Menu

Healthy mac n cheese recipe that tastes good?

It doesn't have to be super healthy; I want something better than Kraft-in-a-box, and Velveeta in a sauce.

I am happy to make homemade, but I'm also happy to buy Annie's if it's really that much better than Kraft (not that we have a large selection of Annie's here). I don't want it super-healthy, no added veggies, etc.

I want something that my 10yods will really like, and that I will be happy for him to eat.

Would you share any recipes that you've tried and think we might like?

from the back of the Muller's box and make a few changes.

http://www.online-cookbook.com/goto/cook/rpage/00156D

Our changes:

We use Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta (6 g fiber, 6 g protein)

We use 2% sharp cheddar or sometimes mix in swiss.

We use lowfat milk and halve the butter with olive oil.

My son prefers this over box and it really doesn't take that much longer. We skip the baking part and it tastes fine.

hth

K

The poor thing happens to be a vegetable -- :D -- but a little onion sauteed in olive oil adds wonderful flavor to homemade mac-&-cheese.

We use wholewheat elbow macaroni. When the pasta is ready, I drain it (but do not rinse it, because I want the heat available). Over lowest heat, add to the pasta grated Monterrey Jack cheese, the onion, and just enough (very little) milk to help the cheese melt and coat the pasta evenly. (No butter needed. Not with all the fat in the cheese !) (Fat-free cheese does not work at all. -- Some amount of fat is needed.)

The key to good macaroni-&-cheese is pretty much the same as the key to all cooking: No dish is better than the quality of the ingredients used to make it.

We tried Annie's once, years ago. The dead bugs in the package frightened me away from ever buying it again. A couple of years ago, for unknown (to me) reason, Whole Foods presented me with a 10-pack of Annie's boxed mac-&-cheese. No bugs this time, but we just couldn't get excited over dehydrated cheese powder.

P.S. I forgot to mention "Millionaire's Macaroni and Cheese" : Use freshly-grated Parrano cheese instead of the Monterrey Jack. I did that once for the family -- and they decided it is their preferred version. (Get a job kids, get a job, and pay for that Parrano !)

Edited by Orthodox6

The mac and cheese my mom taught me to make involves making a white sauce and adding cheddar cheese to it, pouring it over cooked noodles, adding hotdog/sausage bits (I use Lil' Smokies cut into thirds), and then baking it in the oven for 40 minutes. It takes a little longer than Kraft, but I think it's worth it =) I don't have time right now, but I can post the recipe tonight if you're interested.

Thanks, ladies, you rock! These were great suggestions; I am planning to go with the Miller's recipe since it looks easy to make and I can easily substitute healthier pasta, fat free milk, etc.

Some of the other recipes definitely appealed to my taste (ooh, Barefoot Contessa's come to mind!), and I'll be looking at those again later.

Thank you again!

We love this mac and cheese, but it is not lowfat!:D

Make a white sauce and add shredded colby and smoked swiss cheese. Saute an onion and garlic and add to the cheese sauce. Mix with the macaroni then add some italian style bread crumbs and half a pack of cream cheese. Yummy!!

I agree about sauteed onion (cook it WELL -- raw doesn't taste good). But here's a great tip I got from Martha Stewart: Use boiled (or baked or roasted, I guess) sweet potatoes. I am not into sneaking things into the diet, but I like this. It increases the healthiness of the dish and you can't taste it, except that it becomes a bit sweeter. If you mash them really well and then mix into the sauce (even better if you blend it all together), it's really good, honest! I make a bechamel sauce and then add cheese. I substitute some of the pasta water (maybe 1/2 - 1 c) for some of the milk when I make the sauce. Obviously using low fat milk helps too. And use the strongest tasting cheese you can find that you like -- that way you get the most "oomph" for your calories. Extra sharp cheddar, for example.

My kids have always loved it and ask for it often. Cook 2 and 1/2 cups elbow macaroni and put in a casserole dish. Add some chopped up ham. In a blender put 1 can cream of celery soup, 1 can's worth of milk and about 1/4 of a small onion. Blend this up. Add 8 oz of cubed cheddar cheese to the blender mixture and blend until smooth. Pour over the mac and ham in the casserole. Bake with lid on in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. If you like a dryer top, sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake with the like off.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...