Menu

I need a FUN subject for K-3...

Deana FL

looking for suggestions for a curricula that is very hands-on and fun for a co-op class with about 5 younger elementary boys. Thinking lego building, construction, and...uhhh...yeah, that's why I need help.

I'm already planning to do SOTW for one session...I need help with the other.

TIA..

Lego has an entire educational department. You might check them, tho it's pricey. Maybe if you just got a manual for ideas? http://www.legoeducation.com/store/?global=usa

Some other things kids have enjoyed in our co-ops...

- improvisation skits

- tae kwan do including chopping a board in half

- weather, including going outside to look at wind etc & building gauges

- paper airplanes we did with a missionary story but could be tied to aerodynamics :o)

- castle projects & showing different things about castles

- science experiments that are very hands-on, such as chemistry

- cooking (& eating)

- phy ed type things, which could be indoors such as relays with something on a spoon etc

Also many curriculums have activities on a topic. We're using SOTW-4 activity guide this year, and there are tons of activities my son has enjoyed. Making Enfield rifle cartridges vs. the old "powder" type & timing the different loading times... very boy stuff!

This is not really a curriculum, but my ds and his friend are really enjoying Amazing Academy Survival book. It has a couple of pages that you read and then experiments that you do to go along with it. I think they are going to come out with quite a few Amazing Academy books. I know there is one about spies and spying.

Here is a link from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Academy-Survival-Nick-Page/dp/1846108179

There are 2 different books in one package. One is called the manual and the other is called the hands-on book.

HTH

Dinosaurs :D I did a class with some younger kids this year on dinosaurs. We made dinosaurs out of Sculpey clay, we made some cardboard models (press and punch out type), we also made archaeopteryx (sp?) gliders and a couple of other things. I read a short picture book type story each time. It was a lot of fun.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
This is not really a curriculum, but my ds and his friend are really enjoying Amazing Academy Survival book. It has a couple of pages that you read and then experiments that you do to go along with it. I think they are going to come out with quite a few Amazing Academy books. I know there is one about spies and spying.

Here is a link from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Academy-Survival-Nick-Page/dp/1846108179

There are 2 different books in one package. One is called the manual and the other is called the hands-on book.

HTH

OOOH! This is cool! Since you can't preview it on Amazon, I looked it up through the publisher and you can see some samples here. This will be a real winner with DS6 and DH!

Thanks!

I pulled together a class on military history for a primarily boy co-op a few years ago. It was a lot of fun. This past year I also did a "Dangerous Class for Boys" based on the Dangerous Book for Boys. For each class we would read one of the stories (battles, extraordinary individuals,) do some sort of project (fletching arrows, sending Morse code) and do some memory work (Rudyard Kipling's "If".)

If you wanted something already laid-out for you, I'd go with one of the "Science in a Nutshell" kits. Everything you need for four students (or up to four teams) is included in a plastic bin. We really enjoyed the ones on "Electricity" and "Energy and Motion."

Good luck!

Oooh, Dangerous Book for Boys would be cool. A co-op near here offered that (and its girly counterpart) as a class last year. If any of the boys are cub scouts, it might be repetitive some of the time... but not always. It's a cool little book, and there's also a version for younger kids - "How to Be the Best at Everything, for Boys" (and there's a girl book too... and a Moms book!).