Menu

Computer Classes

OK, I know very little about computers and have somehow gotten 2 dds through high school. Now my ds(almost 15) and starting his sophmore year is expressing a desire to persue Computer Engineering in college. What kinds of computer classes should I have him take in high school? I tried to have him take a basic class last year in our co-op and he already knew everything taught in the class (Excel, Word, etc.)

He just had me purchase a book entitled "Learn C on the Mac". I don't even know what that means!!:confused: He is working through the book and seems to understand it...and he's actually enjoying it! If he works through this book, would that be considered a class/credit? Is this of any value? If he is heading in the right direction, what would be next?

I would appreciate any input here as I am in unknown territory. (My son is my technical backup....I don't know where he learned what he knows, but I'm thankful for him.):001_smile:

TIA,

Leanna

Your homeschool class was teaching applications - that is software that runs on the computer. Your computer savvy son already knows how to use all the typical applications. There may be specialty applications he would be interested in. C is a programming language. Programming is how you create applications! If he is learning and enjoying it, that is great. C is still a useful language and any programming language will help make the next one easier (just like learning foreign languages).

The thing that is most needed for computer engineering is LOTS of math. He will probably need Calc I, II and III in college along with classes like differential equations or linear algebra. Make sure his math foundation is very strong. Anything he learns on the computer is a bonus. If he can learn some languages and play with things like building websites, building animations, writing applications or games, whatever interests him, that will all be gravy.

Most kids going into computer fields love them and have spent lots of time on them and learned tons of applications and a few programming languages too. Having an instructor walk him through one language would be very positive because he would get some structural understanding that he might miss on his own.

Hi Leanna,

Are you close to a community college? If so, you may want to look there for some intro classes. My older son took Intro to CIS, Intro to Java, and Intro to C classes at our local CC as a sophomore. He enjoyed them all and the instructor (the same teacher for all three classes!) really liked having ds and other homeschooled students in his classes. My older ds is never afraid to ask questions if he doesn't understand something, and I told him that if he wsn't getting it some other student probably needed the explanation as well. Anyway, it was a grat experience for him, and for me, since I am at the top of my game, computer-wise, just to get the occasional post done on-line. Like you, my son is my tech back-up. What will I do when he graduates and goes off to college? (grin)

Blessings,

April

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think he's on the right track with math since he's about to start Pre-Calc for 10th grade. We live so far out in the country that CC is out of the question until he can drive himself, but in junior year that may be what we have to do for computer programming and calculus.

I'm going to look into both online programs and, in the meantime, let him plow through his computer programming book.

Sue, thanks for the list. He mentioned some of these to me, and now I know where to look next.

April, when my son goes to college it will be with the understanding that he is still my tech support and he must accept all phone calls or his funding is cut!;)

Blessings,

Leanna

My son will be doing dual-enrollment this coming fall. Last year he did Chalkdust Pre-Calculus and also physics. He just met with an engineering advisor (for entering into the CC's engineering transfer degree) at the CC for a rough plan of what math & science classes to take when, since some classes are only offered certain quarters and there are prerequisites.

One thing the advisor asked, that I don't see mentioned here yet, is Chemistry. If the student has not take a FULL YEAR of high school chemistry, he cannot go into college chemistry. There's a LOT of chemistry, so saving having to take intro. to chemistry would be a plus.

Also, as stated, LOTS of math. My son placed higher, but all the advice on these boards and from friends of older students said start him in College Algebra. The prerequisite at our CC for Calculus is College Algebra and high school trigonomentry. BUT, the engineering advisor recommended he not get the waiver for trig, but go ahead and take it. Engineering requires a lot of math, and a good foundation is essential.

My ds is taking College Algebra over the summer. It is mostly review for him, but it has helped as a transition to the CC while taking just one class. He'll be full-time in the fall. His homeschool pre-calc has prepared him well, as he's helping classmates.

BTW, this mom loves it that his first friend/classmate at the CC has turned out to be a young homeschooling dad! :001_smile:

HTH,

Kimm in WA

If you live out in the country, this might be a good option. My son has taken the junior-high programming class at Potter's School (Logo to Lego) and the first year of the Web Design course; he'll take the second year next year. Over the summer the web-design teacher, Mr Connor, is teaching Python as a supplement for interested kids (this is a very hot language right now):

http://mrconnor.com/cgi-bin/mrconnor.cgi

Potter's also offers Java, Visual Basic as Gwen mentioned, C++, etc. and Mr Yonts (the Java/Linux teacher) said they will also offer a data structures class soon. Mr Gray (the Logo and C++ teacher) says Potter's School is getting to have as many programming classes as a good CC (I can vouch for that -- our CC has many "computer tech" and "computer repair" classes, but only a handful of actual programming classes). I have nothing but praise for the Potter's computer classes -- the instructors know their stuff & are incredibly helpful and accessible if the kid has a problem. It's been wonderful for my son who lives and breathes computers ;-)

~Laura

Laura, would these classes be for a student who is interested in going into programming, not computer engineering? My son is entering the CC's engineering transfer degree program during his dual-enrolled years, with the goal of becoming a computer engineer. When my ds met with the CC advisor, he didn't even ASK about any computer classes, just math and chemistry.

Kimm

Kimm -- I'm not sure. I haven't thought that far ahead yet (my son is 12!). For now the Potter's classes are wonderful for a young kid who isn't ready for CC yet. I *have* heard that a computer engineering degree is more versatile than a computer science or computer programming degree, but I don't see my son as doing too well in engineering-type stuff (better with his head than his hands ;-)

I have found the Potter's teachers extremely helpful & approachable. Anyone who has any questions can just e-mail them via the Potter's website. Mr Gray *called* me when I was wondering what my son should do after Mr Gray's junior-high class, and spent a long time discussing the Potter's computer curriculum, computer degrees in general, my son's strengths in particular, etc. (Mr Gray is young -- 27ish -- and a recent graduate with a degree in, I think, computational math -- something that wasn't a major at my college back in the old days!) Mr Yonts (the Java teacher) also sent me long e-mails when I was pondering whether my son should take Java or Web Design. Mr Connor (the web-design teacher) has tutored my son one-on-one several times. I can't rave about these guys enough! -- especially since our CC is pretty pathetic (and my son is still young). I'm sure other CCs have much better programs, with hands-on classes (something that's hard for an online class).

~Laura

Maybe your son would be more interested in computer programming. As you said, he still has time and will steer in a certain direction as he takes these classes.

FYI, when talking with the CC advisor, he suggested ds, who is interested in becoming a computer engineer, go into the broader field of electrical engineering . . .then he could always specialize. He used the illustration of back in the 70's when everyone wanted to be an aeronautical engineer because of NASAs moon trips. After we'd gone to the moon a couple of times, funding was cut and thousands of aeronautical engineers lost their jobs. The ones that had not had such a narrow specialty were able to go on and get other job. Just food for thought.

Kimm

Kimm, that's good to know. Thanks for the info -- I think I will bookmark this thread to refer back to when my son is older. I had been wondering if EE would be a good major for him, but I don't know -- he's just not mechanically inclined ;-) We'll have to see!

Best wishes to your son -- it sounds like he is getting good direction!

~Laura

This is self-paced. You can start the classes at any time and you are required to complete the course within one year. They offer intro courses of VBScript, HTML, PHP, Java, and C. They are $150 per class.

My ds is really learning a lot from these online courses.

Claire in NM

My dd has taken classes through K12 International Academy, I think they contract through Giant Campus.

But they give credit and there are great teachers to help along the way.

So far, she has had, Dig. Photog and next is Game Design, I know they have a lot of others she is not interested in. But they are pretty comprehensive and the kids work on many projects.

Its amazing how much comp. knowledge she has in one yr .