Menu

So if you were going to set up the perfect yard for a dog . . .

what would it look like?

We have six weeks before we get our puppy, who will be about 16 weeks old at that time. DH and I want to make a few changes to our yard in preparation for the puppy's arrival.

Our main goal is to set up one main area for puppy to do his business. Our previous dog left "presents" all over the yard, and I would much rather train this one immediately to keep going to the same area. But should that area be a patch of grass? Pea gravel? What would be a surface that would be easy for *us* to clean, but also one that the dog will be willing to use as its main bathroom area?

I should warn you that our yard is VERY small. It is a fenced yard that is currently about half grass and half lava rocks, broken up into several different sections. I realize that the dog cannot go on the lava rocks. (Our previous dog avoided those sharp things at all costs.) So one of the options is to take up the lava rocks on one yard section and convert it to grass - or pea gravel - in time for puppy's arrival.

I know many of you are dog experts, and also that several of you have recently gotten puppies. I have the perfect opportunity to really think through our puppy preparations and set things up how we want. I haven't gotten a puppy in 19 years, so I feel like I'm starting from scratch here! :) (I have gone through numerous dog obedience classes before, and have already ordered a couple good training books to refresh my memory.)

Thanks in advance for any input or "20/20 hindsight" recommendations!

Oh, and we're getting a collie puppy, a male. We've had a collie before and are familiar with the breed.

Since you asked for the perfect yard, I'd say grass with an added designated digging spot, like a big sand box.

Also, a wading pool would be nice with some water squeaky toys.

Just like having a preschooler, huh? LOL

Enjoy!! Our puppy is finally almost 18 months and just now getting easy to live with. It's a long haul, but worth it!

what would it look like?

We have six weeks before we get our puppy, who will be about 16 weeks old at that time. DH and I want to make a few changes to our yard in preparation for the puppy's arrival.

Our main goal is to set up one main area for puppy to do his business. Our previous dog left "presents" all over the yard, and I would much rather train this one immediately to keep going to the same area. But should that area be a patch of grass? Pea gravel? What would be a surface that would be easy for *us* to clean, but also one that the dog will be willing to use as its main bathroom area?

I should warn you that our yard is VERY small. It is a fenced yard that is currently about half grass and half lava rocks, broken up into several different sections. I realize that the dog cannot go on the lava rocks. (Our previous dog avoided those sharp things at all costs.) So one of the options is to take up the lava rocks on one yard section and convert it to grass - or pea gravel - in time for puppy's arrival.

I know many of you are dog experts, and also that several of you have recently gotten puppies. I have the perfect opportunity to really think through our puppy preparations and set things up how we want. I haven't gotten a puppy in 19 years, so I feel like I'm starting from scratch here! :) (I have gone through numerous dog obedience classes before, and have already ordered a couple good training books to refresh my memory.)

Oh, and we're getting a collie puppy, a male. We've had a collie before and are familiar with the breed.

We have the pea gravel for ours. We live in SD but it does get hot here. One thing I do know it the doo is much easier to clean up out of the pea gravel than grass. If the heat is an issue pick a shaded area?

Since you asked for the perfect yard, I'd say grass with an added designated digging spot, like a big sand box.

Also, a wading pool would be nice with some water squeaky toys.

Just like having a preschooler, huh? LOL

Enjoy!! Our puppy is finally almost 18 months and just now getting easy to live with. It's a long haul, but worth it!

Just a thought, we were told that sand has a tendency to harbor flees?

Just a thought, we were told that sand has a tendency to harbor flees?

Oh, maybe so! Good point!

Our puppy is treated with Frontline and we haven't thought twice about fleas. She's had not even one that I know of but this is a really good point.

Maybe a big dirt pile, instead of sand! Someplace to dig besides the flower beds!

Well now, you said perfect and I'm thinking maximum dog fun!

I'm trying to put myself in the position of the paw owner. :D

But seriously, if you give them enough exercise and attention, I think you can manage the digging if you get a digger. It's a bored dog's occupation, I think.

Our puppy only digs to hide her treats. Although, she'll get in the sandbox with the kids and go to it if they're playing in it!

My "collie" breed diggers would dig to uncover a cool patch of ground to lie down on. My terrier dug to uncover moles, mice ad other varmits. For your pup, I'd provide a shady area with a bit of extra dirt for a cool area.

Now an ideal back yard would include a couple of sheep to herd, varmits to defend the house from or an agility course with a lot of people interaction.

What does my collie-type breed (from working lines no less) have? A townhouse without a yard, lots of walks and 2-3 trips to the dog park during a week. Most important is he has lots of people interaction.

What does my collie-type breed (from working lines no less) have? A townhouse without a yard, lots of walks and 2-3 trips to the dog park during a week. Most important is he has lots of people interaction.[/quote]

This is what I was going to say. The most important part of a collie's yard, is a door to come back into the house. Even if they just get to sleep in a kennel in one of your rooms, the interaction of being with their pack is so important.

Also, of course, I wanted to kick in that you may wish to look into a raw food diet (species appropriate diet). This cuts way down on them chewing on your shoes, when they get to chew down their food, and chew on some really good bones. Lots of info online about "why's" and how to do it...and what foods not to give ever...like grapes. Just a thought :001_smile:

Now an ideal back yard would include a couple of sheep to herd, varmits to defend the house from or an agility course with a lot of people interaction.

What does my collie-type breed (from working lines no less) have? A townhouse without a yard, lots of walks and 2-3 trips to the dog park during a week. Most important is he has lots of people interaction.

Yes, I love the sheep idea! I guess he'll have to make do with four kids. It should still provide plenty of challenge since I know *we* always feel like we're herding cats! :lol:

However, in all seriousness, I do understand what you mean about what is *really* important for a collie. We do have a small yard, but it's enough for a dog to do its business and even have a "crazy run" when it gets the urge.

But having had a collie before, I realize that what is really important is the people interaction. He'll get his walks and opportunity to exercise . . . but he'll mostly get a loving family who understand his breed.

What does my collie-type breed (from working lines no less) have? A townhouse without a yard, lots of walks and 2-3 trips to the dog park during a week. Most important is he has lots of people interaction.[/quote]

This is what I was going to say. The most important part of a collie's yard, is a door to come back into the house. Even if they just get to sleep in a kennel in one of your rooms, the interaction of being with their pack is so important.

Also, of course, I wanted to kick in that you may wish to look into a raw food diet (species appropriate diet). This cuts way down on them chewing on your shoes, when they get to chew down their food, and chew on some really good bones. Lots of info online about "why's" and how to do it...and what foods not to give ever...like grapes. Just a thought :001_smile:

I agree with you! We did a lot of research about this before we brought our last collie home, and she happily slept next to our bed for the rest of her life. :)

As we've been researching collie breeders this time around, I've run into several who advocate a natural diet. I will have to look into that further. Good reminder about the grapes, thanks.

what would it look like?

Hi Lynn,

You have received lots of great yards advice so I don't think you need anymore :001_smile: I lived in Hawaii for 3 years from 1987-1990 and was a member of The Collie Club of Hawaii, so I am curious who you are buying a puppy from. It would be a small world if it was someone I knew. I loved being in the Collie Club , even though I owned Shelties, I used to be their show secretary etc. They also have the best Christmas party. I made many wonderful friendship through the club. I was also active in The Windward Dog Training club. They have wonderful obedience classes. Please PM me if you want more local information (although it might be outdated at this time as it has been years) I do know a few of my old friends are still showing collies in HAwaii. We are currently feeding our Pembroke Corgi Solid Gold dog food and it is fantastic.

Karen

Edited by Mrs. Readsalot

Maybe a big dirt pile, instead of sand! Someplace to dig besides the flower beds!

Whenever I plant flowers or vegetables in the ground (as opposed to in a raised box), I start digging, and my collie comes over to finish the job for me. It's really neat to have such a helpful dog. He does a great job, fast.

Edited by RoughCollie

Hi Lynn,

You have received lots of great yards advice so I don't think you need anymore :001_smile: I lived in Hawaii for 3 years from 1987-1990 and was a member of The Collie Club of Hawaii, so I am curious who you are buying a puppy from. It would be a small world if it was someone I knew. I loved being in the Collie Club , even though I owned Shelties, I used to be their show secretary etc. They also have the best Christmas party. I made many wonderful friendship through the club. I was also active in The Windward Dog Training club. They have wonderful obedience classes. Please PM me if you want more local information (although it might be outdated at this time as it has been years) I do know a few of my old friends are still showing collies in HAwaii. We are currently feeding our Pembroke Corgi Solid Gold dog food and it is fantastic.

Karen

Karen, I will PM you. :)

Whenever I plant flowers or vegetables in the ground (as opposed to in a raised box), I start digging, and my collie comes over to finish the job for me. It's really neat to have such a helpful dog. He does a great job, fast.

I love your avatar! Beautiful collie. :) Is that your dog? (I mean, I know you have a collie, but I wasn't sure if that was his/her actual picture.) How old is he/she?

That's cute about your collie helping you in the garden! Our late collie just wasn't a digger at all.

We actually put a flag, like the ones for underground fences in a corner where we wanted the dog to do his business. EVERYTIME, he went out to go to the bathroom we took him to the flag and said, "Go to the flag". Then when he went we immediately gave him a treat (tiny bits of cheese). If we caught him getting ready to squat in the yard away from the area, we would immediately pick him up and say," go to the flag" and treat him again, ONLY when he went. He is 3 years old and the flag is long gone and he only does his business in 1 spot:)

We actually put a flag, like the ones for underground fences in a corner where we wanted the dog to do his business. EVERYTIME, he went out to go to the bathroom we took him to the flag and said, "Go to the flag". Then when he went we immediately gave him a treat (tiny bits of cheese). If we caught him getting ready to squat in the yard away from the area, we would immediately pick him up and say," go to the flag" and treat him again, ONLY when he went. He is 3 years old and the flag is long gone and he only does his business in 1 spot:)

Nice job! That's exactly the type of thing I had in mind.

DH and I were browsing through a pet store this weekend, and we found a special plastic stake (maybe 6-8" high) that was treated with dog pheremones. Supposedly, it is virtually guaranteed to make you dog want to go wee on it. :lol: I don't know if it works for sure, but we went ahead and got it to give it a try.