Menu

Roll call of graduating seniors!

My oldest is finishing up his last project and graduates on Saturday afternoon.

I'm busy making a scrapbook of photos, certificates and work samples from his homeschooling years, and having a good laugh at some of his older projects. He was so creative and enthusiastic but his spelling and writing were such a nightmare! I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to relax, that he will indeed finally learn how to write. The photographs have been great to pull out too -- it is so fun to look back at how cute and cuddly these lanky teens used to be! It's been quite a journey and I'm feeling proud for us both!

He has commencement with his charter school, then we're heading to Disneyland for a short vacation and celebration.

I'm also planning to do something in appreciation of all the friends who helped me through the journey and the adults who mentored him along the way. I've taken a few to lunch already and will likely send a senior photo and personal note from each of us to some others.

Who else is finishing their homeschool journey this month and what are you doing to celebrate?

My oldest graduated last month!!

We had a party for family and friends that was just lovely!!!

In two weeks, she's going on a cruise to the Bahamas with her Grandmother and then traveling on to Disneyworld!

She's taking the summer off from classes and then returning to the community college in the fall.

So she's spending time with us, as well as her boyfriend and his family, and just generally relaxing and enjoying her free time!

I'm still tying up loose ends for the transcript. We had a family celebration in April, and ds is planning a couple of out of state visits to family. He's planning to enroll at the local CC in the fall. I'm working on creating some kind of announcement to send to family and friends.

Martha

We had a big family/friends party on Saturday with all of his favorite foods, and a couple of relatives came from out of town to celebrate with us.

We also had a very nice ceremony with our homeschool group for him and the other graduates. Our guest speaker was a young lady who graduated from homeschool 6 years ago. She talked about the impact her homeschooling has had on her college career and her life. I found it very inspiring to hear of her successes and to hear her talk about the biggest benefits of homeschooling in her eyes.

She said that in retrospect she really cherishes the relationships she formed with her parents and her siblings, and she still feels very close to them even though she has been living away from them and doesn't see them as often as she'd like. She also enjoyed the security of being able to develop her own identity and interests and not worry so much about what her peers think she should become. Lastly, she talked about the myth that homeschoolers are not socialized and cannot get along in the "real world". Her own experience is that homeschoolers are typically socialized by people in the "real world" and that socialization primarily by one's peer group is not preparing many schooled kids for the "real world". Six years from now, I hope my son has similar reflections on his homeschooling journey.

Last night, my son and I attended a scholarship reception at the local library. He was selected, along with about 15 other kids from area public & private schools to receive a small scholarship from a local scholarship foundation. I was very proud of him and excited that this committee selected a homeschooler to receive one of its awards.

Now he gets to spend his summer at the local ice cream place dishing up cold treats before heading off to college this fall.

Congratulations to everyone with a senior this year. Also, I can't say this enough to the folks on this board (and to SWB & JW) whom I've gotten to know over the last 7 years:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

for all of your advice, ideas, support, etc. I couldn't have done it without you!

Brenda

Edited by Brenda in MA

He's at his college already, doing the summer sailing program. We had a simple family party for his graduation. I lined up most of his high school books and tacked some things from his travels, some gymnastics medals, some photos, his transcript, his acceptance letter, and a few papers to a piece of cardboard and balanced it on top. His last class was really special. I posted about it while this post was being written LOL. I, too, want to thank everyone who has helped us so much, and especially SWB and JW.

-Nan

Brenda, I loved your post! It is so true that our journey has been made infinitely more rich through the support and ideas we have been able to garner from each other.

Anyway, my oldest dd graduated on May 23rd in a private ceremony we held at our church in conjunction with one other graduate. She left the next day with her dad for college orientation at the University of Arizona, and is pretty much counting the days until she gets to move there more permanently in mid-August. She too is working this summer.

One down, three to go! ;)

It's been fun reading about all the other graduatess.

I also have a senior. She participated in a senior completion ceremony at the local homeschooling resource center where she has taken some classes over the past six years. It was a great ceremony as the 21 seniors presented a joint PowerPoint presentation and were able to take to the stage if they wished. One senior presented a monologue, another a speech, a trio performed a song, while another senior sang and accompanied herself on the piano. My daughter read a Latin poem and translated it into English. The next day she took two finals at the local community college where she's taken a variety of classes over the past two years.

No luck on the summer job front as yet though she is still looking. We live in an area with an exceptionally high unemployment rate.

Come fall, she'll be off to a four year college.

Regards,

Kareni

I've really enjoyed reading these; this board has been a real help to me in our journey through high school. It is hard for me to believe we are done as well.

We finished up the class work in mid-May and ds had graduation with his oversight academy on last Friday. It was really neat, caps and gowns and a wonderful speaker. I was surprised by how large the class was, we graduated 48 seniors. The speaker, a youth pastor, was wonderful. The kids, for the most part, were really riveted to him. He talked about writing your own story and making it worth reading. I thought it was really well framed and inspiring.

We had our grad party a couple weeks ago on Memorial Day....it rained! So, we got to find out what it is like to have 44 people in the house! A bit crowded, but we all had a good time anyway.

Ds is away at the beach this week with the seniors from church. Each year the graduating seniors and a group of chaperons rent a house down in Duck NC and they go for the week. He has had a blast. He was very excited about his first road trip. 4 of the guys on the trip are in his oversight academy and he is very close friends with them.

As for summer plans....well, I'm not sure. We have talked about him trying to get a little job of some sort, but he also needs to take a bunch of placement tests and two clep tests, so I'm not sure how that will all work out in terms of time.

I'm out job hunting myself....cross your fingers for me ladies! It would be nice to have a job to help pay for that college!