Menu

Has anyone ever had a toenail removed?

I had my toenail on my big toe removed because of an infection under the nail. The doctor made it out to be that recovery would be fast and not painful. NOT!! When I took off the initial bandage it stuck fast. I didn't sleep the first night and not part of the second night because of the pain. I don't necessarily have a weak stomach but the sight of it makes me want to gag. The toe is bright red, looks like raw meat! He said I could shower and I have but the slightest drop of water makes the toe hurt and throb.

Is this normal? and how long will this take to heal? I can't wear anything but my Nike sandals.

I'm sorry, I never had that happen. It sounds painful, though, and I hope you make a fast recovery.

Have you given any thought to covering your foot with plastic when you take a shower so that you don't have to get the toe wet at first? I did that when I had a cyst removed from my little toe - the dr. screwed up and took off so much skin and tissue that I was on crutches for two weeks because it would bleed every time I tried to walk on it.

Good luck!

I have. It heals over pretty fast. If you cover it try to do so in a way that doesn't "stick" and re-open the wound. And maybe stay out of the bath for a day or two.

I'd also make sure you put a doctor prescribed anti-fungal cream on diligently. Open toe nails are very prone to developing fungus under the nail. If you didn't get a prescription, insist on one.

Bill

My mom had one removed last year and they gave her some green goopy medicine to put on it daily for about four days. It was her big toe so she had a lot of open surface area. It also took her quite a while to be able to wear a shoe over again - maybe months. Again, thats because it was the big toe. When is your follow up appointment? Is it feeling warmer than the surrounding tissue like it might be infected? Were you sent home with an after care sheet and a contact number? Which toe was it? And if it hurts, baby it for a few days.

Oh - and did they kill the root? Because that adds to the pain and recovery time.

After having both toes done, I was bum dragging myself between the bedroom and the loo for about a fortnight, I think. On the plus side, I soon had a nicely exfoliated bottom! I also had to sleep with my feet in a box under the covers because the blankets were too heavy. It was not fun. Once I was back on my feet again, I could only walk very slowly for another few weeks and got tired very quickly!

My sympathies...

Rosie

My mom had one removed last year and they gave her some green goopy medicine to put on it daily for about four days. It was her big toe so she had a lot of open surface area. It also took her quite a while to be able to wear a shoe over again - maybe months. Again, thats because it was the big toe. When is your follow up appointment? My follow up is on Wednesday. Is it feeling warmer than the surrounding tissue like it might be infected? No. Were you sent home with an after care sheet and a contact number? No. They just said to wash it 2 times a day which I can't. I've taken a shower so the water has washed over it but I'm not scrubbing it. He said to keep it covered with a bandage and use triple antibiotic cream on it. Which toe was it? left big toe. And if it hurts, baby it for a few days. I've been totally babying it....I had my ds scrub the tile floor today while I watched!

Oh - and did they kill the root? They didn't kill the root. I'm suppose to have a brand new toe nail in 9 - 12 months. Because that adds to the pain and recovery time.

Thanks!

This is what I'm trying to avoid! A baby dropped a big, dang sippy cup on my big toe 2 years ago! I lost it last year, again. When it grew back it had wicked fungus which is lifting the nail. So, I cut it back (I did black out for a few seconds). Now, I'm left with 1/4 of my toenail and it's still super sensitive but not as badly as yours. Mine lost sensitivity after a couple of days.

I'm soooo hoping this doesn't have to be me! Feel better really, really soon!