Menu

Colorful Secular curriculum

LadyAberlin

I thought we could list all the colorful secular curriculum or curriculum with minimal religious references in it. My kindy is requesting that his books be in Color. I'll start:

McRuffy Math

1/2 of Singapore

Critical thinking company's books

Voyages in English

Great source

Michael Clay Thompson

Real Science 4 kids

My Pals are Here Science

I am not sure what you mean by in color.

My history program is big on picture books, rather than read alouds for the young grammar stage.

I would think that most science programs would do because they pull in spines that have pictures. Elemental Science would be one.

Also, I have found Abeka math to not have any religious references (so far).

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Spectrum Phonics

MCP Math (do two colors count?)

Horizons Math

Some or most of K12's stuff I believe is in color

Some of Calvert stuff

PH Science Explorer

CPO Science

Singapore Science for /inquiring Minds

Edited by sagira

Oh yeah Duh I use McRuffy Phonics and I didn't list it. Yes Lovedtodeath, Your History program would count since it has lots of picture books. My interests are mainly math and english, but I thought it would be helpful to have a comprehensive list. No for my son 2 colors won't work. I'm thinking along the lines of like Abeka and BJU colorful type stuff. I know my son likes the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History.

Oh, I'd love for my science curriculum to be counted in on this list. My student pages will be in color! :)

However, most likely, it will only be in a testing phase by fall. Early Nature Explorations, (my science curriculum) will target the first grade level but it should be easily adaptable up to fourth grade or so.

So tell me about your program. Will there be reading lists and experiments? My ds wants to do an experiment everyday and I we love checking lots of books out at the library. But I like to have lists to use to help me pick books out. I've got a great library system here. I actually have 2 library systems here, 6 library cards and have been know to have 75 books on request at once and usually have around 100 books checked out at a time:lol: I love book lists:)

LOL So how does it compare to singapore content wise?

I only have Level 1. It has it's own "twist" but it is somewhat similar to Singapore. "Ray" uses this program and "Stripe" knows this program, they could no-doubt give better insight that I on how it unfolds at upper levels. It does seem to incorporate "geometric" elements early, which I find interesting.

It's funny but the extremely colorful aspect of this program put me off of it in some measure (although I have little doubt that "content wise" it is a good program). The "workbooks" are about as colorful as the Singapore "textbooks" and the "textbooks" are about as glossy as anything I've ever seen.

Bill (who likes black and white)

So tell me about your program. Will there be reading lists and experiments? My ds wants to do an experiment everyday and I we love checking lots of books out at the library. But I like to have lists to use to help me pick books out. I've got a great library system here. I actually have 2 library systems here, 6 library cards and have been know to have 75 books on request at once and usually have around 100 books checked out at a time:lol: I love book lists:)

I was actually just thinking about this booklist idea. Originally I was going to leave it up to the parent and child to choose books of personal interest on the various topics. (I should say..in addition to the already scheduled spines and readers) But then, if I want to accomplish my goal of being extremely helpful to the new homeschool parent, I should add in a booklist. I hear ya on the library books! I think my whole family has been injured trying to cart the huge piles of books out of the library at times…

The first program is life science ala WTM style, only two days a week. Reading is scheduled the first day with CM type literature and poetry wrapped in. The second day is reserved for your choice of experiments, crafts, oral narration questions, and possibly a nature walk. There should be enough there so that you could do an activity every day if you desire.

:)

Edited by lovemykids

There should be enough there so that you could do an activity every day if you desire.
I can attest to that. There is plenty to choose from in what I have seen so far, to the point that I would consider using it as a full program (like WP Animal Worlds, but encompassing anatomy, insects and botany too, as WTM suggests). I didn't think it needed a booklist, since there are scheduled readers and read alouds, but I guess optional extras can be a good thing.

It's funny but the extremely colorful aspect of this program put me off of it in some measure (although I have little doubt that "content wise" it is a good program). The "workbooks" are about as colorful as the Singapore "textbooks" and the "textbooks" are about as glossy as anything I've ever seen.

Ha. Japanese aesthetic has two heads -- the austere and the wildly overdone. (In my opinion.) Certain Japanese TV programs are hilarious to watch -- they have the normal audio/oral component PLUS another level of writing all over the screen, in various colors, that may be best described as a sort of "Greek chorus" commentary. And have you seen Japanese kids' lunch boxes? Even the sandwiches and fruits are prettied up.

So I guess the math book has to compete for attention in between the rabbit shaped boiled egg and the seaweed cutout faces on the riceball.

----

Another suggestion: The Plaid Phonics looks rather colorful.

Also if you can incorporate games - that's always exciting.

Ha. Japanese aesthetic has two heads -- the austere and the wildly overdone. (In my opinion.) Certain Japanese TV programs are hilarious to watch -- they have the normal audio/oral component PLUS another level of writing all over the screen, in various colors, that may be best described as a sort of "Greek chorus" commentary. And have you seen Japanese kids' lunch boxes? Even the sandwiches and fruits are prettied up.

So I guess the math book has to compete for attention in between the rabbit shaped boiled egg and the seaweed cutout faces on the riceball.

----

I believe your analysis is spot-on.

Bill

I haven't been able to see Samples of it on the inside.
Nor have I.

The Michael Clay Thompson curriculum about gave me a heart attack! Over $200 and you still haven't covered literature or spelling. The samples were terrible for my eyes (I hate that scribble font), but there were things there that I am sure I could learn from. So... I don't know if I like it or not. :tongue_smilie:

Nor have I.

The Michael Clay Thompson curriculum about gave me a heart attack! Over $200 and you still haven't covered literature or spelling. The samples were terrible for my eyes (I hate that scribble font), but there were things there that I am sure I could learn from. So... I don't know if I like it or not. :tongue_smilie:

You really don't need the student manuals for anything but the Practice books. The "Basic" homeschool bundles are about half that price (a bit over $100), and include grammar, writing, vocabulary, and poetry. They do have literature guides that run about $15 and cover 2-3 grades.

I like the looks of Great Source and Voyages in English, but the TM alone are $100. Yeah the more I look at MCT the more I think it wouldn't work for me.

So lovemykids, when are your science curriculum samples going to up to see. We're doing life science and chemistry this yr. We are doing a combo of Real Science Odyssey and RS4K Bio for life science and The Elements and RS4k for chem. But who knows if I like yours better.......Did I mention I'm a curriculum junkie?:lol:

Oh sure, I mean from one curriculum junkie to another, I think you should be able to juggle at least three more science programs….:lol:

In all seriousness, I’d love you to test my program, if you can find the time. I am working out a few kinks in my samples, but the first two weeks of the teacher pages should be up soon….(this week) with the samples of the notebook coming shortly after.

Oh sure, I mean from one curriculum junkie to another, I think you should be able to juggle at least three more science programs….:lol:

In all seriousness, I’d love you to test my program, if you can find the time. I am working out a few kinks in my samples, but the first two weeks of the teacher pages should be up soon….(this week) with the samples of the notebook coming shortly after.

I want to hear more about your curriculum! We're starting our first year of homeschooling (with a first grader) in a couple of weeks and our homeschooling style is a mix of classical education and Charlotte Mason.

I want to hear more about your curriculum! We're starting our first year of homeschooling (with a first grader) in a couple of weeks and our homeschooling style is a mix of classical education and Charlotte Mason.

I hope to cover all of the learning styles, while mixing a touch of CM with TWM science…

Biology: Animals, Plants and Human Body

Some things that I plan to include:

Classification wall chart instructions, collecting various insects and keeping them as pets, narration art pages, simple crafts, grow a pet life cycle kits, silly experiments,scientific experiments, making various types of bird feeders, nature walks, backyard activities, zoo visit, farm visit, acting out the animals, science readers, old fashioned CM type stories will be scheduled; some for fun and others are educational, movie suggestions, planting a garden, container gardening, possible book lists, Internet links (videos, interactive sites, etc.), coloring pages....

(And keeping all of this low cost, with options to use less expensive materials…)

If you could test this for me, I’d appreciate it!