Menu

simply charlotte mason -- what are your favorites?

so i absolutely adore this website,in theory, but i've never purchased anything.

i'd like to hear about things you've purchased and either felt were really worth the money, or things that weren't so great. :) anything ... curriculum, organizers, handy helps, etc.

thanks in advance!

I love the All Day Seminar! I'm very happy with that purchase. And unless you have no behavior issues to address with your kids, I'd get the Laying Down the Rails book too. I wish I had when I bought the set. My next purchase will be Spelling Wisdom and I'd like to try the math too!

The only thing I've ever purchased was the practical math unit where you start a pretend business. Sorry I forgot the name. My dd did the pet store. It's awesome! She's not only learning how math is used in business but also the pitfalls of business, like not having enough inventory to fill an order. She gets regular practice with math and is learning the basics of running a business. Love it! They have pet store, book store, or sports store.

That's basically how I have been planning, only I thought it was MY idea LOL!:001_smile:

It really does make sense. :) I tried doing it on my own in a similar fashion and I always got overwhelmed and it never worked. :001_huh:

For myself, I have enjoyed the All Day Seminar, Laying Down the Rails (seminar and book), and Planning Your CM Education (book). I also bought one of the calendar planners (2 years ago) and it was very nice. I may buy the new one coming out for August 2009-December 2010.

My dd loves Spelling Wisdom (we are using it slowly), and we are also reading Boy of the Pyramids. It is good. I have Jack's Insects for a future read. I bought a download version of the first history cycle and I really like it---though we have decided to pursue American history studies for now. I also really like the Scripture Memory system on the site (that is free!). :001_smile:

I've bought Spelling Wisdom volume 1, and the Laying Down the Rails book. I wholeheartedly recommend both. They've been great to have.

We also use their free Book of the Centuries and memory system. Both work well for us and will be continued this year.

The "Reaching Your Child's Heart" audio session really touched me deeply when I first heard it, and I try to listen to it again every once in a while. It's really what I need to hear to keep me on track with setting priorities and putting my kids first.

I have the Laying Down the Rails (book and DVD), Planning Your CM Education (book and DVD) and the All Day Seminar. I really enjoyed the Laying Down the Rails and am hopeful that my DH will be able to watch it with me as well. The Planning Your CM Ed. has been helpful as well, but I'm not finished with it yet.

I haven't been able to watch the All Day Seminar yet, but I'm planning a "homeschool planning" retreat in August and that is on my list to do!

Oh..I also have Spelling Wisdom, which we enjoy and the Pet Store business math is on my wish list for my DD.

Do you think the all day seminar would help if I'm planning on using AO as written?

I don't want something that's going to confuse me on what books to use, but I'd love to watch something CM oriented to further my u/standing of the methods.

TIA.