Menu

Have you seen the Legos on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op?

Nestof3

I bought one of the lego education sets at a homeschool convention last year. It was the Science & Technology set - 9632. I was also told to buy 9628 with it, which is a small box that seems to contain a motor or something in it.

We have only recently done the first 2 projects in our kit because I never had time to get to it during the school year. Both of my kids have enjoyed the projects we've done so far. I'm hoping to get through some more of it over the summer. I've had a hard time forcing myself to do it because the whole thing is set up in a very schoolish way and I am not great about doing hands on activities.

The way our kit works is you watch a very short, animated cd-rom "story" (it is maybe one minute long with no sound) that sets up the problem you are going to solve. Then you have the kids build the lego activity. Each activity is set up for 2 children to work on, so it comes with 2 sets of instructions so each child can build half the project and then it gets combined.

After you build, you do various activities with your project and make alterations to it to see what will make it work better. There is a worksheet where you record your findings. I think the activities have been good and I have learned from them myself since.

I hope that helps a little. I was told that the kit I bought would prepare my son for Lego Mindstorms.

Lisa

I bought one of the lego education sets at a homeschool convention last year. It was the Science & Technology set - 9632. I was also told to buy 9628 with it, which is a small box that seems to contain a motor or something in it.

We have only recently done the first 2 projects in our kit because I never had time to get to it during the school year. Both of my kids have enjoyed the projects we've done so far. I'm hoping to get through some more of it over the summer. I've had a hard time forcing myself to do it because the whole thing is set up in a very schoolish way and I am not great about doing hands on activities.

The way our kit works is you watch a very short, animated cd-rom "story" (it is maybe one minute long with no sound) that sets up the problem you are going to solve. Then you have the kids build the lego activity. Each activity is set up for 2 children to work on, so it comes with 2 sets of instructions so each child can build half the project and then it gets combined.

After you build, you do various activities with your project and make alterations to it to see what will make it work better. There is a worksheet where you record your findings. I think the activities have been good and I have learned from them myself since.

I hope that helps a little. I was told that the kit I bought would prepare my son for Lego Mindstorms.

Lisa

Thanks so much! My boys love Legos, and I would be willing to spend that kind of money if they were going to benefit from it that much, YKWIM?