Menu

How do you go about choosing literature for the year?

seewah

I am struggling right now trying to figure out what literature are must-reads for my 5th grader and 2nd grader. My 5th grader will be going through SOTW Vol. 2 (for the second time) along with my 2nd grader (who is doing it for the first time). I want my 5th grader to have literature selections that match up with history ... but also want to just have some good literature for him to read throughout the year.

I have gobs of lists saved here and there and in my favorites folder online and I feeling like I am drowning! There are SO many books to choose from ... how do you narrow it down?

I need to finalize a list of read alouds as well as literature that the boys can read independently.

I won't require much of my 2nd grader as far as reporting back to me on a book (other than a little oral narration for each book and maybe once a month I will require a written narration from him) ... but what should I be expecting from my 5th grader?

Thanks! :)

Last year I went to the Sonlight website, found the core with the level of history that my dd was in and got a list of all their readers for that year. We ordered all the books and have been reading them this year. There are a lot of them, and we are still working on getting them read this summer. It has been a joy! Doing this worked out for us beautifully even though we are not using SL curriculum.

Not everyone here on the board seems to like SL book choices for some reason, but we have enjoyed them emensly and my dd has learned a LOT of history from the living books we've read.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I use the list in The Well-Trained Mind. The Activity Guide for Story of the World also gives literature suggestions. Right now I'm working on a Modern Age lit program for my 4th grader. Some works are original text, some are adaptations of classics. I like Amazon reviews for various versions available. :)

I get ideas from Sonlight and Ambleside Online's reading list, plus I have a list of must-reads from my own childhood. I also do quite a bit of browsing at the bookstore as well. I don't plan out as far as year, though, I just have ideas of what I want to read and pick from book to book.

But I think, if I'm understanding the OP correctly, she was wondering how to narrow it down? I'm wondering the same thing-what criteria do you use, how do you choose out of ALL the great book lists?

Yes, it is the narrowing part that I am having trouble with. :)

The various reading lists last year just paralyzed me. This year I'm following the suggestions in LCC. For your year, he lists Fav. Med. Tales, Tales from Mabinigion, for the first term. For the second and third: King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and for the fourth: The Adventures of Robin Hood. He provides suggestions for various versions of these tales.

This doesn't include the hourly independent reading. But, it helps me not to feel so overwhelmed.

Laura