Menu

One Small Square

Pongo

Can I just say that these books are wonderful!!!

I made a center around the One Small Square books. We are working on Backyard and the kids are making their Woodsorama..lol

They have been diligently working outside for the last 2 hours!! I read 3 books to them, read the first three pages of One Small Square and they are doing the craft from the book. This was sooooo easy to put together.

Even I learned a ton from these books, and by adding some picture books it engaged them ALL even my 11 yod dd. I can't believe how hard she is working on this?:confused:

I just wanted something to keep busy over the summer, I figured if I could capture their attention for an hour then I didn't feel like we totally blew off school for the whole summer. But my word, I never thought they would LOVE IT!

I was able to clean the house, vacuum, fold ALL the laundry and put it away. I am now going to dust, and my house is clean, and they are still outside at the picnic table.....I'll have to deep clean some closets tomorrow while they are working on this again and I still have them fooled.....(insert best evil laugh here)

We used some of them to study habitats a couple of years ago and adopted our own "small square." We have a nature area near us, and DS used colored tape to flag a small clearing for his square. We visited regularly over a year and really started noticing any changes in the flora and fauna!

Enjoy the chance to get some stuff done.

I am thinking about purchasing this series for a unit on biomes around the world. How long do these books take to read? What reading level are they written for? Do they include enough info on a particular biome to serve as a sole source of info for that biome, or do you consider them more of a supplement?

I have a few animal atlases/encyclopedias that touch on biomes as well, so I'm trying to find some read-alouds to go with them that will fill out our study. I'm hoping that these are the ones!!

I am using them for my 11, 9(almost 10) and 7 yod and they are all learning from them. I would day they are on a reading level for 8-12 year olds. Tons of information as well as a list in the back with several more books to flesh out the topic if you wanted to go more in depth.

We read 2 books on the same topics as well as the first three pages and then I sent them to the "Center" to pick out a craft/project to do. That's been the entire morning:)

I bought the set, and I have pulled them out and everytime I look at them I love them. I decided if I created an actual One Small Square Center, then I had to use them.

After I made the center the kids were really interested in what we were learning. I wish I had done them earlier. I am guessing it will take a week to get through it if we did it daily, or we could spread it out to 2 weeks.

I am thinking about purchasing this series for a unit on biomes around the world. How long do these books take to read? What reading level are they written for? Do they include enough info on a particular biome to serve as a sole source of info for that biome, or do you consider them more of a supplement?

I have a few animal atlases/encyclopedias that touch on biomes as well, so I'm trying to find some read-alouds to go with them that will fill out our study. I'm hoping that these are the ones!!

We are in the middle of doing that with my almost 9yo, so I can tell you what we are doing in case you would find it helpful. My choice of books was heavily influenced by what I had on the shelf already;):

For each biome:

Applicable One Small Square book

any relevant Magic School Bus book (they have one on rainforests, etc)

Jean Craighead George's series of "One day in....."----"One Day in the Rainforest", etc---she's reading it independently, but these are stories so could be done as a read aloud

a biomes of North America series called "A Walk in the....."----this might be better than One Small Square for younger ages as a read aloud, but the One Small Square ones can be used for whatever they retain now plus lots of info for later. These do not have craft activities or the amount of information, but really nice photos. I happened to have both, so we are using both.

We are adding in info on the indigenous peoples of the different biomes to see the effects that the biome has on their way of life (usually traditional). I'm using the "If you lived with....." series (Sioux, Cherokee, Alaska Territory, Iroquois, Hopi, etc) for the North American ones.

Our goal is to put together a small book----I found a blank biome map and had her color in the different biomes, then printed another blank map colored with just the one particular biome for each one. She then takes notes on characteristics, people, animals and plants of each biome, draws a picture of the biome and writes a short few paragraph essay on each one. At the end I will have her do a summation essay and we will hole punch all of it, tie it together with construction paper covers.

I'll try to load pics:)

In the little wicker baskets are the craft/projects that were in the One Small Square books, I just photocopied the sidebar so they would be able to pick the craft/project out of the basket:)

post-735-13535082925303_thumb.jpg

post-735-13535082925637_thumb.jpg

post-735-13535082925998_thumb.jpg

post-735-13535082925303_thumb.jpg

post-735-13535082925637_thumb.jpg

post-735-13535082925998_thumb.jpg

I have all te books here. My oldest enjoys them and I hope that my younger ones will enjoy the books at well. We have'nt been able to do a square due to where we live but we do go out and about on nature hikes that relate to the book. Yes even the backyard square was a no go. I can't even get birds to come and eat. My daughter likes making the diagram at the end of the book. The box thingie, can't think of the proper word for it. We are starting the Tundra one soon.

Pongo - Oh My Gosh! That is so cute! Can you come to my house and do that? I am so not crafty and both of my girls are, so I feel like I'm depriving them of these cute decorations and touches which they would love. I'm a great baker and could trade for cookies. :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I am using them for my 11, 9(almost 10) and 7 yod and they are all learning from them. I would day they are on a reading level for 8-12 year olds. Tons of information as well as a list in the back with several more books to flesh out the topic if you wanted to go more in depth.

We read 2 books on the same topics as well as the first three pages and then I sent them to the "Center" to pick out a craft/project to do. That's been the entire morning:)

I bought the set, and I have pulled them out and everytime I look at them I love them. I decided if I created an actual One Small Square Center, then I had to use them.

After I made the center the kids were really interested in what we were learning. I wish I had done them earlier. I am guessing it will take a week to get through it if we did it daily, or we could spread it out to 2 weeks.

We are in the middle of doing that with my almost 9yo, so I can tell you what we are doing in case you would find it helpful. My choice of books was heavily influenced by what I had on the shelf already;):

For each biome:

Applicable One Small Square book

any relevant Magic School Bus book (they have one on rainforests, etc)

Jean Craighead George's series of "One day in....."----"One Day in the Rainforest", etc---she's reading it independently, but these are stories so could be done as a read aloud

a biomes of North America series called "A Walk in the....."----this might be better than One Small Square for younger ages as a read aloud, but the One Small Square ones can be used for whatever they retain now plus lots of info for later. These do not have craft activities or the amount of information, but really nice photos. I happened to have both, so we are using both.

We are adding in info on the indigenous peoples of the different biomes to see the effects that the biome has on their way of life (usually traditional). I'm using the "If you lived with....." series (Sioux, Cherokee, Alaska Territory, Iroquois, Hopi, etc) for the North American ones.

Our goal is to put together a small book----I found a blank biome map and had her color in the different biomes, then printed another blank map colored with just the one particular biome for each one. She then takes notes on characteristics, people, animals and plants of each biome, draws a picture of the biome and writes a short few paragraph essay on each one. At the end I will have her do a summation essay and we will hole punch all of it, tie it together with construction paper covers.

Thanks so much! This is extremely helpful. I'm planning on taking 10 weeks to do an overview of all of the biomes, and then we will go back and revisit each biome for 9-10 weeks, and learn about the plant and animal life that lives there in depth. So it sounds like I can use these books for my overview, and then add in additional resources later for each in-depth study.

Can't wait! :D

In the little wicker baskets are the craft/projects that were in the One Small Square books, I just photocopied the sidebar so they would be able to pick the craft/project out of the basket:)

Where did you buy the display board with the side shelves?

Pongo - Oh My Gosh! That is so cute! Can you come to my house and do that? I am so not crafty and both of my girls are, so I feel like I'm depriving them of these cute decorations and touches which they would love. I'm a great baker and could trade for cookies. :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Thanks! I'll take cookies over anything crafty.:drool5:

The Backyard and Woods small square books probably would not work, but you could use the Arctic Tundra, Cactus Desert, Cave, Coral Reef , Night Sky, Pond, Tropical Rain Forest,Seashore and Swamp ones:).

Oh well, I'll "only" buy those ones then ;)

Woods are still a valid biome even if we don't have it here, so is the book set out with the understanding that the reader has one nearby? It's not like most people live within a stones throw of tundra or desert, is it?

Rosie

Oh well, I'll "only" buy those ones then ;)

Woods are still a valid biome even if we don't have it here, so is the book set out with the understanding that the reader has one nearby? It's not like most people live within a stones throw of tundra or desert, is it?

Rosie

:lol:

Actually there is a lot of reference of going out to your woods. and if you don't have them to go to a park. Several crafts depend on having words around you, or to be accessible to them.

I live in MA and some winters, while shoveling out from several feet of snow I think I just might qualify living in a tundra:tongue_smilie:

Can you give a couple of titles so I can find these on Amazon? I searched for "A Walk in the" but there's too many results to know if I'm finding the right books.

Can you give a couple of titles so I can find these on Amazon? I searched for "A Walk in the" but there's too many results to know if I'm finding the right books.

Sorry, the author is Rebecca L. Johnson. Here's the one on deciduous forest---

http://www.amazon.com/Deciduous-Forest-Johnson-Rebecca-America/dp/1575051559/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246405834&sr=8-1

Thanks. I started checking my library's website for books by her, and they have a few. I started adding them to my list (not requesting them, more of a wishlist I can request from later), and I reached my limit of books the list will hold (100). :crying: Not the first time. Wish I could put more books on the list!

We don't have woods, but would bush be a suitable substitute? Or is it all about racoons and beavers, or whatever you people keep in your woods? ;)

Rosie

:lol::lol:I would have to say they do have the critters I am used to seeing, I did not happen to see any kangroos or emus. There was an opossum, you have those ..right?;)

Wow, thanks for sharing about how you're doing this, the pics were really helpful. My dd is dying to study animals, I'm using WP AW as our framework but will probably tweak it a lot and I love the idea of making a center. (AW uses the OSS books). I'm excited about this now.