Menu

How important is it to learn to swim with the "correct" technique?

My youngest dd (3 1/2) is fearless around water. She's taking swim lessons through June, 2 days a week and LOVES them. It's a swimming school that only does swimming and they have swim teams for older kids. I think it follows the Red Cross levels? She's in advanced level 1, which means she's very comfortable putting her face in, holding her breath, jumping right in, blowing through her nose, can do a few strokes but not yet truly swimming on her own.

They stress correct, one arm at a time, stroke technique. She's trying to adopt more of a side-motion (like wiping something off of a table) stroke, which they are working on correcting. My oldest dd did the same swim lessons, but finally adapted the same side-swiping technique. While she's not yet a strong swimmer, she's getting there and is getting stronger and more comfortable as the summer goes on.

My biggest priority is that she can get to the side of the pool if she falls in, not that she work towards being competitive.

So my question....... I've been thinking of enrolling younger in another session of swim lessons. BUT I'm wondering if we just need to let her practice and adopt her own swim stroke and not worry so much about the nitpicky technique things? Or is it worth the investment in time now to maintain the right form and she'll be a stronger swimmer in the long-run because of it?

Edited by snickelfritz

I would keep her in as long as it is doable for you.

Improper strokes will slow her down if she were to fall in. I would imagine, being able to have a basic correct freestyle stroke form will make it more likely that she is able to get to the dock or side of a pool if she falls in.

People panic if they fall in and are often clothed, weighing them down. The water is most likely going to be colder than a pool, shocking them even more and their head is lower in the water because of it. A little kid can get tired very, very fast in these circumstances.

If she is side swiping her arm now, that would not go away without instruction IMHO. At that age she should stay in lessons for a few more levels, and do a basic refresher class at least once a year. In the other levels they will learn other strokes like back stroke and breast stroke. These could be very beneficial to her if she fell in and needed to swim any distance at all. In choppy water (even a pool on a windy day) freestyle can be hard on a little kid, because the water slaps them in the face. Knowing a few different strokes may be beneficial if she has the ability to think her actions through and switch to a stroke like back stroke.

:iagree: Correct form gets them through the water so much faster. Once it is learned it is also that much easier to do, making swimming that much more enjoyable. I was just watching my ds swim across the pool the other day. He was doing ok, then he kind of stopped to take a deep breath then he went into correct form for front crawl and just shot through the water. It really makes a big difference. Bad habits take longer to undo too. I do recommend letting your daughter practice outside of class time so she can also have fun without being pressured. Swimming should be fun! It is my favorite sport, the only one where you can't fall down. :tongue_smilie:

correct technique will allow you to swim much further. Perhaps you are thinking that your dc only needs to know how to paddle 10 feet if she falls in the pool unexpectedly. However, I think children should stay in lessons through multiple skill levels. When they get just a little older you and they will have other commitments and won't get to lessons. When they get older they will go places without you and may make choices like not wearing a lifejacket or properly securing the jacket. Such choices cause a lake outing with friends or youth group rafting trip to turn deadly for some teens. So while you don't plan on your dc participating in swim team, I would urge you to consider good technique beyond it's application to racing. I would also urge you to spend time in the water beyond lessons. It is through playing in the water kids develop a good sense of how to respond to the water, how to get their body in the most bouyant position, etc. So, stay in lessons and get to the pool a lot in the summer.

I had a high school class mate drown in a lake in our town in 10th grade. It was a Sunday afternoon, no drinking. He was on his fathers pontoon boat with friends. He got a cramp and didn't know how to respond his friends didn't realize his problem wasn't a "joke" until too late. Years later another classmate survived fishing boat charter sinking in the Chesapeake Bay. You don't know when you will use the skill and as parents you won't be there always.

I'm biased. My kids stayed in lessons or on swim team from age 2 until they were 12. Oldest is not a great swimmer, but I know he will survive. I teach swimming.

I feel it is very important for kids to learn proper technique. My biggest concern wouldn't be the pool but the ocean in my area. We spend a great deal of time in the water and even when there is a light chop or current the water can quickly take a tool. By knowing the proper technique DS doesn't wear out as fast and can safely make it to the boat. I can't imagine not teaching DS proper technique. I personally would continue lesson to ensure both your children become strong swimmers.

Our swim instructor emphasizes correct form so that you can save yourself quickly if you fall in and to also conserve energy. For example, treading water saves energy but you have to do it correctly or you sink. Also, swimming on your back will help conserve energy also. Correctly swimming will also allow you to cover more water quickly so that you can get to safety quickly.

Louise

Now I'm thinking I should also put my older back in swim lessons. She's very against going, so that may be a whole different post. But the problems that you all have described fit her. She can swim in the deep, but gets easily flustered and tired. So, for sure not at a safe swimming ability.

We do have a neighborhood pool and I'm trying to get them there at least a couple of times a week. Once it truly warms up, it will be easier. We've been cool and rainy.

The good thing about homeschooling is that we also have the month of August to swim, instead of heading back to school.