Menu

No college, no mommy diploma...

My brother has this Friend (both in their very early twenties, and just online/webcam friendship). She was homeschooled in Texas all the way through twelfth grade.

Friend had not been enrolled in an umbrella school. Her mother did not give her a transcript or a diploma and she has no portfolio. Friend was expected to live at home, help with the family, and get married.

When Friend was eighteen and done with twelfth grade, she left home because she was not interested in being a very conservative Christian anymore. No big fight, no vicious rebellion, and they stay in touch in a wobbly, wary kind of way... Friend just wasn't willing to go forth with their Christian family plan, so she left to make her way into the world. She's not on drugs or doing anything wacky. (And my brother met her after she'd already left.)

Now she's miles away in Washington state, trying to support herself and create some kind of future. She has been checking off the "no high school diploma or GED" box on employment applications and is now working at Safeway and in a good apartment and has a stable network of friends. She's thinking of getting a GED to help her get a job to help pay for college.

Does she have any other options? Can she check off the high school diploma box if her mom was satisfied that she completed grade twelve? Here in NY we grown homeschoolers have no problem saying we have a high school diploma or equivalent so long as we have done five Regents tests and/or have gotten a letter from the Superintendent. That's what our regulations say, more or less. I don't know what the laws are in Texas.

I hate to see Friend so stuck.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Did she actually complete what one would consider to be a high school program, or was it focused more on life skills etcetera? If she's completed high school, she can say she's a high school graduate. She could quite probably write her own transcript indicating which courses she's taken, if needed.

Also see http://www.thsc.org/FAQ/default.asp#gradrequirements

Did she actually complete what one would consider to be a high school program, or was it focused more on life skills etcetera?

I didn't ask about curriculum, but I gathered it was quite school-at-homeish, so I assumed something like BJU.

If she's completed high school, she can say she's a high school graduate. She could quite probably write her own transcript indicating which courses she's taken, if needed.

Also see http://www.thsc.org/FAQ/default.asp#gradrequirements

Thank you! I will happily pass this on to her.

Since in Texas homeschool=private school I am sure she could check high school graduate. And probably make up her own transcript if she wanted to go to college. But if she is living in WA state she could go the Community College route - you don't need a transcript or a diploma, just pass the COMPASS (or equivalent) test and away you go. As far as job applications, etc, she should definitely say - High school graduate

I might suggest, for her self-esteem, that she get her GED. I know that sounds strange, but it seems like she has wanted to distance herself from her past. Getting the GED may give her a sense of independence, starting fresh, doing something on her own, kwim? Also, if she approaches or enrolls somewhere in order to take it, there may be someone that gives career counseling, helping her see what options she has and helping her with any financial aid.

Texas has no hs regulation. She may say she is a high school graduate, and her diploma would be considered, by the state, equivalent to a private school diploma.

If it would make her feel better, she can ask her mom to print up a diploma for her, and/or type up a transcript, or she can do it herself.

I might suggest, for her self-esteem, that she get her GED. I know that sounds strange, but it seems like she has wanted to distance herself from her past. Getting the GED may give her a sense of independence, starting fresh, doing something on her own, kwim? Also, if she approaches or enrolls somewhere in order to take it, there may be someone that gives career counseling, helping her see what options she has and helping her with any financial aid.

:iagree: My boys (now in college in TX) do not have a formal diploma. Nor do they have a GED. They just entered community college at age eighteen, with no questions asked because they met the state entrance requirements. So whereas this young woman maybe won't need any kind of credentials to enter a Washington state community college ( ? ), it does seem possible that obtaining a GED will help her with "self worth" feelings. Those are so important when seeking a job !

I'm sorry that she felt a need to distance herself from her family, but I admit that I probably would have done the same thing. Although I hope for my daughter to be a SAHM with a stable family life, I also know "reality" -- which is that every woman needs to possess skills that would enable her to earn a living, should the need arise. That entails receiving an education, whether from college, trade school, or apprenticeship. As the cliche goes, "Life happens".

Another option is night school. That's how I got my high school diploma. It's one step above the GED and you actually get an official high school diploma. You have to attend classes, though. The classes are designed so almost anyone can pass them and they were at night (mostly working adults); but you do have to show up. If all she wants is the high school diplome.... The community college option sounds better if she can swing it.

Thank you all for the information. I suspect that hearing a chorus of experienced homeschool parents saying, "No, check the diploma box!" may be enough for her to feel confident doing so. At least, I hope so. I'll pass all of the information along -- about the COMPASS and making her own transcript and such. And thanks to the folks who suggested it might be okay for her to get a GED. I realize I should be careful not to let my own feelings about GEDs get in the way of helping this girl.

A high school transcript from her mother would be ideal. Checking high school graduate would be ok and honest too. She IS a high school graduate! The only people that would even look at a transcript would be a college or trade school. If Friend wanted to attend CC she probably could pass the entrance tests for math and english and just start taking classes. The GED would be good to have as an official diploma for situations where the homeschool diploma isn't accepted and there are quite a few of those situations. My middle son had to take the GED to get into culinary school even though I gave them a transcript. I just told him not to put on any job applications GED but high school grad, because he IS. Honestly, I went to 3 years of high school, then straight to a university at age 17 (in South Dakota). I had all my required courses too because I went to summer school. I took the GED when my class graduated the following year. I can't remember why I took the GED, must have been required for scholarships or something because the college didn't require it. I ended up graduating from college and getting my CPA certificate. I NEVER put GED on job applications because of the association of being a "dropout", but technically I did not have an official high school diploma.

I would also suggest the CC route rather than a GED. Plus, if she completes one year of CC work, NARS will grant a HS Diploma for the work, so she will have both a real, accredited HS diploma and a year of CC. IMHO that looks a lot better on a job application than a GED.

Jackie

It just tweaks my jaws when I hear stories like this. IMNVHO, the parents were irresponsible and negligent in not doing their due diligence. I don't believe it's necessary to do 12 years of school, or complete a specific body of work, in order for a child to be graduated, but FCOL the parents should have done SOMETHING in preparation for the future, i.e., officially graduate their dd and prepare a transcript of some kind.

My vote: Check "yes" on high school graduation; make her own diploma, although she will probably never have to show it; take classes at the community college; don't look back.