Menu

Why am I so afraid to start IEW?

OK, ladies, I need some encouragement. Over a year ago, I purchased IEW TWSS and SWI-B for my son. I have yet to even thoroughly peruse it. I am so daunted by it. Why?

My son does not like to write and does not do it well. The thought of teaching him the mechanics of writing is overwhelming and stressful to me. He will be starting 6th grade in a few weeks. This seems like the perfect time to dive in. Tell me it's not so bad and please share your successes.

Thank you!

I am right in thinking you have the dvd?

Pour yourself a cuppa, find a quiet time, and watch it.

Then decide if you are overwhelmed. You have made it into more than it is. Speak your fear, bring it into the light, and it will lose power.

You can do it!!!:grouphug::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::party::party::party:

I am starting IEW with my dc this year. I felt overwhelmed with teaching my dc to write until I watched the TWSS. After watching the DVD's I am excited to implement this with them. It has given me confidence to teach something to them that I never felt confident about in the past. We are using US History based writing lessons for my 6th grade ds and SWI-C for my 9th and 11th grade dd. I agree with Chris in VA, pour a cuppa coffee and watch them. It should help you overcome your fear. Good luck!

I felt the same way!! I had the tapes and just couldn't get into committing the time to watchthem. Plus, having 4 boys that constantly interrupt the time needed to absorb it all. But, finally I did!!! I'm so glad. My 2 oldest, 8 and 9, hated writing and I hated making them. Now, they like it, with IEW!! They get to write in stages and it is comfortable for them. Plus, they don't have to think of the topics. That is the part they hated. Now, they do the writing and move on. I bought ALL THings Fun and Fascinating by IEW and iit is a GREAT introduction without being overwhelming. It has 24 manageable lessons and is a great place to start. We are even doing it over the summer and I am so in love with it, I am going to teach it in co-op over the next year!! So, like she said, grab a cup of whatever and invest the time and you'll be glad and so will your child!!! You will become addicited to IEW!! Good luck!!

Thanks all so much for the encouragement. I have made a cuppa but have not gotten the DVD's (yes, I have the DVDs) out yet. At least I made the first step! I need to take a chill pill obviously. :chillpill: :tongue_smilie:

Boymama, when you say you watched the tapes and then started with All Things Fun and Fascinating, did you do this in place of SWI-B? Do I need to do SWI-B? Is it easier/harder than just using All Things Fun and Fascinating or one of its counterparts?

Looking forward to continued replies.

Thanks!

Lisa, you know with SWI-B, you put the DVD on and Andrew teaches the child.

Well, I guess I would've known that if I had actually taken the time to OPEN THEM! When I look at them it is akin to viewing a poisonous snake. It is crazy I know.

I am going to watch at least ONE DVD tonight. I am committed to it and might drag my hubby along for the ride. Thanks for the encouragement. I feel the empowerment coming through the boards.

Thanks all so much for the encouragement. I have made a cuppa but have not gotten the DVD's (yes, I have the DVDs) out yet. At least I made the first step! I need to take a chill pill obviously. :chillpill: :tongue_smilie:

Boymama, when you say you watched the tapes and then started with All Things Fun and Fascinating, did you do this in place of SWI-B? Do I need to do SWI-B? Is it easier/harder than just using All Things Fun and Fascinating or one of its counterparts?

Looking forward to continued replies.

Thanks!

We can then draw support from one another and the kids can too!

I'd recommend having your child just start SWI-B, with you watching alongside. (Make sure you get the free lesson plans from the IEW website or the files section of the IEW-Families Yahoo! group, which is great.) Then when you have time, watch the TWSS DVDs for further understanding.

I procrastinated watching the TWSS DVDs for so long, and I finally just decided to do the above (except we were using SWI-A). It worked beautifully, my kids loved being taught directly by Andrew Pudewa, and we are hooked on IEW.

Just get started. Good luck,

Tiffany

I procrastinated watching the TWSS DVDs for so long, and I finally just decided to do the above (except we were using SWI-A). It worked beautifully, my kids loved being taught directly by Andrew Pudewa, and we are hooked on IEW.

Just get started.

Me, too!! I finally took my MacBook and the DVD's to the library (without kids!) & watched the first three units on the DVD. A couple days later, I popped in the DVD & Andrew taught the kids. They produced a very nice paragraph & ENJOYED it!! The kids actually asked to do Unit 2 a couple of days later.

We're on summer break now, but we're looking forward to picking up again in Sept.

Just start!

As I recall, the SWI-B online lesson plans even tell you which part of TWSS to watch, and when to watch it. So, I would start by watching the Unit I stuff in TWSS before school starts. Then, when you get ready to watch SWI-B with your kids, you can check the TWSS watching schedule and see when Unit II comes up.

Really, if you watch more than one TWSS unit at a time in the beginning you will maintain your feelings of overwhelm. Just bite off one chunk at a time. With those materials used together, and the yahoo IEW group resources (they have tons of files on there to help you), it really is easy-peasy.

I personally did not use any of the SWI things. I watched the TWSS tapes and then did a few exercises from his suggestions in that. Then I found AFF and I loved it!! It starts out slow and teaches the dress ups one at a time and then moves on. I like teaching the stuff myself instead of them sitting and watching the SWI tapes with Jeff. Just my way of doing it. Most use the SWI tapes to get them started. I like the way AFF starts and continues slow with a plan. You can go online and see a sample of the book. You will need to decide whether you want your child to watch and do lessons slong with Jeff on SWI or if you want to strike out on your own and use one of the many IEW books. BUT, do watch the TWSS tapes first!! They are very helpful!!

I have yet to watch the TWSS and we have been using IEW with great success. We used SWI-A and let Andrew teach my son. We watched most of it together so I could learn what was required of my son. Then he just did the assignments and I helped/guided him with proofreading and revising.

We're currently using Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons, which explains exactly what the student is supposed to do. Having been through SWI-A, it is very easy to teach from this.

So if you're daunted by the TWSS, put it on the shelf and ignore it until you decide you want to watch it.