Menu

How long should an upright freezer last?

We bought ours in 1993 and it's starting to show signs of not being able to keep the temp down in the safe range (not sure what problem it's having). Do they get to the point where you just simply need to adjust the thermostat to keep the same temp? Should we go ahead and replace, or continue to monitor?

I just had the repair man here yesterday. I expressed frustration that our dehumidifier needed new parts after just 2 years. He was telling me all the ways companies have altered parts and materials in the past 10 years so that many appliances actually only have an expected life span of 8 years!! He said many big companies, who intially did not follow these practices, had to follow suit just to keep prices down.

He particularly mentioned freezers, and said that he would do anything to repair and old one rather than buy a new one. I can kind of see what he means. My brother is using my grandmother's old freezer which is at least 25 years old. Our 4yo freezer has had to be repaired every year we have had it!

HTH,

Leanna

My mother's and grandma's freezer have lasted over 40 years each. BOth of mine have lasted over 15 years without a problem.

Most reputable repairshops can tell you over the phone some ideas for repair. They know what kinds of things could be causing that problem, and if particular brands are prone to particular problems. Based on such, they can sometimes give you a rough estimate over the phone.

Have you done simple cleaning things like making sure there is no dirt or dust on coils?

My upright is a hand-me-down from my mother and it is at least 30 years old. All of my appliances that are more than 10 years old are still going strong but anything newer than ten years old pretty much has to be replaced when it breaks because it is cheaper than fixing it. It is a shame because it is such a waste for so many reasons.

I know an upright isn't suppose to last as long as a deep freezer. I too am like most the other posters. My deep freezer is over 25 years old. Now my 90s upright is a hand me down. It's still going strong.

It could have a small freon leak in it. Which would be the cause of it losing its freezing capibilities. With freon leaks most of the time its just worth getting a new one instead of having them fix the leak. It's up to you to decide if its worth a service call to find out it is condemned.

I know an upright isn't suppose to last as long as a deep freezer. I too am like most the other posters. My deep freezer is over 25 years old. Now my 90s upright is a hand me down. It's still going strong.

It could have a small freon leak in it. Which would be the cause of it losing its freezing capibilities. With freon leaks most of the time its just worth getting a new one instead of having them fix the leak. It's up to you to decide if its worth a service call to find out it is condemned.

Uh...I'm starting to lose brain functioning capibilities this evening....:D

That would be a refrigerant leak.

My mother's and grandma's freezer have lasted over 40 years each. BOth of mine have lasted over 15 years without a problem.

Most reputable repairshops can tell you over the phone some ideas for repair. They know what kinds of things could be causing that problem, and if particular brands are prone to particular problems. Based on such, they can sometimes give you a rough estimate over the phone.

Have you done simple cleaning things like making sure there is no dirt or dust on coils?

We have a deep freezer my MIL gave us -- Montgomery Ward 1978 model. Every 5 years, we defrost the beast, dump water out of it, clean the back for dust, etc. Works great!!!