Menu

Cake frosting question

I made my coconut cake and now I need the icing.

I found a typical fluffy icing recipe in my Betty Crocker cook book that calls for shortening and confectioners sugar. It also calls for 3-4 T milk. Dd is allergic to dairy. Could I substitute coconut milk??

You could use anykind of milk substitute. I made a cool whip like icing once from coconut milk. I put the can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge over night. In the morning I whipped it up and them blended a little powdered sugar into it till it was the right consistancy. Really good mild coconut flavor, and not too sweet.

Just use water instead of milk.

Benifits of shortening --moisture stays in cake!

Icings made with butter will 'wick' moisture from the cake--same goes for whipped cream icings--great tasting icing--cardboard cake!

I personally like a combination of butter and shortening.

I stick butter, 1/2 -3/4 cup shortening (I just estimate) start off with 1/2 cup water and beat with electric mixer (preferably a stand mixer) until fluffy. Add a dashor two of salt and 1-2 tsp vanilla (maybe a few drops of almond or lemon extract), mix a bit more then gradually add in powdered sugar--up to 2 pounds. Add water by DROPS if more is needed until icing is a nice creamy consistancy.

I like cool whip icing with coconut. You could do just straight cool whip or do a cool whip/pudding mixture (maybe vanilla).

Of course since the issue is she is allergic to dairy, that doesn't help her any - both of those contain milk :001_smile:

Any milk sub works in frosting though. I agree with the half shortening half margarine (I use earth balance too).