Menu

Can Miquon be done without the rods?

mo2

The program is pretty much based around Cuisenaire Rods. It would take some effort to remake lab-sheets to match up with MUS blocks. But I suppose it could be done. The lab-sheets are pretty much hand-drawn in any case. It's just more work than seems reasonable.

Bill

Or, more specifically, can I use MUS blocks instead of the rods? I'm on a very tight budget and am trying to cut corners wherever I can.

I would use the rods. I have seen them on ebay in a big tub cheaply before (just generic ones that match Miquon, etc.). I think to make the program work better, you'd want the right ones.

I have both sets of rods. One of my girls has, occasionally, used the MUS rods with Miquon (when her sister was hogging all the Cuisenaire rods), but they don't work as well. In the orange book there are pages with the outline shapes of the Cuisenaire rods. Also, the MUS rods aren't as versatile since they are already scored; a blue rod can only be a 10. Where as the Cuisenaire rods can stand for other values. Look around for some used ones - they are well worth it.

Janet

Honestly? No, you can't. This is worth budgeting for.

I think I'd go with another curriculum, probably MEP or Singapore, if I felt I couldn't afford a set of rods. (Of course MEP requires paper and printer ink, so it really isn't cheaper in the long run. And Singapore is not cheap either once you factor in the HIGs.)

I'd highly recommend avoiding the connecting rods and going with either the plastic (the unscored ones) or wood. Ideally you'd get a small group set. Including shipping, you can get the plastic small group set for $18.45 at Rainbow Resource: link. A plastic introductory set (including shipping) would be $13.05: link.

They do show up on the FS board here once in a while. You could post a WTB thread here. Also check vegsource.com and homeschoolclassifieds.com.

Good luck getting your hands on some rods!