Menu

First Tomato

Oh, how wonderful! I only have a wimpy little tomato that I pruned off one of my earlies that turned red sitting on the ground. It had been damaged by hail. When did you start your early tomatoes, and how (greenhouse, inside, coldframe, etc.)? What varieties do you like for earlies?

I'm having a hard time keeping up with my peas this year - we have sooo many! I wouldn't mind having tomatoes to eat with them this time next year.

Thanks!

GardenMom

I'm in Southern Indiana. We start seeds inside. Peppers in January. Tomatoes usually in February or March. Had the first pepper also this weekend.

We planted double the peas this year. Half sugar snap and half shelling. We've really had all the peas we could ever want this year. Plus I've finally was able to freeze some.

One of my favorite poems . . . dd and I used to recite it together when she was younger:

I hear my mother calling

When the summer winds blow

Go out in the garden in your old, old clothes

Pick me some runner beans and sugar snap peas

And find a ripe tomato and bring it to me please

We ate our first tomato on Sunday June 14th. Anyone else north of the Mason/Dixon line eating tomatoes? (Just to clarify - home grown tomatoes not farmers market, etc)

We also have been eating small amounts of green beans.

I am sooo jealous! Our plants are still small and it has not been as warm as usual at night. At this rate, I'll be eating my first tomato in October.

On the other hand, I hate it when the temps climb into 100's.

:001_huh:

I am amazed I'm *NOT* eating tomatoes yet, though I have tons that are about ready to turn. I've got plenty of squash and cucumbers, and the strawberries are coming in, and there's one baby bell pepper, and I see some buds starting to poke out on the okra.... I'm loving my garden!