Menu

Abeka phonics or ETC?

Tamologa4

I am torn between using either Abeka phonics or ETC with Alphaphonics. I love the looks of the ETC workbooks and the Abeka program. :confused:

Can anyone give me positives and/or negatives for these two programs?

Do you like one more than the other?

Please help!:lol:

--Angelique

I am using A Beka's phonics program and it's been working for us. The boys are learning to read. I like the format and it is visually very appealing. I have no experience with the other one you mentioned, but I do need to put in a plug for A Beka!

We are huge ETC fans here. I am not familiar with Abeka phonics so I cannot compare/contrast but I will share what I love about ETC. The format is simple, simple, simple for mom's to follow. No elaborate planning required. The layout is simple for the child as well. No confusing graphics just clean pages, only black and white so no distractions there either. That would be a negative for some but it's a plus in my book at this early stage. You can work as slowly or quickly as you want. It's a very thorough program. If you stick with it to the end of book 8 your dc will have an excellent grasp of phonics - assuming the workbook format is one that works for your child. I love the 1/2 books and we did many of those as well when we needed additional review and/or I just felt we weren't quite ready to move on. The program is cheap compared to many out there, too.

We delayed the start of formal spelling until half-way through second grade when we finished book 8. No regrets there. My ds8 is an excellent speller and I think ETC gave him a solid foundation for that success.

Abeka hands down. I have taught 3 and getting read to teach the 4th with Abeka phonics. It is short, colorful and easy. I bought OPGTR and ETC to experiment on one child after reading TWTM and quickly sold them and returned to Abeka. Yes, it is classroomy in the look and all the bells and whistles but it is worth it. My kids learned to read effortlessly on both our parts:O)

HTH,

Barb

I kept going back and forth between the two also! Last year we used Word Mastery with just Letters and Sounds K (no other A Beka stuff). They synced up really well. I liked Letters and Sounds alot. We skipped alot of pages because she simply didn't need that much review.

This year we're going to continue with Word Mastery, though now I own Phonics Pathways too, so we'll be seeing which we prefer. Like I said, I kept looking at ETC cause it looks good, too! I finally decided to go with Letters and Sounds 1. I just got it in the mail a couple days ago:) It looks just as good as the previous one!

Honestly, I think you'll get a thorough phonics education from either one! When I showed the different samples to my DD, she was attracted to ETC simply because she would be able to color the plain pictures:) But she likes A Beka just fine, too.

Which would YOUR child enjoy more?