Menu

Is MUS worth the money?

mo2

Dd really wants to try this. I got the demo DVD and she really liked the guy, and the blocks appeal to her. Singapore is not working for us, so I had planned on trying something different for next year (1st grade), but the price of MUS is kind of holding me back. For those of you who have used it, do you think it was worth the money? Or, is there a cheaper program that is similar?

Thanks.

Dd really wants to try this. I got the demo DVD and she really liked the guy, and the blocks appeal to her. Singapore is not working for us, so I had planned on trying something different for next year (1st grade), but the price of MUS is kind of holding me back. For those of you who have used it, do you think it was worth the money? Or, is there a cheaper program that is similar?

Thanks.

I don't know of any program that is even similar to MUS and YES YES YES it is worth the money. We went through a great deal of trouble with our first dd with math because she did not understand the "why" of math. MUS made that very clear and she is doing really well - after many years of serious struggle. YES, it is worth every penny.

I'm on my 2nd child using the materials.

My 11 yo has used Gamma, Delta, Zeta and is 1/2 through Epsilon.

My 8 yo has used Alpha, Beta, Gamma and will start Delta on Monday.

I'm not a big spender, but it has been worth the money. I don't love it like some do, but it is working and is the only curriculum that I have continued to purchase & use for more than 2 years. :D

I have one finishing Delta, one finishing Gamma, and one finishing Alpha and one in the Primer. They always score very high on their Iowas, especially the Math Computation. I don't think it is that expensive compared to other curriculum, more average-- Saxon is $72, Right Start is $62, and Bob Jones is $71.50. MUS is $55 per year plus the blocks which are a one time purchase. Actually, we did the starter the first year and the completer the second year. If you have siblings coming up, then you just have to buy the student book.

My 6yo dd, is what I would consider a "normal" kid, when it comes to academics. She is our first to have started with MUS. We started her out, at age 6, with Alpha. She is doing math, all in her head. She just "gets" it. After watching her 3 older sisters learn math in different ways, I give MUS one big, huge gold star! Ds, who is 5, is doing Alpha along with bigger sis, and is doing excellent! With the use of the blocks, he can answer all the questions!

My 7yo was struggling with math something horrible a year ago. We started MUS this fall, and the light came on! She is quickly catching up to where I would like her to be...on course for Pre-Algebra as a 12yo! Yippee! I would have never thought that possible a year ago!

Now my math-y 9yo is begging to make the switch to MUS too! She loves the looks of the program and how it is layed out!

Works here! So, so, so, so worth the money spent!

Good luck!

Kelly

It's well worth it to us. I have one child who is what I'd consider average in math but he has an incredible ability to memorize facts. MUS has been great for him because the math facts are presented in a very orderly fashion. I had tried some other things with him before MUS. But, none of the things I had tried had such a clear and systematic way of presenting new facts and concepts. MUS has been so good for him. He memorized his facts effortlessly really. It just makes so much sense the way they are taught.

Now, my other son is a math whiz. Math is already his favorite subject and he crunches numbers in his head with an above average (in my opinion) ability. He both memorizes and understands concepts easily. He loves MUS. The straight-forward, uncluttered presentation has helped him to move forward very quickly. I like that it is ungraded, it has just the right amount of review, and just the right amount of problems.

So, my boys are quite different but they both enjoy MUS. I am very pleased with the results and I don't consider MUS to be too expensive at all. Don't forget, you will use the blocks long-term.

There is a MUCH cheaper program that is essentially identical to MUS. . .classic MUS, the previous edition. You can pick it up on the used market very inexpensively. I've paid between $10 and $20 for complete sets (teacher book, video, and student book). It's even cheaper than it appears because the older version covers 2 to 3 years worth of material per level.

I looked carefully at the new MUS books and do think they provide many improvements. However, the older version can't be beat as far as value.

I have a detailed comparison of old versus new MUS somewhere. Let me know if you are interested and I'll post it.

Pegasus

Here ya go:

Old: the topics jump around and it seems to get worse as you progress

through the series. Foundations didn't seem to jump around much but in Intermediate, the lessons go from simple fraction

concepts to multiplication back to more complex fraction concepts and

back again to more complicated multiplication problems. Also, the

lessons sometimes contain 2 or 3 topics. Topics continue to jump

around a bit in Advanced.

New: Organized with less jumping from topic to topic and back again.

Typically ONE new concept per lesson.

Old: Each lesson contains 4 review sheets, each including just a few

problems on the new concept and the remaining problems review of

previous lessons. You can buy a separate book of extra practice

problems if your student needs more practice on each new concept.

New: Each lesson has 3 sheets for the new concept and 3 review sheets.

Old: Tests are in the Teacher's Manual and must be copied for use.

New: Tests are in a separate book.

Old: Story problems are weak and all of similar type on a page (all

multiplication by 8, for example).

New: Story problems are mixed up a bit more but are still weak, IMHO.

New: Not expensive compared to some other popular math programs but

more than the old version used to be, mainly because each level covers

less material.

Old: Can be picked up very cheap on the second-hand market. I picked

up a complete and unused set of Intermediate AND Advanced levels for

less than one new version level from MUS.

Bottom line: I think the new version is improved in so many ways that

if a person is just starting MUS and budget is not too tight, go with

the new. However, if a person already owns the old, the old is

working for them, and budget is a concern, stick with the old. The

old is GOOD, even if the new is better. If budget is a BIG concern,

I'd even advise someone new to MUS pick up the old version cheaply,

rather than miss out on MUS completely.

We are using the old MUS and I am completely happy with Foundations.

In Intermediate, while I am still happy with each

lesson, I'm less thrilled with the jumping from topic to topic and

back again. Advanced seems to be going a bit more smoothly although the topics still jump around some. My DD picks up new concepts quickly and we wouldn't need all the extra sheets provided in the new version anyway. We don't test so that improvement is not a draw for us either. I do add in

Singapore's Challenging Word Problems and skip most of the ones in

MUS, which I would do regardless of whether I was using the new or old

MUS.

That's all. I hope it helps.

Pegasus

We are getting ready to start MUS as soon as all of the stuff arrives. The only thing I puchased new is the student books. I got the dvds and tm, blocks and the skip counting cd from fs/wtb boards here. I figure the first year looks most expensive as there are the blocks to get but after that it isn't too bad. We will have to see how it goes for us beyond that.

Melissa