Menu

Math Fact Drills

leaird

My children are going to be in the 5th & 6th grades. They do well in math, but still do not know their math facts instantaneously. They tend to skip count in their hands, or worse yet on their fingers, to get the correct answer. I know this can become a major problem when they get into advanced math. I would like to incorporate some daily math fact drill into our day in an effort to correct this problem. I want it to be something that they don't dread doing. Did I mention that I hate checking papers? A computer-based program would be wonderful. Some free internet sites would be even better!

http://www.coolmath-games.com/

They have all sorts of math and logic games here. I have to check-up on DS when he plays though because he'll go for the ones that come easily rather than the things he really needs practice on. But they are all pretty good.

The Math Magician one that Chels recommended is good too. If I remember correctly, when you get them all correct in a certain amount of time you can print out a certificate. This was great encouragement and motivation to DS last summer when we were reviewing multiplication tables. He could see where he needed work and see the progress too as we added certificates to the dining room wall.