Menu

Making Homemade Ice Cream - need help

Ok, so I just made wonderful, homemade vanilla ice cream. :drool5:

But, I'm really more of a chocolate girl. Can I just add melted chocolate (say, semi-sweet) to the stovetop recipe next time and get chocolate ice cream.

The only chocolate ice cream recipe I have calls for eggs to be added to the hot milk - and I always end up with scrambled eggs when I try that. :001_unsure:

The vanilla ice cream recipe I'm using doesn't call for eggs. It's just milk, 1/2 & 1/2, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Can I just throw in some melted chocolate?

(Please say yes.)

Does anyone have any experience?

Here's a recipe from the Donvier ice cream book for Simple Chocolate Ice Cream:

1/2 c sugar

1 cup milk

2 cups whipping cream

5 oz semi sweet chocolate

Combine milk, sugar and cream over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Add chocolate and stir well or put into a blender until chocolate is melted. Chill thoroughly.

However, I much prefer the custard based chocolate ice cream with eggs. The trick is to beat the eggs well, then add the hot milk mixture *very* slowly to the eggs while whisking (and I mean like a tablespoon at a time, whisk, then add another tablespoon, etc., until you've diluted the eggs quite a bit, then they can be added back into the hot milk).

Homemade chocolate ice cream is my favorite!! This past year, I bet I've made at least 25 gallons of it! I LOVE David Lebovitz's ice cream recipe book The Perfect Scoop. His chocolate ice cream recipe alone is worth the price of the book!!! -My husband calls his chocolate ice cream the food of the gods- it's really an incredibly creamy chocolate! The texture and taste are out of this world!!! He has a website where he lists a lot of his recipes, but I'm not sure if his chocolate ice cream is on it - just google David Lebovitz, recipes.

There are basically 2 styles of ice cream-French and American. French uses eggs and makes a custard and Philadelphia style is made without eggs. The custard (egg) style is my favorite bc it makes a creamier ice cream. The other is a little more like ice-milk in my opinion.

If you are adding hot milk to eggs, they will scramble. The trick is to just "warm" the milk - then with a whisk, quickly pour the warm milk into the bowl of eggs while you're stirring. Next, pour the egg/milk mixture back into the pot and place on stove. Now you can heat the custard until it's nice and steamy. I always put a mesh strainer above the cream mixture bowl - then pour in your eggy custard when it's done. That way, it catches any bits of egg that might have cooked.

Enjoy your ice cream!

I use Egg Beaters when I make homemade ice cream. So far, I 've not had a problem.

Genius!

could also use chocolate milk. I have done that before and it tasted pretty good.

What a fabulous idea! That would totally work, wouldn't it?

Homemade chocolate ice cream is my favorite!! This past year, I bet I've made at least 25 gallons of it! I LOVE David Lebovitz's ice cream recipe book The Perfect Scoop. His chocolate ice cream recipe alone is worth the price of the book!!! -My husband calls his chocolate ice cream the food of the gods- it's really an incredibly creamy chocolate! The texture and taste are out of this world!!! He has a website where he lists a lot of his recipes, but I'm not sure if his chocolate ice cream is on it - just google David Lebovitz, recipes.

Ok, I totally have to check this book and website out.

There are basically 2 styles of ice cream-French and American. French uses eggs and makes a custard and Philadelphia style is made without eggs. The custard (egg) style is my favorite bc it makes a creamier ice cream. The other is a little more like ice-milk in my opinion.

I noticed this phenomenon with the ice cream recipes I have: egg or no egg. I didn't know it was an American/French thing. I do agree that the ice cream I've been making without egg is more like ice milk. I prefer a creamier texture so I guess I have to keep trying with adding the egg.

If you are adding hot milk to eggs, they will scramble. The trick is to just "warm" the milk - then with a whisk, quickly pour the warm milk into the bowl of eggs while you're stirring. Next, pour the egg/milk mixture back into the pot and place on stove. Now you can heat the custard until it's nice and steamy. I always put a mesh strainer above the cream mixture bowl - then pour in your eggy custard when it's done. That way, it catches any bits of egg that might have cooked.

Enjoy your ice cream!

Ok, see, I think this is where my recipe sold me short. It specifically told me to get the milk hot. I did the 'add the milk to the eggs first' thing. No scrambling. But when I added the egg mixture back into the milk I got scrambled eggs. Blech. Of course, I probably didn't dilute them as much with milk as I should have (thanks, KH, for that tip).

Ok, I feel much more capable of handling a chocolate ice cream adventure. Thank you!

I just searched on his website for the chocolate ice cream recipe and noticed that he has 2 chocolate ice cream recipes- but neither is the excellent one from his book. I tried the agave nectar one because sometimes I have blood sugar issues. It was good- but very rich. I haven't tried the "easiest chocolate ice cream" recipe on his website. If you love ice cream as much as I do, his book is a "must have" for your recipe collection!

ok- this may be a dumb question, but are you all then using an ice cream maker of some sort after you make your mixture, or are you just freezing?

TIA!

Yes, It's a three step process. First I make the mixture. Then I use an ice cream mixer to mix the stovetop concoction. After it mixes to the right consistency I pack it down and freeze it in the freezer.

I didn't know that either until I started trying to make homemade ice cream.

Homemade chocolate ice cream is my favorite!! This past year, I bet I've made at least 25 gallons of it! I LOVE David Lebovitz's ice cream recipe book The Perfect Scoop. His chocolate ice cream recipe alone is worth the price of the book!!! Enjoy your ice cream!

creekmom, is this it?

http://www.phoo-d.com/2009/05/chocolate-ice-cream-straight-up.html

or this?

http://annies-eats.com/2008/07/05/milk-chocolate-ice-cream-with-brownie-bits/

or this?

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/chocolate-sorbet/

Here's a recipe from the Donvier ice cream book for Simple Chocolate Ice Cream:

1/2 c sugar

1 cup milk

2 cups whipping cream

5 oz semi sweet chocolate

Combine milk, sugar and cream over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Add chocolate and stir well or put into a blender until chocolate is melted. Chill thoroughly.

However, I much prefer the custard based chocolate ice cream with eggs. The trick is to beat the eggs well, then add the hot milk mixture *very* slowly to the eggs while whisking (and I mean like a tablespoon at a time, whisk, then add another tablespoon, etc., until you've diluted the eggs quite a bit, then they can be added back into the hot milk).

KH, that chocolate recipe you shared with me about a month back from recipegoldmine was incredible. Thanks again. Very thick, very good. That was the best homemade chocolate ice cream I've ever had. (It cost a fortune to make with all that cream for a crowd, but it was worth it.)

Paula