Menu

I think I have changed my mind

about homeschooling ds.

I'm pretty sure ds will be going back to public school this fall for the start of 7th grade. DH has never been a fan of homeschooling and I am having difficulty in keeping up with work, housework, errands, bills, shopping, and ds's schooling. There are other reasons but I am too perturbed at the moment to type them all out.

Now I am wondering what to do with all of this stuff I have spent so much time researching and buying. I guess I should start by looking at the receipts and finding out which items are returnable and which are not.

The public schools are closed for the summer but I will try contacting the main office on Monday to find out about registration. Hopefully, ds can join the 7th grade class and return to his place in the advanced classes.

No matter what you decide, I would wait to post the stuff for sale. Wait until ds has been in school about 2 months if you can. What made you pull him out in the first place? There have been times that I thought I needed to send ds10 back to ps, but then I remember why I pulled him out to begin with.

I also had a hard time juggling it all...I bought Managers of their Homes and deided to implement a schedule to keep myself more accountable and to see where the hours in my days are going. It has helped tremendously.

*hugs* and best of luck with your decisions to come.

No matter what you decide, I would wait to post the stuff for sale. Wait until ds has been in school about 2 months if you can. What made you pull him out in the first place?

DS is gifted and has been bored with school for many years. Our district does not believe in advancement so DS is stuck with the same kids in the same classes year after year. He has been on the wrong end (if there is a wrong end) of bullying for many years. He is teased for his vocabulary, carrying a book everywhere, finishing work early, being the teacher's assistant, etc.

He also has Tourette Syndrome He did have an IEP and a 504 to help address the academic issues associated with TS but they didn't help with the teasing, namecalling and misunderstanding permeating the junior high. When DS was suspended for defending himself (the instigator was not even spoken to by the disciplinary committee) I had enough and pulled DS out of ps.What was ironic about last year is the school district was running a year long program about beating the odds and understanding differences.

have you explored other options for him.....like having a tutor teach a few classes, or taking him to a couple classes somewhere (my neighbor takes her kids to Kumon for math)? Then he'd still be home, but you'd have more time to get things done other than teaching

DS is gifted and has been bored with school for many years. Our district does not believe in advancement so DS is stuck with the same kids in the same classes year after year. He has been on the wrong end (if there is a wrong end) of bullying for many years. He is teased for his vocabulary, carrying a book everywhere, finishing work early, being the teacher's assistant, etc.

He also has Tourette Syndrome He did have an IEP and a 504 to help address the academic issues associated with TS but they didn't help with the teasing, namecalling and misunderstanding permeating the junior high. When DS was suspended for defending himself (the instigator was not even spoken to by the disciplinary committee) I had enough and pulled DS out of ps.What was ironic about last year is the school district was running a year long program about beating the odds and understanding differences.

IN that case, I can't imagine sending him back to that! :glare: Or did you find a different program?:001_huh:

IN that case, I can't imagine sending him back to that! :glare: Or did you find a different program?:001_huh:

:iagree: Have you looked at programs like the Art of Problem Solving (they have online math courses), EPGY http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/ (there is a thread on the accelerated board about enrolling as a homeschool group for a cheaper price), CTY http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses.html

There are other online schools as well, but those are specifically geared toward gifted youth.

I agree too. I'm wondering what your DH thinks is the problem with homeschooling. Does he not realize what your son goes through at school? I'd sit down with DH and tell him flat out that if he's not supportive of homeschooling he needs to participate in solutions for the problems you know are in the public school. I can guarantee they having gone away.

Edited to add... often the overwhelming feelings of trying to keep the home and get the schooling done are exacerbated by an unsupportive DH. If he isn't supportive of the time you need to school, you'll feel extra pressure when some other task isn't done sufficiently. I think I'd concentrate on working with DH to either support the homeschooling decision or be active in making sure your son isn't miserable in school.

(((((HUGS)))))

Heather

Edited by Heather in VA

:iagree:

Me neither. I have some the same reasons for pulling my ds out of school (wrong end of teasing, way too adult conversations among 9yos, etc.). I can't imagine making him face that alone again. Of course, none of us know all the details of your decision. And we really are not passing judgment on your decision one way or another. But usually when we post tough choices here on the boards it's because we want a sounding board, and I think everyone is honestly trying to come at it from different directions. Maybe try sending him to ps in the fall, but you might find yourself feeling sad and guilty about putting him back in that environment. If you do, just pull him out of there again.

:grouphug: