Menu

Market tote pattern for you knitters....

I made this about a week ago and I am officially in love with it. I need to make more. It expands tremendously - I took it to WM today and got all this in it:

2 boxes of cereal

2 boxes of fruit snacks

a package of crackers

a box of business sized envelopes

a big roll of foil

a 6-pack of applesauce

about 5-6 other, smaller, less bulky items

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer08/PATTbyob.html

For a seed stitch item, it was a pretty quick knit. I needed the full two skeins of the main color, so you might want another one on hand just in case.

I just wanted to recommend it to you all! I'm planning on knitting a red, white, and blue one next. Bonus - the pattern uses Lion Brand yarn, so it's easily found!

Edited by Mommy22alyns

How hard is this to knit? Too hard for me, I'm guessing, since I have no idea what a seed stitch is :).

If you know how to knit and purl, you can do seed stitch. It's just alternating K, P, K, P (etc.) stitches, with the next row having the stitches staggered over the first (rather than lined up, as in ribbing). It's really easier than I made it sound! :D I learned it by painstakingly following instructions until I could "see" the pattern.

That looks great. I wish there was a crochet counterpart because although I've tried time and again to knit I'm not very good at it. Maybe I should give it another try.

Do you hold the yarn in your left hand when you crochet? If so, you might have more success with German/continental-style knitting. This is what I learned when I was 8 or 9 in Germany. Later, when I learned how to crochet (just the very basics) I found the motions to be very similar. I think Elizabeth Zimmerman's books/videos teach this method, in case you're interested.

That's really cute! My MIL would love it. I just started teaching myself to knit a couple of weeks ago so this may be a bit above my level right now. I look forward to giving it a go and learning to read a pattern at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

How hard is this to knit? Too hard for me, I'm guessing, since I have no idea what a seed stitch is :).

Yes, like Kelsy said, seed stitch (sometimes called moss stitch) is just K,P and on the other side you P,K. Very easy, just a little slow going with the yarn switching (I need to learn a true Continental style).

Nukeswife, here's a beautiful crochet pattern - I love it but I don't think my crochet skills are up to par.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=25581

Here's a pic of my finished BYOB bag and Sylvie posing with it:

handiwork003.jpghandiwork002.jpg

If you know how to knit and purl, you can do seed stitch. It's just alternating K, P, K, P (etc.) stitches, with the next row having the stitches staggered over the first (rather than lined up, as in ribbing). It's really easier than I made it sound! :D I learned it by painstakingly following instructions until I could "see" the pattern.

The truth is, I've forgotten exactly how to purl. I can knit right and left handed, so can fake it if it's knit a row, purl a row. I do Continental knitting, not the English way that most Americans & Canadians do. Isn't there a site somewhere where I can see it done that way?

I want reusable bags made here (Can/US) and Lion Brand cotton yarns are made either in Canada or the US so that fits. Not all of their yarns are made here--some are made in Turkey, etc. I can crochet, too, but I'm still working on tension as it's been so long since I did it regularly and the last thing I crocheted was with ribbon (never again!). I started crocheting a scarf for dd and it took me a while to get my tension even again.

So, to knit or crochet, that's the question...

Well, there's one more--how to purl the Continental way. I think I know, but would really like a refresher. I can picture the seed stitch now with the alternating way, but need to know the exact way to do the stitch.

Of course, I would still want my meats put into plastic bags. I'm not that green yet!

The truth is, I've forgotten exactly how to purl. I can knit right and left handed, so can fake it if it's knit a row, purl a row. I do Continental knitting, not the English way that most Americans & Canadians do. Isn't there a site somewhere where I can see it done that way?

I want reusable bags made here (Can/US) and Lion Brand cotton yarns are made either in Canada or the US so that fits. Not all of their yarns are made here--some are made in Turkey, etc. I can crochet, too, but I'm still working on tension as it's been so long since I did it regularly and the last thing I crocheted was with ribbon (never again!). I started crocheting a scarf for dd and it took me a while to get my tension even again.

So, to knit or crochet, that's the question...

Well, there's one more--how to purl the Continental way. I think I know, but would really like a refresher. I can picture the seed stitch now with the alternating way, but need to know the exact way to do the stitch.

Of course, I would still want my meats put into plastic bags. I'm not that green yet!

Karin, check out www.knittinghelp.com for some great how-to videos. You can probably find exactly what you need there!

Karin, check out www.knittinghelp.com for some great how-to videos. You can probably find exactly what you need there!

Thanks! They have both ways of knitting there. I can't get Adobe Flash Player to work, but there's a link to a Finnish woman purling that is slowly downloading in my Window's Media Player. If that works I can watch it, although the photo on the site looks a lot like I remember purling. The problem is I learned from 2 different people and they might have done it 2 different ways.