Menu

Book suggestions needed for WWI....

ABQmom

Thanks for all the WWII suggestions that I asked for earlier. Choosing the right one is my problem there and narrowing the choices down, but with WWI, what are my options? I can't find anything for WWI. I was wanting some good historical fiction or picture books. Anyone know of anything?

Thanks for all the WWII suggestions that I asked for earlier. Choosing the right one is my problem there and narrowing the choices down, but with WWI, what are my options? I can't find anything for WWI. I was wanting some good historical fiction or picture books. Anyone know of anything?

For yourself, to get yourself "in the mood", I just love The Great War and Modern Memory. About the poetry and correspondence back from the trenches.

The last third of The Face of Battle is about the Somme, and very educational, again, to give you a good background to be an inspired teacher of the subject. The Face of Battle is a remarkable book, all around.

Edited by kalanamak

I don't know what age reader you have in mind. For older teens and adults, though, I heartily recommend The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. The book focuses on the very early days (the first month, specifically) of WW-I. Should be required reading for students of the war !

We just read this last night. Very sweet. We had gotten it from the library and it came with a CD that we loved. It was a reading of the book and also singing the carols that might have been sung. I think we're going to listen a few more times before we return it.:001_smile:

our dds (9 & 11) understood it in a new way after watching the Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story. they were particularly struck by not knowing who you could trust, and how to discern truth and reality... and the horror of it all.