Menu

Costco doesn't allow minors to make purchases???

Today my 14yo ran into the warehouse to see if they carried an item we're looking for, and they would barely let him through the door. The "bouncer" made it clear that he could purchase NOTHING, as he is a minor.

After thinking about this, I wondered if I had a sick or sleeping child in the car and needed the help of an older child, I could not have him run in for milk, or diapers, or bread, or a pizza; Costco would not allow it. I asked this of the bouncer woman, who made no apologies, and told me that if I didn't like it, I could talk to the manager.

I was fuming!!!:mad:

I don't know if it works like Sam's or not?

But, you have to have a membership to buy stuff. And if a minor can't be a member, and they don't allow people to use each other's cards, than a minor would never be qualified to make a purchase?

Just a stab in the dark.

At Sam's I can't get thru the door without my photo membership card and photo id. Did this child have those?

At our SAMS they don't really look at the card. I just wave it at them and keep walking LOL. The cashiers take the card but they just swipe it through before scanning the stuff. My sons have shopped for me and used my card, but they are not minors so I don't know about that part.

I don't know if it works like Sam's or not?

But, you have to have a membership to buy stuff. And if a minor can't be a member, and they don't allow people to use each other's cards, than a minor would never be qualified to make a purchase?

Just a stab in the dark.

This is a copy of their membership brochure.

Page 14 outlines the terms - you must be 18 to be a member, you must show your card to enter or purchase, and membership is not transferable. It also states that children should not be left unattended in the store.

Yes. This is how my dh's Sam's membership is. He has one, but I don't, so no Sam's shopping for me unless he is with me. It's never been a big deal here and I wouldn't be mad about it. Just liek I woudln't get mad if the local grocery store wouldn't let my ds make a purchase with my credit card. They don't know him from Adam, so why should they let him use a card that isn't his? In fact, now that I think about it like that, I would be rather concerned if they did let him use it!