Menu

What is critically important for an 8 1/2 yr. old to know now for later years?

Dianne-TX

I tend to be in the "relaxed" camp and focus on the basics. (math, copywork, narration, reading practice) I'm fairly confident in what we do for our education. Of course, there's Bible and scripture memory and character training and a lot of read alouds, too. We do the extra subjects (science mainly) by using library books, nature study, field trips, etc. I often think, though, am I going to "regret" or in some way "miss" something with ds now that he'll need later? Am I being naive now and one day it's all going to hit and I'm going to realize that I shouldn't have been confident in what we do? What is too relaxed and that I won't be able to get back later? KWIM? I've always heard that 4th grade becomes more serious and is the transitional stage. Am I still okay with relaxed at 8 1/2? What is something you wish you could go back and change that you see now would have helped in later years? Thanks.

I think relaxed until 10 is fine, unless there are developmental issues. AND, if you have taught work ethic and obedience. Otherwise, when you need him to stop working as hard about playing and chores and start working harder on writing and such....You will have a problem.

Carrie:-)

:iagree:

I tend to be in the "relaxed" camp and focus on the basics. (math, copywork, narration, reading practice) I'm fairly confident in what we do for our education. Of course, there's Bible and scripture memory and character training and a lot of read alouds, too. We do the extra subjects (science mainly) by using library books, nature study, field trips, etc. I often think, though, am I going to "regret" or in some way "miss" something with ds now that he'll need later? Am I being naive now and one day it's all going to hit and I'm going to realize that I shouldn't have been confident in what we do? What is too relaxed and that I won't be able to get back later? KWIM? I've always heard that 4th grade becomes more serious and is the transitional stage. Am I still okay with relaxed at 8 1/2? What is something you wish you could go back and change that you see now would have helped in later years? Thanks.

That is precisely how I have taught for the last 15 yrs and continue to teach. I simply increase reading amt and shift writing from copywork to independent writing and increase the amt yr by yr. :) I give writing assignments across subjects (usually science and history until they are older and then from lit as well)

We don't use science textbooks until middle school, etc. ETA: By 6th grade, their workload is quite full. A general rule of thumb is approx 1 hr of school/grade level until 6th grade and then between 6-12, around 6-8 hrs per day.....some days more, some days less)

My oldest is doing exceedingly well in college. No regrets. :D

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

A general rule of thumb is approx 1 hr of school/grade level until 6th grade and then between 6-12, around 6-8 hrs per day.....some days more, some days less)

Hmm... This rule sounds interesting. Am I right to assume that this time frame is time spent in pure academics, and doesn't include things like read alouds, crafts and nature walks?

Hmm... This rule sounds interesting. Am I right to assume that this time frame is time spent in pure academics, and doesn't include things like read alouds, crafts and nature walks?

It doesn't for my k-2 crowd, but it does for my 3-6th grade kids (except for the crafts.......that isn't counted in academic "focus time.") I read aloud for long periods of time each day to each of my older kids and it is part of their school day.

I think the only thing you might want to do is look at WWE to help turn those narrations (loose, whatever he thinks is important) toward more consise, precise summaries (4th gr skill) which then translates into outlining (5th) and eventually paragraphs and multi-paragraph essays. WTM tells all about that, and the new WWE is fabulous for helping you implement it.