Menu

What kind of paper for art?

plain jane

I'm not sure what kind of paper to get the dc for art. The each have a spiral bound sketch pad for when they draw using Mark Kistler's online lessons. I'd like to keep these books for those lessons only. The only other things I have are watercolor paper and construction paper.

I was at Michael's today and saw that they sell drawing paper. Is this necessary? It' appears to be thicker than Xerox paper, but the price is quite hefty too. What do you use when the dc are drawing/coloring/painting nice pictures for art?

We use different papers for different applications. We have newsprint paper for everyday use, drawing paper for nicer drawings and for specific art projects I have: charcoal paper, watercolour paper, sketch pads, eraser paper, black paper(for pastels), fingerpaint paper, coloured construction paper, cardstock, hmmm I think that is it. I like to buy the bristol pads at Micheals when they are on sale and stock up. I also sometimes cut the pages to make them last longer depending on the project.

We use cheap Xerox paper for playing around and practicing too. I also have accumulated some nice pads of sturdy paper by using 40 or 50% off coupons from Michael's. As a matter of fact, I need to clip this week's coupon, and pick up some more good paper!

Hello WTM friends,

I hope I can help you here. Along with homeschooling my 10 yo dd, I am an art teacher at a Classical Christian school and to private students. I am also an artist that works on paper primarily. (I have a BFA in Art with concentration in painting). I love to teach art and help parents, and couldn't help but open and read this thread.

For sketching and general fun drawing, students should use regular copy paper or plain ol' newsprint. This works fine for pencil, colored pencil, markers, etc. but not mediums that require the use of water as they are too thin and do not absorb. I like to keep a big roll of newsprint on hand to roll out on the floor or table to let the kids fill up with fun drawings.

For serious drawing projects, please consider using Bristol (a heavier , higher grade paper with a slick surface) or a regular drawing pad such as the type you find at Michael's by Strathmore. These papers are designed to take more "work" as many of them also have rag (cotton) as an ingredient. I know it is a bit more spendy, but children will more often have better success and feel encouraged about making art if they have the right tools. If you can't afford this paper for all projects, buy some and mix it in with the less expensive stuff. Also, be sure to use a white plastic eraser instead of a pink eraser to avoid ugly pink smudges and tears.

The only thing we use card stock for in traditional fine art is for cutting out shapes to make collage or to make folded greeting cards. It is an excellent alternative to construction paper because it is smoother looking and does not fray at the edge. It can also hold marker and pencil though, so it would be a good alternative to Bristol and the other drawing papers if your kids like it and you are pinching pennies.

For water color paints and/or water color pencils, you should always use watercolor paper that is designed and made to hold water. WC paper comes in various grades, so don't assume all are as good as the other. For very young students I use the thinner watercolor paper (80-90 lb weight). For older students I introduce them to the better WC papers, such as Strathmore. When they get to be middle and high school students they should have at least a few projects on better WC paper such as d'Arches 140 lb. that can be found at the local art supply store and at some crafts stores like Michael's that carry a few better supplies.

If you have an Aaron's frame and art supply store near you, they are an exccellent source for these products and they sell great paint brushes at very reasonable prices. Michael's would be my next choice. Many craft stores sell art supplies, but not are all the best quality.

With proper care of supplies and cutting smaller pieces like one poster commented on, you can make your supplies last longer and go further, so protect your investments. Teach children to care for their brushes and also not to be messy or wasteful with paint and paper. If at all possible, don't scrimp on art supplies for your children. You don't have to spend a fortune, you can buy things on sale and stock up. Remember, art is a very important subject in a well-rounded classical education.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions or need ideas. I'd love to be of support.

Blessings,

Lucinda

smiley-chores043.gif

Hello WTM friends,

I hope I can help you here. Along with homeschooling my 10 yo dd, I am an art teacher at a Classical Christian school and to private students. I am also an artist that works on paper primarily. (I have a BFA in Art with concentration in painting). I love to teach art and help parents, and couldn't help but open and read this thread.

For sketching and general fun drawing, students should use regular copy paper or plain ol' newsprint. This works fine for pencil, colored pencil, markers, etc. but not mediums that require the use of water as they are too thin and do not absorb. I like to keep a big roll of newsprint on hand to roll out on the floor or table to let the kids fill up with fun drawings.

For serious drawing projects, please consider using Bristol (a heavier , higher grade paper with a slick surface) or a regular drawing pad such as the type you find at Michael's by Strathmore. These papers are designed to take more "work" as many of them also have rag (cotton) as an ingredient. I know it is a bit more spendy, but children will more often have better success and feel encouraged about making art if they have the right tools. If you can't afford this paper for all projects, buy some and mix it in with the less expensive stuff. Also, be sure to use a white plastic eraser instead of a pink eraser to avoid ugly pink smudges and tears.

The only thing we use card stock for in traditional fine art is for cutting out shapes to make collage or to make folded greeting cards. It is an excellent alternative to construction paper because it is smoother looking and does not fray at the edge. It can also hold marker and pencil though, so it would be a good alternative to Bristol and the other drawing papers if your kids like it and you are pinching pennies.

For water color paints and/or water color pencils, you should always use watercolor paper that is designed and made to hold water. WC paper comes in various grades, so don't assume all are as good as the other. For very young students I use the thinner watercolor paper (80-90 lb weight). For older students I introduce them to the better WC papers, such as Strathmore. When they get to be middle and high school students they should have at least a few projects on better WC paper such as d'Arches 140 lb. that can be found at the local art supply store and at some crafts stores like Michael's that carry a few better supplies.

If you have an Aaron's frame and art supply store near you, they are an exccellent source for these products and they sell great paint brushes at very reasonable prices. Michael's would be my next choice. Many craft stores sell art supplies, but not are all the best quality.

With proper care of supplies and cutting smaller pieces like one poster commented on, you can make your supplies last longer and go further, so protect your investments. Teach children to care for their brushes and also not to be messy or wasteful with paint and paper. If at all possible, don't scrimp on art supplies for your children. You don't have to spend a fortune, you can buy things on sale and stock up. Remember, art is a very important subject in a well-rounded classical education.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions or need ideas. I'd love to be of support.

Blessings,

Lucinda

smiley-chores043.gif

Thank you so much for the wonderful information! My ds13 will be doing Geography Through Art this year and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, lol. I will probably have more questions for you as I move forward.

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Thank you so much for the wonderful information! My ds13 will be doing Geography Through Art this year and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, lol. I will probably have more questions for you as I move forward.

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

No problem, Jennifer. Just PM me when you have a question.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Colored pencils (ones that are not clearly categorized on the package as watercolor colored pencils) work well on the drawing papers I've mentioned. Be aware that some very inexpensive brands of colored pencils have a lot of wax in them and do not produce the best color. The same goes for crayons too BTW...some have more wax than color pigment, so if you want bright colors, stay away from the really cheap brands and sets.

If you are using watercolor colored pencils you can use them both with and without water. For this type of pencil, use WC paper whenever water and brushes are combined. Again, this helps support the water and keeps the paper from buckling up.

I have used Crayon Brand art products for small children for many years and think they are the best bargain for crayons, colored pencils, watercolor colored pencils and also color markers. (No, they did not pay me to say this...) On the other hand, I do not like their papers.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Guest dannz89

Hello.

I need to draw some crayon pictures for a presentation. I bought some crayons for £4.95 (approx. $8) and started drawing away happily on copy / printer paper.

Sadly, apart from my bad drawing, the results are disappointing. I can't colour things in with solid bold colours. As soon as I get any area beyond a trace of the colour I want, trying to colour it more just makes the crayon just start to crumble off the paper and the colour gets no more solid, bold or bright.

Is this because I'm using the wrong paper or have I been ripped off buying bad crayons?

I've painstakingly drawn my pictures and as things stand am probably going to scan them in and digitally enhance them - something I wanted to avoid as it'll be a lot of fiddling about on the computer and not have the 'authentic kid's drawing look' - not to mention crayon smell! I could easily reproduce the drawings since I did a fair few practice runs beforehand but I don't really want to waste money on more paper if I really have to buy more expensive crayons AND more paper. It's just a presentation after all...

Any help appreciated!

Hello.

I need to draw some crayon pictures for a presentation. I bought some crayons for £4.95 (approx. $8) and started drawing away happily on copy / printer paper.

Sadly, apart from my bad drawing, the results are disappointing. I can't colour things in with solid bold colours. As soon as I get any area beyond a trace of the colour I want, trying to colour it more just makes the crayon just start to crumble off the paper and the colour gets no more solid, bold or bright.

Is this because I'm using the wrong paper or have I been ripped off buying bad crayons?

I've painstakingly drawn my pictures and as things stand am probably going to scan them in and digitally enhance them - something I wanted to avoid as it'll be a lot of fiddling about on the computer and not have the 'authentic kid's drawing look' - not to mention crayon smell! I could easily reproduce the drawings since I did a fair few practice runs beforehand but I don't really want to waste money on more paper if I really have to buy more expensive crayons AND more paper. It's just a presentation after all...

Any help appreciated!

If I understand you correctly, I would say that the crayons are the problem. Whenever there is a big buildup on the surface of the paper that crumbles off, it is an indication that there is cheap wax in them. But it could also be a combination of both the paper and the crayons. The paper may be too slick to hold the crayon marks and that may be what is happening.

Do you have any other paper available? Even a small sheet would suffice so you could do a test. See how the crayon looks on a "toothier" paper if possible. If so, then you may need to buy a small bit of drawing paper or newsprint. (BTW, newsprint is very inexpensive). If the result is the same on your test paper, you may need to get another brand of crayons.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Guest dannz89

I'm not a well-trained mind! Of course!

I think I was so focussed on doing the 'hard part' of the presentation that I didn't think to try different pieces of paper. I have loads of old newspapers and some post-it notes and no doubt many other bits of paper about the house I can experiment with.

Thanks. :-)