Menu

Tell me more vs. Rosetta stone

Is anyone familiar with both of the foreign language programs and know which is the better one? Tell Me More has a 4 year program and is highly rated by Rainbow Resource as the perfect program and, of course, Rosetta Stone is supposed to be wonderful too and has only a 3 year program but much pricier.

I would appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Is anyone familiar with both of the foreign language programs and know which is the better one? Tell Me More has a 4 year program and is highly rated by Rainbow Resource as the perfect program and, of course, Rosetta Stone is supposed to be wonderful too and has only a 3 year program but much pricier.

I would appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Having used Rosetta Stone, I think it has its strong points, but the student will not learn much grammar, at least in the older version.

It's good for learning to hear & read German, to learn syntax & vocabulary. We're getting a German grammar to supplement for my dd's freshman year so that she can get a high school credit. We have the older 2 level version. It's the homeschool version with a workbook, so dd has done some written work already. Okay for pre-high school when we're not counting credits, but not okay for high school. If she does German 2-4 years in high school, I'll expect her to know German grammar, be able to write a letter in German, read things in German, etc. Ideally, she'll get to get some conversational practice with one or more German speakers, but I'm not sure yet how that will happen.

I was allowed to give 2 years of credit for the old Rosetta Stone Level 1. Yes, not much grammar. So, my kids can just start at the beginning again in college. And, who would want to go straight into intermediate anyway? We can't use Tell Me More because it doesn't run on a MAC.

We have used both for French. Tell Me More requires a lot more reading/spelling comprehension than RS. I think that TMM is definitely a better product.

However, I won't give high school credit for either on their own. (I'm very picky about what I think is appropriate work level for high school credit.) I think combining TMM with something like Breaking the Barrier is a good mix b/c it gives them tons of audio/speaking exposure along with traditional high school grammar (verb conjugations, etc)

There is a homeschool version of RS that has a workbook to specifically work on the grammar pieces. You are wrong if you think you are not getting grammar - you are - it is just not obvious (like the antiquated way of conjugating verbs on the board for hours), and that is how we acquire language - through using it not memorizing rules. The reality is you can work grammar and vocabulary all day but if you cannot understand it or speak it the grammar has no value. Some languages go through a level 5 in RS (Spanish for example). I am fluent in Spanish and am using the Italian course and I cannot believe what I already know in a short amount of time. It is very user friendly and I would recommend it to anyone. I also use it in the classroom to diversify instruction or for kids that need extra practice.

Another completely different option is to get a live native speaking tutor using Skype (free to download software). I practice my speaking when it gets rusty with a tutor in Costa Rica. I found him through www.mypersonallanguagetutor.com. You can do group classes or individual as often as you like. The prices are reasonable compared to a class, finding a local tutor or purchasing software, and learning from a native speaker is priceless. Just something to consider.

Edited by momsquared