

I've read lots of recipes for natural cleaners that call for essential oils. Why? So that the cleaners smell like flowers, or oranges, or some such. Not for me, thank you very much. I don't waste money on teeny bottles of smell unless it's from a fancy-schmancy perfumer like Jean Patou and I get to dab it behind my ears. :D

My natural cleaner of choice is vinegar. Pour it in a spray bottle and off you go!

For cleaning vinyl floors or scrubbing kitchen grease/oil, it's a capful of ammonia in a big dishpan of hot water. Yes, it stinks, but only for a minute, then the scent is gone, and I'm left with a kitchen that doesn't smell of anything at all.

Baking soda doesn't cost much in place of toothpaste. It's an acquired taste, but I don't mind it.

My laundry detergent is washing soda, borax, and salt. Can't get cheaper than that.

My carpet spot cleaner is rubbing alcohol. Again, cheap.

I use cheap shampoo, so I can't comment on cost for natural replacements. I have friends who are happy with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

So I conclude that people who spend more on 'natural' cleaners are doing so because they choose to. It's certainly not necessary.

We tend to try things and they have to be both natural and effective for us to adopt them. We had a terrible time figuring out dish washing detergents. We don't have a lot of time to research so once we find something we like, we tend to stick to it. Even if it turns out not to be the best environmentally or the best price or the most effective. When we learn more and find out something better we switch products.

We do the cloth napkins and the dish towels instead of paper towels.

Its like switching to those low energy lightbulbs. We did it over time as the old lightbulbs burnt out. Even slow change, small change is still change.

I've been using Method cleaning products and air fresheners (available at Target and other places), but I'm moving toward making my own cleaners. I've been experimenting with placing branches of lavender in spray bottles filled with vinegar and just letting them sit and steep until I need them. The lavender cuts the sharpness of the vinegar and gives it a better smell plus has disinfecting properties in its own right. I am moving toward using essential oils, however.

I've moved toward using Bar Tender's Friend or other non-chlorine cleaners in place of Comet, but am now moving toward using just baking soda to clean toilets, etc.

I've been using a non-chlorine whitener in my laundry, but have not attempted to switch over my detergent yet, as I've only been able to use a single brand of detergent for many years due to skin sensitivities (so I'm a little afraid to change). The whitener I've used for the past year or two is Seventh Generation chlorine free bleach. It's primarily hydrogen peroxide and you really could probably just use this straight (might be cheaper, too).

For shampoos and liquid soaps, etc., you really have to be careful. Many claim to be organic but then still contain Sodium Laureth, etc. Some brands, such as Burt's Bees, Kiss My Face, Avalon Organics, etc. have taken a pledge not to include these dangerous chemicals in any of their products.

I like Burt's Bees shampoos/conditioners, as well as some others. However, much as I like a Nature's Gate conditioner I recently got, I picked up a liquid soap by them and got home to find out that Sodium Laureth is the top ingredient in it, after water, so I won't be buying any product line without checking labels on everything from now on.

My local Wal-mart has been carrying Burt's Bees products, as well as some Tom's of Maine products this past year. I also shop sales at my food coop when I want to try new products.

I used to like a Devita crystal mist spray for deodorant, but my coop stopped carrying it and I had to go with a Thai brand, instead. It has worked fine for me, too. I can't tell you the troubles I had before I switched to this. My body was having severe reactions to other deodorants that resulted in causing horrid smells to pour off of me! Yuck! I didn't even have to be hot and sweaty for it to happen! The spray-on deodorants (all types I tried) just reacted badly with my body chemistry. Now that I use this natural product, I never have a problem with odor, even when I'm out in VERY hot and sweaty circumstances during the summer! It's amazing what a change it's made for me. I have auto-immune problems, so making these changes is becoming essential for me as I get older (as I've been having more and more problems with standard sorts of products).

I've found an Alba Botanica hair gel I like.

I use Tom's of Maine liquid soaps, toothepastes, mouth rinses.

And there are lots of other things I've switched, but I don't have time right now to list them all!

Plastic wrap and waxed paper, all sorts of food products (moving more toward bulk, whole foods), Method window cleaner (now moving toward just using vinegar); just bought a natural dishwashing detergent and product to brighten dishes in the dishwasher on sale last week (I forget the brands and haven't used them enough yet to say if I'll like them); and I just spent yesterday reading labels on other natural products as I try to decide what I'll try next.

Just do one thing at a time, get used to it and add another. It's been a process of about a year for me to switch over to all the things I use and I'm still continuing to switch to simpler and simpler things (but I sure do LOVE the smell of those Method products, LOL, don't know if even essential oils will win me over against those.....)

Thank you for this! This is what I was wanting. The only change in product I've made, (and I don't even know if it's a good one because you all might tell me it's not really that good :tongue_smilie:), but I bought a natural laundry detergent at Sam's. The ingredients look normal and I could understand them. :) I've heard that some of the natural products can start making your clothes look dingy. Have you found that? I'll be on the lookout for the ones you mentioned, though. :) Thanks again.

We tend to try things and they have to be both natural and effective for us to adopt them. We had a terrible time figuring out dish washing detergents. We don't have a lot of time to research so once we find something we like, we tend to stick to it. Even if it turns out not to be the best environmentally or the best price or the most effective. When we learn more and find out something better we switch products.

We do the cloth napkins and the dish towels instead of paper towels.

Its like switching to those low energy lightbulbs. We did it over time as the old lightbulbs burnt out. Even slow change, small change is still change.

Do you have any favorites?

I've read lots of recipes for natural cleaners that call for essential oils. Why? So that the cleaners smell like flowers, or oranges, or some such. Not for me, thank you very much. I don't waste money on teeny bottles of smell unless it's from a fancy-schmancy perfumer like Jean Patou and I get to dab it behind my ears. :D

My natural cleaner of choice is vinegar. Pour it in a spray bottle and off you go!

For cleaning vinyl floors or scrubbing kitchen grease/oil, it's a capful of ammonia in a big dishpan of hot water. Yes, it stinks, but only for a minute, then the scent is gone, and I'm left with a kitchen that doesn't smell of anything at all.

Baking soda doesn't cost much in place of toothpaste. It's an acquired taste, but I don't mind it.

My laundry detergent is washing soda, borax, and salt. Can't get cheaper than that.

I use cheap shampoo, so I can't comment on cost for natural replacements. I have friends who are happy with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

So I conclude that people who spend more on 'natural' cleaners are doing so because they choose to. It's certainly not necessary.

Great hints, thanks!

The easiest changes I made were to start using vinegar for cleaning and using cloth napkins instead of paper. I keep spray bottles full of vinegar and use it on everything. If something is particular stubborn, I sprinkle on some baking soda, squirt with the vinegar, and scrub. It works quite well and is non-toxic. With regard to cloth napkins, I have found it easy to just toss in the wash. We don't miss paper napkins at all.

Do you just use vinegar diluted with some water? Do you spray it anywhere you need to clean, like in the bathroom and kitchen?

Baking soda: in place of a nonabrasive cleaner, added to detergent in laundry

Vinegar: added to laundry as fabric softener to get rid of any soap residue (does not make laundry smell like a pickle, I promise:)), soak my husband's white undershirts that stink in hot water with vinegar overnight helps get the smell out

Hydrogen peroxide: carpet spot cleaner on light beige carpet---does a great job on spots where the cats have thrown up. I would test for possible color change first. This was recommended to me by a carpet cleaning company.

I buy according to how much I feel I can afford week by week. I have a relatively cheap brand of general cleaner i use that is made from orange peels. I love the smell and it works well. I have used baking soda and vinegar though and except for tile grouting it works really well. I use bleach for grout but thats all.

As for personal products, I found a cheap brand of organic that I love. I have used coconut oil for my skin. I have used baking soda and lemon juice for my hair.

I just play with it all. I try different brands, keep an eye out for specials and cheaper lines. I read, read, read ingredients.

We have been using the Palmolive Eco dish washer detergent. We haven't liked any other brand we've tried. (available at Walmart I don't know where else). We have also have dish detergent in a dispenser. Not sure the brand -something natural, but we aren't so picky about it. If we are hand washing something we usually can see that it is clean.

We aren't so picky about laundry detergent either. Use 7th generation or whatever is on sale (or have coupons).

We have misc cleaning supplies, but we also use vinegar or elbow grease :)

I buy Method shampoo, body wash, and bubble bath for the kids. I also buy their dishwashing tablets. Other brands of cleaners I use are Mrs. Meyer's and J.R. Watkins. I do the vinegar and water for window and mirror cleaning.

I love Bronner's liquid soap - I use it for body wash. For skin care, I like Terressentials - all organic, food grade ingredients. I use some Burt's Bees cosmetics. For deodorant, I use Weleda sage deodorant spray - it works really well. For sunscreen, we use Green Screen by Kabana.

Sometimes I just have to go with whatever has the fewest chemicals in their ingredient list, like Barbasol shaving cream and Old Spice body wash for dh.

I haven't tried any eco-friendly laundry detergents yet - I'm a little leary. I did use the homemade detergent for a while but it was awful, so I'm back to Tide and Dreft. I'm pondering trying something different though.

Here are some helpful online resources:

http://www.safecosmetics.org/

http://www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org/Pages/Resources.html

http://www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org/Pages/PhthalateFree.html

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1

Educate yourself, compare prices for items, establish your personal budget for "alternative" products, and draw the lines for what you won't compromise on, and for what you will have to just live with because of limited available money.

I offer identical suggestions for selecting food items ("natural" vs. organic vs. agribusiness).

P.S. You'll spend some money and time experimenting to find what you like, and what you believe "works." A neighbor invited me to a Shaklee sales "party" some months ago. To be neighborly, I purchased some cleaning products. I don't regret the experiimenting, because I now can tell her truthfully that my previous products worked better than the Shaklee products and, in many instances, cost less.

Edited by Orthodox6

We've been all natural forever.

Some of my favorites:

Bio-kleen laundry detergent: I use 1/2 of what it states and my 3 boy's clothes come out clean every time. No dingy colors and we've used it for yrs.

I have sensitive skin and I've had zero problems with it.

Biokleen dishwasher detergent: $8 jar lasts me 8-10 months and we do a load every other day.

Method dishwashing liquid: $3 It seems to clean better than the other natural brands and still gentle on the hands.

I love the Green Works bathroom cleaning products, buy at Walmart or Target.

I use Crystal roll on deodorant. It's a little more than the solid, but I like it. :D

Dr Bronners almond liquid soap with a loofah is GREAT in the shower. ;) Your skin will feel like a baby's bottom!

I've spent TENS OF THOUSANDS $$$ over the years on skin care (natural and name brand). After throwing a temper tantrum over wasting so much $ on my face and STILL not being clear and smooth, a few years ago, I found a $10 bar of handmade soap that lasts me 4 months and has given me the clearest skin I've ever had. When I need a little more moisture, I use a few drops of Jason's Vitamin E Beauty Oil ($5) with a little water and I get great skin for $4 a month. :D:D:D

Hair care: Giovanni is my favorite brand, as natural as you can get and still be soft and smell good. I'm not interested in saving a few $ while mixing up my own formulas. Too much on my plate as it is....... ;)

Lotion: good old coconut oil, which we also cook with.

As you can see, I get a LOT of my products from vitacost.com

Their prices make it possible for us to stay healthy and spend about the same as we would at Walmart or Target. It's just a matter of preference.

I get ALL of my supplements from them, as well.

Hope this helps~

Dawanna

Now, if all you guys start buying my favorites, there won't be any left for me, so don't listen to my recommendations! ;)

• 3 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but...

Is that really all you use for laundry detergent? No bar soap in that recipe, just salt?

If so, it seems as if it would cut down on the "dingy" factor.

a