Menu

We have liftoff... on reading!

My younger ds has known his letters and sounds for sooooo long, and actually writes pretty well--he can print words if you spell them, upper and lower case--but no reading! No interest, and somewhat resistant to any suggested attempt at learning. Since our first son was reading younger and without instruction (yes, we know that's not the norm) dh and I have been flumoxed--are we supposed to do something? What? When?

Tonight I decided to pull out the little Phonics story books (the ones like Bob books, but they aren't) that we haven't tried for a while. And it happened.

"A c-aa-t. A cat. A t-aa-nn... a tan cat."

Boo-yah! It was an amazing moment, one we'd never really gotten to experience with our older son, and we had high fives all around. Just wanted to share! (Doin' the happy dance) :)

Congratulations and shared happiness to you! Our now 11 year old took forEVER to learn. As it turns out, she does have some processing issues, but I so remember the days when she finally started to fit it all together. Yea for you all! wtg.gif

Doran