Menu

Hot and Bothered

Class of '90, but for me, age probably has less to do with it than ignorance. I always thought hot and bothered meant huffy and irritated. Guess not, but that's par for the course with me.

When I was young and had heard Princess Grace of Monaco had died, I relayed the information by saying she'd died of hemmorrhoids. I inteded to say hemorrhage. Didn't know what either one meant at the time. I was 10. But age doesn't matter when you're clueless. I've continued as an adult.

A few years ago, I used the term "brown noser" in a conversation with an older woman at church. She didn't respond, but my husband later painted a vivid image of what that literally meant. Oops!

A few years ago, at an "appreciation" gathering for someone who had helped a group of ladies in their homeschooling journeys over the years, I described my admiration of this particular lady and my early desire to be friends with her by saying I was a "insert her name groupie" when I first met her. I thought it just meant I was a huge fan of hers. Kinda like the fawning that Chester the Terrier demonstrated around Spike the Bulldog in Looney Tunes. I had no idea that groupie had a s*xual connotation. Oh my!

Edited by ThelmaLou
edit

Hmmm...if someone got all hot and bothered I guess they might want to eat (chew) someone out.

Wouldn't be much hooking up after that I guess........

On the other hand, if some people hooked up and they were getting hot and bothered perhaps there could be some chewing going on....

:001_smile: Sorry, all these misuses and misunderstandings are making me laugh.

Woolybear

Class of '90, but for me, age probably has less to do with it than ignorance. I always thought hot and bothered meant huffy and irritated. Guess not, but that's par for the course with me.

When I was young and had heard Princess Grace of Monaco had died, I relayed the information by saying she'd died of hemmorrhoids. I inteded to say hemorrhage. Didn't know what either one meant at the time. I was 10. But age doesn't matter when you're clueless. I've continued as an adult.

A few years ago, I used the term "brown noser" in a conversation with an older woman at church. She didn't respond, but my husband later painted a vivid image of what that literally meant. Oops!

A few years ago, at an "appreciation" gathering for someone who had helped a group of ladies in their homeschooling journeys over the years, I described my admiration of this particular lady and my early desire to be friends with her by saying I was a "insert her name groupie" when I first met her. I thought it just meant I was a huge fan of hers. Kinda like the fawning that Chester the Terrier demonstrated around Spike the Bulldog in Looney Tunes. I had no idea that groupie had a s*xual connotation. Oh my!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh my gosh!! This had me laughing out loud! hehehe Too funny! hehehe I'm pretty clueless myself a lot of the time so I can totally relate. :)