Menu

Math issue.

I never seem to get any answers when I post things over at the Curriculum board...so, I'll post here.

Why does my 6yo understand harder math concepts, but has trouble with +1 and +0 facts? I do use manipulatives, stories, etc. to explain it every way I know how. I mean really...I was a math teacher!

Can anyone tell me why she seems to have a mental block with this? BTW...she CAN do it...I just have to re-explain it to her when she gets stuck. Sigh...

Smiles!

Thanks!

~Holly

I think maybe because those two kinds of addition facts are a bit different than the harder ones. +0 especially - "you put two numbers together and still get the same number?"! I would teach +0 as a special magical addition - and then see if you can "trick" her. I bet she will catch on quickly just so that she can trick you back by knowing those funny +0's!

+1 (while really the same as other addition facts) "seems" different because it is the next number on the number line. I think I would teach it as it's own unique kind of problem too. Maybe that would help her get her over her mental block.

Why does my 6yo understand harder math concepts, but has trouble with +1 and +0 facts? I do use manipulatives, stories, etc. to explain it every way I know how. I mean really...I was a math teacher!

~Holly

Whenever my kids have a problem understanding what the number sentences represent, I tend to go back to food or toy problems. If they have six cookies and I give them one more, how many do they have (6+1)? If they have six cookies and I give them no more, how many do they have (6+0)?

And I don't see that there is any problem with a 6yo continuing to act out a lot of math stories with manipulatives. Maybe you could have acting out and writing five number sentences each (you and her) be part of your math day.

Sebastian (a lady)

Percival Blakeney Academy

Sink me, I managed to quote another post.

Did you ever read Ruth Beechick's materials for K-3? She talks a lot about using manipulatives until the brain can actually process the symbols of 3+1. At six years old I wouldn't worry too much about it, just give them some counters to use.

It can take awhile for a child to switch from holding the manipulatives to picturing the manipulatives in their mind to picturing the numbers. Just let them use something to count with.

Hi Holly,

That any number added to zero is still the number you began with is not a "concept" in math. It's an axiom. (It's one of the field axioms) It's not that one can't illustrate it with objects, but that doesn't provide an explanation since there isn't a mathematical explanation.

A kid simply has to memorize this as a rule.

I have found that my third child is impervious to attempts to teach her using manipulatives and a "conceptual" approach. Ultimately, after she has been exposed to a landslide of drill she realizes the utility of the "trick" that I tried to explain to her (counting on by 1 for +1, for example) It's as if the method she uses, while conceptual in nature, must be her idea and not mine for it to stick. When I give up and do just plain drill work, making sure to only give her a very few problems, say 3 number facts randomly repeated 10 times) the concept itself will click with her with time.