Menu

wax for braces

My 13yo just got braces, and they are of course sore. He brought some was home from the orthodontist to cover the ones that are irritating, but I'm having trouble getting it to stick on. There isn't much in the way of instructions on the packet, but it says that the braces and wax should be dry when you put it on. The braces are in his mouth! Hello, there's saliva there. How on earth do I dry the braces to get the wax to stick without going out and buying one of those suction thingies that the dentist uses? I had braces when I was a kid, but it was a long time ago. I don't remember having problems with the wax, but then again, I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday either. Anyone have recent experience with orthodontics?

Can you have him dry the braces with a towel? I don't remember how my dd did this but I can ask her in the morning. Is your orth in central London? We *loved* our orth there, Stephen Hopson. His office was off Regent's Park - though that was about 7 years ago.

I'm sorry your ds is having trouble.

Oh my goodness! Which son was it? Max the 13yo or Zack the 11yo? Was the quilt bright red and blue or more muted blue?

And what are you still doing awake?!

Sorry. I just re-read your post. It was 11yo ago, so it would have been the one for Zack. I love it!

I hadn't realized that you had moved to GA. When did that happen?

Edited by MeganP

the wax from around edam or gouda cheese. Just break off a chunk, mould it into an appropriate size under hot water and push onto the braces. It sticks quite well, is readily available from the local deli/supermarket, and wet mouth doesn't matter at all.

Pam.