Menu

Singapore math and calculators

Ohdanigirl

Ds will be going into the #5 books and I haven't allowed calculators at all. Just wondering if anybody knows in which year they become necessary. I am assuming it will be high school when we will need one of those pricey ones, but just want to be sure. Thanks!

Danielle

Ds will be going into the #5 books and I haven't allowed calculators at all. Just wondering if anybody knows in which year they become necessary. I am assuming it will be high school when we will need one of those pricey ones, but just want to be sure. Thanks!

Danielle

I think it starts in 7th grade. We have not used one all the way through 6th. My dd is starting NEM for 7th next year and I flipped through the book when I first got it and I think I saw a reference for calculators in it. Sorry I'm not of more help. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a more "definitive" answer soon. :)

Singapore starts with calculators in New Elementary Math 1. It is mostly used to compute really large numbers in the extra sections where the computing of the number isn't vital to the concept being taught(we're in chpt 8). They now even allow calculators on the SAT and the ITBS 6th grade test we just took. In my day we were not allowed to touch one until calculus. Even so, I make him work out the large numbers and then learn how to use the calculator as at some point it does become necessary. Few of any of ds's school friends can do any math (simple basic math) in their head because they are so used to using calculators in school.

What I don't understand is this continual statement from various companies etc that say kids need to learn how to use a calculator. It isn't very difficult and certainly doesn't require "learning" and continual practice like math facts do! No calculators in my home until trig.

:iagree: I do not let my girls use one either to do their work. I have let them use it to correct work that has already been completed.

What I don't understand is this continual statement from various companies etc that say kids need to learn how to use a calculator. It isn't very difficult and certainly doesn't require "learning" and continual practice like math facts do! No calculators in my home until trig.

LOL:D. I was told this in high school, which is why I asked. The truth is that, even tough I am not paticularly math-y, I felt the calculator got in the way. I know in the higher math some texts want children to learn how to use the big calculators for scientific notation and what not, but I wasn't sure since they seem to be bringing them in earlier and earlier. I would prefer to stay away as long as we can, bringing one in only when absolutely needed. would hate for my children to have to get a calculator out every time they need to make change...aurrgh! I hate that. Thanks all.

Danielle